Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tipping hotel maids (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tipping-hotel-maids-312888/)

Bambi May 2nd, 2003 04:50 AM

Tipping hotel maids

Forgive a dumb question but is it customary to tip hotel maids in Europe, especially in England? Given the expensive hotel rates and high VAT taxes, I'm not sure if a gratuity is included in the room rates like they sometimes are in restaurant bills. I really don't want to insult the housekeeping by leaving a tip if it's not a custom or by not leaving a tip when it's expected.

Bootman4U May 2nd, 2003 04:57 AM

I honestly don't think anyone would be insulted by your leaving a tip for good or extra services rendered. I rather doubt that hotels include "service" as part of the bill anywhere..and despite those high rates we're paying these days you can absolutely bet that those rates do not trickle down to the housekeeping staff. The only place I know of where housekeeping/janitorial folks were making a really decent wage is in Switzerland.

I think tipping is purely personal and should be done whenever you feel it is warranted and my rule is always the same:

"If I were doing this service, and this well..would I expect a tip?"

ira May 2nd, 2003 04:59 AM

Hi Bambi,

0.75 to 1E/day for good service. You can leave an envelope at the desk or with the concierge.

francophile03 May 2nd, 2003 05:08 AM

We left the tip in the room with a note in the native language. I'm not sure if always the desk clerk or concierge will give the tip to the maid if you leave it with them.

elaine May 2nd, 2003 05:10 AM

Hi
I leave 1-2e per day in a modest hotel, more in a better one. I always leave it in the room, on a hard piece of furniture. If you are staying a few days and have seen a particular maid who perhaps has especially pleased you, you can ask her if she's on duty the day you are leaving. Otherwise you'll be leaving the tip for whomever is cleaning the room that day. I'm sure it all evens out in the long run.

Yes, hotel and restaurant bills are supposed to include "service" but nine times out of ten that's an add-on that goes to management. People have different opinions about whether tips are insulting or unnecessary. I can't imagine that a person who has to work very hard for a living would be offended by a small offering. Even concierges wearing suits and ties in fancy hotels gladly accept tips.

The choice is personal however--you'll never see them again.

Bootman4U May 2nd, 2003 05:28 AM

I agree with Elaine wholeheartedly except that for a few of us we actually do see them again. The ones I have in mind at the moment have already learned we tip well when well-served and it has always made repeat stays that much more enjoyable for all concerned.

As to concierges...now those folks I think expect a tip much more so than the housekeeping folks.

Bambi May 2nd, 2003 10:04 AM

Thanks to all for your thoughts, they are much appreciated.