A few times servers at restaurant came to me and said "service is not included. please don't forget..." For someone who comes from Japan where tipping does not exist, it's always quite a bit of a stress trying to figure out what is appropriate and how to proceed.
Would you live a tip and how much --
Bellboys at hotels?
Private bus charter transfers?
Private guides? I understand that for "Free Tours" it's expected and common courtesy to tip the guide. In our case, we hire the guides (and pay quite a lot to begin with) .
Restaurants? This one is always the trickiest.
Individual meal / cafe break -- what's appropriate?
Group meal with a check for the whole table. for example, our last night dinner is kind of a splurge. Will be about 100-120EUR / person with drinks. times 7 people. That's like 700-800Eur. 10% is about 80Euros. An 80euro tip sounds kind of a lot, no?
I understand that there are no clear cut rules, but just wanted to see what the general consensus would be. What you personally would do in these situations.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 2 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 3 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 4 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 5 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 6 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 7 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 8 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 9 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 10 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 11 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 12 Easter Week in Italy
- 13 Moscow Hotels
- 14 Rome Hotel
- 15 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 16 Getting around Lisbon
- 17 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 18 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 19 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 20 Trains - website?
- 21 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 22 Paris November 2017
- 23 Spain in 2018
- 24 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 25 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)