Timing in France

Search

Timing in France

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing in France

So... I'm planning a trip to France in late summer... mainly Provence, but perhaps Paris and the beaches of Normandy if we can fit it in. I would like to go the last week of August and the first week of September, but my boss would prefer that I go the last two weeks of August.

The last time I was in Provence at this time of year it was HOT. Does anyone think, though, that the one week shift would make any difference?

Is it worth finding a place with AC? I didn't have it last time, and although it was often uncomfortable, I could live with it... but now I'll be going with my Mom and aunt. Any thoughts?

Also, going from mid-to-late August, what will it be like with everyone in France on their own vacations during this time. Again, will a one-week-earlier-shift make that much difference. In Paris? Provence? Normandy?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Well, statistically, things will be cooler in early September than mid-August, but you can never know for sure. Traditionally, we say the thudershowers start August 15th, so things cool down thereafter. If you are staying in a old place with thick stone walls, you shouldn't ned A/C.

Now one thing is sure, the French vacationers (and many other Europeans) all go back to work September 1st. This makes the first week in September a much better time to come in terms of crowd avoidance.

-Kevin
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:38 AM

You will need A/C in both Paris and Provence in August. The entire country has been heating up for a decade or so and the old days when A/C was a luxury rather than a necessity are gone.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Last summer was cold in Paris and hotter than normal in the south. This winter was the coldest in 15 years in Paris. There are no guarantees.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:41 AM

I wouldn't call last summer cold; it was closer to the norms than preceding years, although I suppose that now seems cold.

In any case, if it doesn't get hot, you just leave the A/C turned off. But if it gets hot (as it probably will), and you don't have A/C …