Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Timetable for RER C5 to Versailles? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/timetable-for-rer-c5-to-versailles-724843/)

TXArtemis Jul 29th, 2007 08:17 PM

Timetable for RER C5 to Versailles?

Hi, Paris Experts,

I'm frustrated! I'm sure I have made a stupid error, but I'm tired to trying to figure out what I did wrong. I'd be so grateful is someone could help.

We are arriving at CDG Terminal 2 on an August Friday night at 21:30. Our hotel is the Ibis in Versailles (so we can do the chateau and grounds on Sat., incl. the musical fountains and fireworks, then head back into the city on Sun. for the week).

On paper, our journey appears straightforward: At the RER/TGV station in Terminal 2, we board any RER B line train ("Paris direct" is express) into the city (direction: Robinson); we get off at the St-Michel Notre Dame station and transfer to the RER C5 line (nickname: "Vick") to Versailles (making sure the end point is the gare at Versailles Rive Gauche). I understand to beware of and can see on the map the C line branches.

My frustration is simply being unable to confirm we can do this--because we are arriving so late, I don't want any unhappy surprises. Every time I input my journey into any of the interactive planners, they show me making all sorts of bus, Metro and walking connections to crazy places! **I found a similar complaint in the archives here, and some of you experts said, don't worry about the goofy interactive journey planners, you will be fine.** But call me crazy, I'd feel better about dragging a family of 4 + luggage across Paris via public transport at that time of night if I had something in writing to show I was on the right track...literally.

I have in hand a downloaded timetable for the RER B line. It's great. I know we can get into the city, no problem. It's getting out to Versailles that's the trick. For the life of me, I can't find a RER C line timetable. RATP sends me to SNCF, which is Transilien for that region, and I can't seem to manipulate either to produce a timetable. I Googled to no avail, as well....

Merci beaucoup!

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

kerouac Jul 30th, 2007 12:37 AM

You can't take the RER C to Saint Michel before August 26th. There is a replacement starting from Invalides.

<<Du lundi 16 juillet au samedi 25 août 2007, la circulation des trains du RER C est interrompue entre Austerlitz et Invalides. Transilien met à votre disposition un service de bus de remplacement entre ces deux gares et vous suggérons d'emprunter les lignes de métro en correspondance.>>

kerouac Jul 30th, 2007 12:38 AM

That's probably why you can't get transilien.com to produce a timetable.

TXArtemis Jul 30th, 2007 05:43 AM

Kerouac, many thanks for the information. Now I understand some of the alternate itineraries the system spit out, all in avoidance of that stretch of RER C along the Seine. I am going to have to re-think our late night transfer.

Travelnut Jul 30th, 2007 02:19 PM

Is it possible to rethink your hotel choice instead? It isn't difficult to get to Chateau Versailles from Paris, takes about 30 min. from RER-Invalides, for instance.

Will any of the shuttle companies deliver you to Versailles?
ex. www.beeshuttle.com or www.parishuttle.com