Tipping staff at hotel in Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tipped the maid who cleaned my room one Euro per day. I did not tip the front desk staff...not the person who served us in the breakfast room. Does anyone know what is expected in Germany in this regard. Before my arrival I requested extra pillows and hangers. I was also given a second duvet when I could not get warm at night--apparently the hotels reduce their heat by 50% at night according to the manager. Other than that no special favors were performed. What do you do regarding tipps for hotel staff if anything. Rick Steves says he does not tip at hotels.

What do you say?
Vilen Danke
Jennifer
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM

I don't know what is "expected" but I always tip the person in the breakfast room who brings my coffee in the morning and has to clean up after me about 50 eurocent. I tip the maid who has to clean my room and change my linens one euro per day and leave it on the day we check out. We are fairly clean and there is not a lot to do in keeping our room clean but I do arrive to fresh bathroom linens and the bed is made each day and one lousy euro seems to be fair to me. I don't generally tip the front desk staff unless they perform some special service for me over and above checking us in and out and handing us our room key. I don't know if this is "appropriate" but it is how I generally tip in Europe.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM

I don't know of any European who regularly leaves a tip for the maid or breakfast server at a European hotel, and I certainly don't. Service is included almost everywhere in the price you pay, and a tip is for a really special, out of the ordinary service rendered beyond the call of duty, but even then it isn't expected. Though it's normal to tip a euro or two in a 4 or 5-star hotel to the porter who carries your suitcases to your room, but not to the owner/manager of a pension or a B&B who does it as a favour.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM

In Germany (most of Europe actually), I never tip the breakfast room server. I do leave tips for maids in hotels, and I usually leave a euro. I'd never tip the front desk staff at any hotel, though I would tip a concierge who did something for me.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM

Like jdraper, I tip spare coins in the breakfast room, and one euro pp for the chambermaid. But I tip daily, as there's no guarantee the person who cleans your room daily is there on the day you check out. And I do it because it makes me feel good, and the staff appear to be grateful for it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:19 AM
ira

Hi EJ,

Tips are not expected, but they are appreciated.

On our last visit to Germany, I gave the bkfst room lady 50 cts the first morning.

After that, there was a table waiting for us, the rolls, pastries and milk for our coffee were warmed.

We also gave the chambermaid about 1E/day.

Small tips can make your visit much nicer.

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies...I quite agree that it made me feel good to tip the chambermaid as it were--I had the same one the entire stay as it is a small operation.

I was a bit disconcerted by the tip tray at the front desk however. Especially since I was not happy one day, Sunday, when I got to the breafast room at 10:15AM--the breakfast was not to supposed to cease service until 11AM. I was on VACATION! I slept in a bit and when I got to the breakfast room there was no rolls, croisannts or eggs and no one would prepare more! Apparently the Front desk staff decided that the breakfast would end at 10:30 AM that day as they had a low census of guests--BUT no one told me. I was not happy especially when all the room literature said breakfast would be served until 11:00AM!

I feel I did do the right thing tipping the maid. I, too, am clean and since she had it easy with me one Euro per day was sufficient.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM

personally I think Ira has the right attitude which i share completely.

If it makes you feel good to tip someone for services rendered and to show your appreciation then I think you should do so.

I have been creamed on another thread because to do so apparently doesn't adhere to someone's "local custom."

However, MY "local custom" and the "local custom' where I come from allows for tipping for services rendered and I continue to do so whether others agree or not.

When someone I tip, in Europe, makes a big effort to give the tip back then I'll reconsider my actions.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Ah "You rich Americans" say my French in-laws everytime at a restaurant or cafe when i start leaving some small change above the Serice Inclus charge of about 15%

and i demer to their customs and don't do so.