Reload this Page >

Tip Concierge Per Request Or at End of Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 06:23 AM
Roger

I will be staying at a very small, boutique hotel in London for one week and wonder whether the Concierge will expect a gratuity immediately each day when theater tickets or restaurant reservations are obtained. I would prefer to leave a gratuity envelope at the conclusion of my stay, rather than tip at the time of each request. What is the proper protocol?

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 06:31 AM
guy

the "protocol" of tipping has always been somewhat of a mystery to me. first of all, when you are staying at a hotel and asking the concierge to do these things for you for several days why does it make sense to wait until the end to give him a tip. shouldn't you tip at the beginning (at least some) in order to be assured of getting the best service. on the other hand you might say, they should earn their tips. i also believe this. but wouldn't they be more willing to earn more tip if they knew you would tip. when you check out of the hotel there is probably a pretty good chance that you will never see them again. if it's a case where you continually return to a particular hotel, that's different. i think my approach would be to find some reason to tip at the beginning. and maybe even a little all along. just my opinion.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 06:51 AM
elaine

Roger, there is no one right answer. <BR>I'm sure an envelope at the end of your stay would be very much appreciated if you feel that the concierge has given you noteworthy service during your week. I have seen this often done, and have done it myself. <BR>Note however, that there is sometimes more than one person on the concierge "staff" (perhaps not in your small hotel, but elsewhere) and you have to decide "who" you are going to reward. If there's any chance your particular person won't be there when you check out, perhaps find that out in advance, <BR>or label the envelope for that person.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 07:29 AM
Bill Irving

Beleive it or not, there are some hotels in various cities where the Concierge is not expected to be tipped, especially if it is a manager or owner filling that role, could even offend if you offered them money(but then again maybe not). But if it is a Bell Captain filling that role, it could be a different story. What I usually do, especially in a city like Paris or London, & if the concierge has helped me, I will buy extra Tube, Metro,Subway tickets, & on the way out of the hotel for the last time, I will give them to the Concierge, saying that we will not need the extra tickets, & they have no problem accepting them.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 03:46 AM
topper