Reload this Page >

Tips for Getting Theatre Tickets in London

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

For my next quick trip (my job takes me to many different cities), I'll be London for a few days at the beginning of September. I would love to see the new (as yet untitled) Mike Leigh play which will be in previews during that time. I tried checking online, calling the box office and asking for help from the concierge at the hotel where I'll be staying, but had no luck. Any suggestions for getting a ticket would be very welcome.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for other good plays (preferably not musicals), I would love to hear them.

Many thanks!

Sarah
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:10 AM

There are quite a number of on-line ticket agencies; just Google on "London theatre tickets."
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM

I don't get what you're saying about no luck booking the new Mike Leigh play. You can book online on the National Theatre website or call them:

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?l...erf&id=LEIGH05

The site lists dates of the play and according to the site none of the dates are sold out but are available for booking online.

Meanwhile I'd check www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk for lots of suggestions. And also review that National Theatre website as there are a lot of very interesting things happening there.

I personally don't get the idea of paying extra to book through an agency, when in London you can call most theatres direct for the best selection of seats and not pay any (or very, very minimal) fees for booking. It's really easy -- if only Broadway would do that.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. I had gone to the National Theatre site originally and just went back hoping that I missed something, but it indicates that all the performances are sold out (they aren't "live" links that would allow me to buy tickets online). Sadly, there are no tickets available for anything at the National Theatre the weekend I'll be there!

I agree with you about booking directly with the theater rather than an agent. Still, I am only in London for a short time and fear that I don't have many options...

Sarah
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:22 PM

ttt
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:29 PM

Do you know the Joe Orton play What the Butler Saw? It is a very funny and clever comedy/farce bordering on theatre of the absurd. There is what is supposed to be a terrific production of it moving to the West End for a limited run of 9 weeks.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:37 PM

I just looked at
www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk and booked Les Miserable tickets for our September trip. It takes you to a Ticketmaster site, so I paid the fee, but now I know I have tickets waiting.

It's easier than getting Broncos tickets, that's for sure.

Jules
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:00 PM

Too late to help Jules - but for others wanting to see Les Miz -- it is almost always available at the TKTS 1/2 price ticket booth.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sarah, We had a similar experience last year when we couldn't find tickets ahead of time on line for a (much anticipated) show previewing in the West End. Called the box office and they said stop by the theatre and see if there's something available. We did and had no problem getting good seats. This isn't your identical situation since you said the box office wasn't helpful, but give it shot!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM

The Mike Leigh play has been sold out !

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...747738,00.html

16,000 tickets gone!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM

And regarding getting those Les Miz tickets. You could have just as easily called the theatre direct and they'd hold the tickets for you without the fee. What's more, usually the theatre can discuss which seats are best more intelligently than Ticketmaster so you are likely to get better seats for less money.

But Les Miz is great. I saw it again a couple years ago in its newer, smaller theatre and I liked it better than the productions I've seen in the old bigger theatre there as well as the national tours in the states also in huge theatres. Surprisingly it seems more powerful in a more intimate setting. I think the same is true of Phantom in London. So much more powerful than in the huge "barns" I saw it in Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:37 PM

Patrick, agree completely about importance of the venue size. We saw Les Mis in Tampa and husband fell asleep. Our seats were okay, but the place is so darn big I just didn't care what was happening on stage and he obviously didn't either. We saw Phantom in London, too, and it was almost overwhelming--especially the black-and-white Masquerade number, with so much going on onstage.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:03 PM

I noticed that the article jody posted a link to says, “there is hope for Leigh fans who have been unable to buy a ticket — about 20 seats for each performance will be made available on the day.” I shudder to think how early you’d have to get in the queue to have a chance of being one of the lucky 20!

If I were going to London next month, the play I’d be most interested in seeing is The Philanthropist -- which starts previews at the Donmar on September 8 -- mainly because Simon Russell Beale is in it, and he’s always worth seeing. However, I took a quick look at ticket availability on Ticketmaster (which is where the Donmar’s website sends you when you click on “Book online”), and it looks like many performances are already sold out. Still, I don’t know the exact dates when Sarah will be in London, so it might be worth looking into.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:16 PM

Jules, don't worry about paying full price for Les Miz. I did the same thing for our recent trip to London, and then discovered they were half-price at Leicester Square. But, the situation was redeemed for me because it was the best production of this musical I have ever seen (out of five times). This cast is so fresh, energetic and passionate that I cried through the entire second act. I was far less enchanted with Phantom, which seemed stale to me, although I know others on this board have been very enthusiastic about it. Anybody else who is interested in seeing Les Miz, however, should feel quite confident about getting the tickets at the half-price booth--they were available every day that I looked when we were in London (late July/early August).
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 02:55 AM

I went to the sold-out 'His Dark Materials' at the NT last winter & saw people getting returns immediately before the performance. I asked the girl on the returns desk how far ahead people usually started queuing for returns & she said about 2 hours. I then told a friend about the day tickets & she successfully got those for the same production by arriving c.0745. (I think the box office opens at 10.)
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I saw Les Miz many years ago and I tried the Philanthropist, but it too is sold out! What the Butler Saw may still be a good option for me, however.

Thanks to Jody for the link to the Times -- now I don't feel alone at not having tickets to the Mike Leigh play. I do have another question, though. If I were to show up at the theater hoping for one of those 20 tickets or for returns, is it better to wait in the morning or evening? I vaguely remember from my time as a college student that extra tickets went on sale at 9 or 10 in the morning.

Thanks again for your help.

Sarah

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:02 AM

For the 20 day tickets you need to queue up in the morning at the box office - like my friend did, who got there at 0745.

For returns you need to queue for for 2+ hours before the performance at the returns desk.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Caroline. That is very helpful. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Sarah
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM

I hope the theatre gods will smile on you, Sarah. Please let us know how it turns out.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

I will, Bree. Thanks for the kind thoughts!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -