Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   tipping (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tipping-1103774/)

dsevig May 4th, 2016 10:26 AM

tipping

for 15 trips to France , Italy, GY, etc, I always thought the server's tip was included in the food bill somewhere so no need to add a tip. now I have been told wait staff is well paid and do not depend on tips like US wait staff does but if you think you had great service add to the bill or leave some cash, 5e seemed to go over well.

have I been a cheap Charlie all these years???

sparkchaser May 4th, 2016 10:38 AM

No. Possibly yes. But probably not. Unless you are.

PalenQ May 4th, 2016 10:46 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-how-much.cfm

kerouac May 4th, 2016 10:47 AM

Do not tip.

PalenQ May 4th, 2016 10:59 AM

Tipping several bucks gives Americans a bad name - oh those rich Americans throwing their money around again (my French in-laws are fond of saying).

Sarastro May 4th, 2016 12:22 PM

If you want to tip someone, tip the chef.

PalenQ May 4th, 2016 01:00 PM

tip everyone- from the clerks in stores who wait on you to the ticket takers at museums - they probably make less than many waiters and cab drivers. Throw your money around and yes make the French tear their hair out.

StCirq May 4th, 2016 01:06 PM

Tips never necessary unless you are NewBe or CafeeGoddess and want to throw your prowess around and denigrate others.

Cathinjoetown May 4th, 2016 02:56 PM

Generally I agree with the no tipping in France comments. From observation, however, many French people leave small tips in restaurants, in hair salons and to taxis drivers.

Our favorite casual place in St. Gaudens had a box by the cash register to drop tips. We didn't, preferring to give the waitress and grill chef a cash gift at Christmas because we were there at least 3-4 times a month.

I don't follow any hard or fast rules, if I feel like leaving a tip for outstanding service, I will.

cafegoddess May 4th, 2016 02:59 PM

I Am sorry StCirq that your .10€ tip was rejected by your G7 driver.

jkbritt May 4th, 2016 03:18 PM

I normally do not tip in Europe unless it is just loose change. However, when I was in Vienna, I was informed by an irate server that tips were expected!! So, I gave him 10% of a 12Euro bill. 1.20Euro. He actually chased us down the street in ask what he had not done to deserve a tip. So, in Vienna, tip your waiter.

StCirq May 4th, 2016 07:59 PM

jkbritt, your Viennese server was playing with you. You fell for it, apparently. He did not need or warrant the tip. You needn't feel bad. I think waiters in Vienna, especially in the tourist quarters, are more in-your-face about demanding recompense from tourists. It can be off-putting, but it doesn't mean you have to tip them, though most people when confronted with such behavior do.

Cafegoddess, you have zero comprehension about the tipping culture in Europe but a more than healthy dose of disdain, or maybe jealousy, about those of us who deal with it on a daily basis. Please make up for my perceived transgressions by throwing a load of US dollars at the next French taxi driver you encounter. He'll laugh all the way to the bank at your expense.

marvelousmouse May 4th, 2016 08:24 PM

I've been following the various threads about this. Are there any countries tips ARE expected? (Jkbritt, I have been chased once in the US by a truly horrible server, so I feel your pain).

I mean, I'm ok tipping expected amounts (better for good service) but I don't want to unknowingly short someone. Tipping is such a nasty topic in the states and frankly I wish all places would charge service charges and just pay their servers a normal wage.

Pvoyageuse May 4th, 2016 08:32 PM

" From observation, however, many French people leave small tips in restaurants, in hair salons and to taxis drivers."
Exactly. I am French and I do leave small tips. It makes me laugh when I read that "tippping is not in our culture". I have yet to meet the person who will refuse a tip.

marvelousmouse May 4th, 2016 08:34 PM

Refusing a tip is a whole different thing lol. When you say small- 10%? 15%?

Pvoyageuse May 4th, 2016 08:47 PM

Small is less than 10/15%. 10 or 20 cents at a café, €1 at restaurants (or I round up to the next €)

kerouac May 4th, 2016 08:59 PM

People from the "regions" (formerly called the "provinces") are known to tip more than urbanites in France because they are more likely to know the serving staff.

marvelousmouse May 4th, 2016 09:06 PM

So it is not based on the total bill? Yes, I can understand tipping more to folks you know- I think that's human nature:)

Pvoyageuse May 4th, 2016 09:16 PM

"People from the "regions" (formerly called the "provinces") are known to tip more than urbanites in France because they are more likely to know the serving staff."
People from the "regions" are more likely than Parisians to drive a few kms to change from their usual manger and try new places (with new staff). I'd be curious to know how the above statement is substantiated.

Pvoyageuse May 4th, 2016 09:19 PM

Marvel : no, it is not on the total bill. It is not expected either but it is appreciated.