Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Timeshare in Germany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/timeshare-in-germany-266239/)

Henda Oct 16th, 2002 04:13 AM

Timeshare in Germany

I am interested in buying timeshare in Germany. Does someone know who I can contact?

pat Oct 16th, 2002 05:01 AM

Hapimag has time shares in Germany. Do a Google search of Hapimag. You'll get many links.

Gar Oct 17th, 2002 11:16 PM

hi there,<BR>I know there are a lot of postings about buying a timeshare or not. I never understood why so many guys from US like those kind of holidays, perhaps it is done in a better way then in Germany or Europe. I knew about ten people (from Germany) that buyed one. All have lost a lot of money, a few are still paying and cant get out of the contract. Even Happimag seems to be one of the serious companys, but anyway it is much to expensive. The additionel annual costs are that high so mostly You can rent an appartment just from this. And You have to pay extra for high seasons (it allways seems to be high season). <BR><BR>anyway, have fun in Germany<BR>Gar<BR><BR>Btw. Have got a Hapimag for five years and havent done one vacation for it was never a free palce when I wanted to go.

x Oct 18th, 2002 01:41 AM

Skip the timeshare seriously. In the US they are a ripoff. Hendra seriously I would think very carefully about this. I do not know the laws in Germany but in the US people have lost $$$ on them. Sorry I do not mean to be so negative but I just feel that I should warn you.

ttt Oct 21st, 2002 11:12 PM

ttt

Karen Oct 31st, 2002 04:38 PM

I DO own a lot of timeshares, including one in southern Germany. Look up Mondi Ferienclub in a search engine. I own in Oberstaufen, but the club has other resorts in Germany, Austria and Italy.

gar Nov 3rd, 2002 11:22 PM

ok, You DO own. And what is the point? You dont say it is a good thing. You cant tell us it is worth. You cant make clear You safe money. So what?

d.r. Nov 4th, 2002 07:16 AM

We almost bought a time-share in the US. We were given 5 days to get out of the lease agreement. I hand delivered the letter stating we wanted out within that time period. It took over a month for them to credit our credit card. Many phone calls, many excuses, much frustration on our part. Don't do it. I called the travel agent and randomly picked locations all over the world and they were always booked. Plus watch out for maintance fees. We decided to get out and we're very happy we did.

Henda Nov 7th, 2002 02:01 AM

I first considered not replying but thanks to Karen decided against it.<BR><BR>I am also a timeshare owner in South Africa and used my units solely for exchanging to Europe. I have managed exchanges to England, Scotland, Italy, France, Spain &amp; Hungary but could never exchange to Germany. (I have been to Germany but stayed at hotels). Thus my willingness to buy timeshare in Germany.<BR><BR>I have obtained prices for units but due to our weak currency am not able to afford to buy any. Likesome of you suggested, the management fees are extremely high.<BR><BR>Thanks to everybody for their input and advice. I guess I will have to try earlier for an exchange to Germany.

trubrit Nov 9th, 2002 08:56 PM

Henda, you could try to see if the German timeshares rent, many times there are weeks unused by owners that can be rented. It would give you an opportunity to check things out. We own multiple weeks and use them on a regular basis for exchange, or close to home getaways. Good luck