Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tipping an airline wheelchair attendant???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:04 PM
Jon

I found it necessary to get a wheelchair for my traveling companion on a recent trip to Europe. We had someone from TWA meet us in St. Louis and she was not very pleasant (just matter of fact) and almost annoyed as she handed me the controls. I'm thinking maybe it's because I didn't have the "green" showing in my hand. When we arrived in Paris the gentleman was very kind, professional and moved mountains to get us through customs and to luggage pick-up. He quickly gave us a wave and a smile and was off. Needless to say, I didn't tip him but certainly tried to express overwhelming gratitude. Should I have attempted to tip? It weighs heavily on my mind.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:08 PM
StCirq

Don't worry about it. That was his job. He would probably have rejected the tip at any rate.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:33 PM
aaa

Jon-The same thing happens in the Atlanta airport-these people are NOT employed by airlines and I always tip,but not until after I've been helped to my gate. In Atlanta,where they can change gates as you arrive to your 2nd check in gate,I actually had a wheelcair helper say"I'm not taking you to the next gate unless you tip me". I was appalled and said "you are going to get a tip,so please take me to the changes gate".At that next gate,I did tip,but it wasn't near the amount I normally give-due to the nastiness of the helper. However ,in England,when someone helped me-it wasn't expected but I gladly gave it. My opinion-the people in Atlanta need a major attitude adjustment when helping the handicapped.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:01 PM
Sue

This is all very interesting to me. It never occurred to me that you would have to tip the wheelchair person, and I will be traveling with my handicapped brother in June. I felt, like St. Cirq, that it was their job (I don't tip the person who checks me in). And I have used those jitneys in airports that take you from one gate to another without tipping (gross faux pas?). Yikes--there are so many potential tipping pitfalls out there. Hope more people weigh in on this.

Old May 4th, 2001, 03:21 AM
Nancy

I have found that MANY people who are employed in the customer service industry in Atlanta need an attitude adjustment!!

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:42 AM
s.fowler

I'm going to take a *stab* here. My experience is at O'Hare. From what I can see -- the wheelchair attendants look to be in the same category [I'm not claiming the same union] as the skycaps/porters. I haven't looked carefully, but the "tram" drivers look more like airline employees. Anyone know better than that?

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:43 AM
s.fowler

The distinction being that you DO tip skycaps and DON'T tip airline employees.

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Joe

Last summer in Atlanta a wheelchair attendant wheeled my wife from our gate about three gates to an elevator and told her us that was as far as he could take her although we were headed to the international terminal. Result: no tip. On the return trip, on baggage was delayed in Atlanta. However, we had an absolutely fabulous attendant who got us from the baggage carousal through customs, rechecking of bags, onto the "train" shuttle, and to our gate in less than 25 minutes. She was great. Result: big tip. Sure, it was her job, but she did everything she could to make sure that we got on our next flight.!!!

Old May 4th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Brian in Atlanta

aaa, that's obscene. Next time that happens in Atlanta, get their name and send a note to: <BR> <BR>Ben DeCosta <BR>General Manager <BR>Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport <BR>P.O. Box 20509 <BR>Atlanta, GA 30320 <BR> <BR>Mr. DeCosta strikes me as someone who would take the incident seriously and see that corrective action was taken. <BR> <BR>We're all going to have to put up with this kind of crap until we're willing to do something about it. <BR> <BR>By the way, last time I was at JFK, the folks buzzing around in those little carts were actively soliciting for tips. Most of their *customers* didn't need assistance. They'd even go as far as to tell people they were walking the wrong way (when they weren't) or that it was too far to walk (when it was just around the corner) to get customers. Meanwhile, they're honking and yelling at pedestrians to get out of their way. Well run place.

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:15 AM
stacey

I flew from Frankfurt to Boston a couple of weeks ago. Lufthansa provided a 'cart' for me (I broke my ankle the day before in a car accident). The driver took my passport and boarding pass and took care of everthing for me as he took me to the gate. He even got me two chairs (one for the foot) right at the door while I waited to board. He would not accept a tip. When I got to Boston, my husband was waiting at the door of the plan with a customs guy and a wheel chair guy. They took care of everything as well, and the chair guy 'waited' for his tip (which I was more than happy to give him, just for being at the door of the plane!) Tipped him the same as I would a skycap.

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:35 AM
elvira

Sweet mother of all that's holy, what kind of cretin leaves a wheelchair bound person to fend for her/himself???? Brian is absolutely correct in this; complaining to friends and on the Forum is a good way to vent and warn others, but it doesn't stop the activity. Complaining to the proper authorities (supervisors, head guys, etc.) starts the ball rolling. Oooh I'm seething just reading about those incidents. <BR> <BR>My mother needed a wheelchair on a trip to visit me; the woman was wonderful, and I thanked and tipped her. She looked a little embarrassed, but took the tip with a thank-you. I, like s.fowler, view those folks like the skycaps and porters, whom I also tip.

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Linda

I traveled with my husband, who, though ambulatory, really needed a wheelchair for long distances. Between one gate and another he had to "use the facilities". The surly attendant finally agreed to stop. Unfortunately, when my husband came out, the attendant was nowhere to be found and my husband had to walk to the next gate, in another concourse. He made it, just before they called our row, but he was a physical wreck for the rest of the trip. (Thankfully, we were going home so he was able to rest when we got there.)

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:38 PM
Melissa

We always tip when the wheelchair attendants take care of my mom. I think our basic tip is a few dollars. If they are better at customer service, they get a bigger tip; if they are incredible people who move mountains etc etc they get a bigger tip plus maybe lunch (that was only once, though).

Old May 5th, 2001, 03:12 AM
annie

What is an appropraite tip for either wheelchair help or one of those vehicles to take one from gate to gate? Thank you.

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Jon

Thanks for the input. Hopefully, I'll not have to deal with a wheelchair in the future but will probably offer a tip next time. Please keep the comments coming.

Old May 9th, 2001, 01:14 AM
idontemploythem

The tipping in the U.S. is out of control, see the rant thread about it!

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:07 AM
james

I think this post hits the spot - I've recently been in a wheelchair with a broken leg. Travelled London through Miami to Key West for some R&R. Wheelchair helpers, I think deserve a tip, amount depending on the amount of work/time spent with you etc. However, I had one guy who was just awful, grumpy, unhelpful, prossible drunk - so no tip. The great thing about America is that it's service orientated. Would you give a lousy, rude waiter a tip?

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:46 AM
kam

A couple months ago I watched with my mouth open in O'Hare airport while a "cart driver" held her empty hand out, palm up right in their faces, to an elderly couple for her tip before she offered to help them off the cart. I don't know if she was an employee of airport or UAL, but obviously she thought the tip was her due. I do know that the curbside check in personnel depend on their tips just as waiters do and they provide a convenience for those of us who don't want to stand in a check in line inside the terminal, but it seems to me that helping the handicapped is not a convenience but a necessity for which those employees should receive an adequate salary, but no tips.

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Audrey

Dealt with several wheelchair attendants while on vacation with Grandma last spring. The rundown: <BR>London Gatwick: Wonderful, kind older gentleman RAN us to our gate, stayed with us when we learned our flight was delayed, talked to Gram the entire time about the "old days", offered to get us coffee. I tipped him about ten bucks. <BR>Paris - CDG - absolutely beautiful young man, very polite to Grandma - she tipped him herself and wouldn't say how much . <BR>Phoenix: Waited endlessly for someone to show up, we ended up grabbing an abandoned wheelchair and I pushed her myself (no tip for me) <BR> <BR>If the US is service oriented - I must be patronizing the WRONG places! <BR>Audrey