Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tipping private limo driver?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tipping-private-limo-driver-981914/)

Carley Jun 16th, 2013 10:36 AM

Tipping private limo driver??

A group of 8 have hired a limo driver to take us to our self drive boat from Toulouse, about an hour away. It is costing us 350€ total.

We will each have a piece of luggage but nothing really huge.

Wondering what we should tip him. It is his limo company.

ira Jun 16th, 2013 10:40 AM

Hi C,

For a one-hr shuttle - nothing.

For extra special service - about 10%.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

Christina Jun 16th, 2013 10:52 AM

I would tip a limo driver if he were working for someone else, under the idea that they don't get that much as a portion of the total fee. I don't tip as much in France as in the US, of course, but 5-10 pct for taxis or drivers. IN this case, since he is self-employed and that seems a very large fee for one hour's drive, I wouldn't tip. I know that must be a humongous van or bus if it holds 8 people plus luggage, and I actually think per person that seems a fair fee (about 45 euro per person for a one-hour trip). However, even though that is about a one-hour taxi fare, in this case, there is a lot of savings by only having to spend one hour of time earning that because there are 8 people together.

Of this guy sets his rates and runs his own limo, I would assume that rate gives him a decent fare already for his work.

Sarastro Jun 16th, 2013 11:08 AM

I assume you are going to Castelnaudadry. You could just as well take the train as the boat departure base is within easy walking distance from the train station.

However, it is absolutley not necessary to tip drivers in France. 3%-5% is more than sufficient and so is 350€ for a one hour trip.

Robert2533 Jun 16th, 2013 12:32 PM

"that seems a very large fee for one hour's drive" The rate is fairly normal for this type of transfer service for 8 people with luggage. It's not a taxi service, but a door to door private transfer.

Sarastro Jun 16th, 2013 12:57 PM

<i> It's not a taxi service, but a door to door private transfer.</i>

Really?

Every taxi I have ever been in has always been door to door and all of the passengers have been people with whom I was traveling - quite private actually.

To what kind of taxi service might you be refering Robert2533 that is not door to door and is not a private transfer?

Robert2533 Jun 16th, 2013 01:13 PM

When you walk to the taxi stand on the corner. Or do you always order a taxi to pick you up at the hotel?

Private transfer services are not the same as a licensed taxi service, although they do a lot of the same work.

BiarritzTaxi Jun 17th, 2013 04:23 AM

As a private transfer service provider myself I have to agree with Robert. The main difference between a taxi service and an airport transfer service is the transfer is pre-booked. This usually means that it is cheaper. Airport transfer companies, like myself, usually have larger vehicles so we can take twice as many people and luggage. The largest vehicle we can use before having to install tachographs is 9 seats (including the driver) so you will see many Renault Trafics, Ford Tourneos, VW Caravelles and Mercedes Vitos as shuttle buses.

I usually do most of the driving myself and don't expect a tip as I'm making good money. When I was an employee though a tip was very welcome as pay rates aren't very good. Between 8 people a €10 note isn't much but to a driver it is 5 coffees :)