Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Timeshare freebies (free accomodation but you have to "partcipate" in their presentation)

Timeshare freebies (free accomodation but you have to "partcipate" in their presentation)

Feb 1st, 2000, 04:46 AM
Nero

I have just been told I have WON (wow!!) a free week's accomodation at a mediterranean resort. Of course its conditional that I attend their "presentation". Should I go? I have in the past been able to fight off double glazing salesmen, life assurance salesmen etc etc, or will the pressure to succomb be just tooooooo much?

Feb 1st, 2000, 05:29 AM
Sheila

welll
I've done it ( resisted, that is) and I have a friend who has. Go for it, I say!

Feb 1st, 2000, 06:10 AM
noname

Be careful, it's a racket! Forewarned in forearmed!

Feb 1st, 2000, 07:17 AM
Justwanna

We went to Hilton Head on a time share promotion with no intention of buying one. We told the presenter that we were just taking advantage of them and were independent travelers. We told him about the accommodations we had in Spain and he was so interested he gave us his e-mail address and asked us to forward the information to him! Forget about the pressure; just talk faster than the presenter and remember to smile your way through it!

Feb 2nd, 2000, 06:00 AM
Nero

just to clarify. The presentation will be whilst I'm staying at the resort. Should i make up a story e.g. "I run my own holiday company etc..."

Feb 2nd, 2000, 06:36 AM
joelle

Friends of mine accepted that kind of "present" and were subject to intense sales pressure during the whole week (not only one presentation). This ended up in a nightmare holiday...
On top of that, they were allocated a very small room located at the back of the buiding (no sea view, but direct view on the rubbish bin!).
All of this is an usual marketing trick that they use to try and sell appartments in "concrete" seaside resorts...

Feb 2nd, 2000, 06:59 AM
Nero

Joelle,
Could you tell me which company it was with and which resort? (e-mail me if you prefer)
My offer is for General Vacation Club at Mougins (Nr. Cannes) France.

Feb 2nd, 2000, 07:12 AM
jo ann

Nero: I would also be in the "if it sounds too good to be true..."
My husband and I own an RCI week which we have used only once in Europe (southern Spain, and it was a truly delightful experience -- nothing "concrete" about the place, and gave us free rein to wander the area.) #3 this is predicated on assuming that you live in the U.S., where offers like this would be rare. I just noticed that you referred to life "assurance" salesmen; in the states we'd call it insurance. So, if you're continental or close to it, maybe this type of thing does occur. But, again, have a back-up spot to stay in mind, and weigh how much the incidentals (plane etc) would cost in case they really set out to give you a bad week.
Also, I wonder what system they're in -- I'll look in the RCI guide tonight and if I find them I'll send you any info they have.
As I recall, the place was fully sold, so there was absolutely no pressure to attend a sales presentation; on the other hand, we stayed at an RCI spot on the big island, Hawaii, 3 summers ago. It was new, lovely, and aggressively selling. The only thing that we got in return for attending the sales spiel was a dinner gift certificate. We came very close to buying (more for trading than using since we live east coast)but when we decided not to do so, they were just fine and backed off easily.
So: #1 an entire week free sounds too good to be true: I bet they really could ruin your week. #2 the place could be really crummy and/or could play games when you got there, then where would you stay? maybe a back-up plan is a necessary precaution.

Feb 2nd, 2000, 07:14 AM
noname

You guys are something! It's a racket! If you think you can one-up them forget it--they're pros! Remember the old line: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Feb 2nd, 2000, 07:57 AM
Nero

Yes I have a back-up plan of sorts.I will be going by car and if it gets too much i'll drive off.
Its a wierd system - different from the normal timeshare: they sell points and depending on the time of season and accomodation you want, the more/less points you will need (a bit like air miles for flights - the greater the distance the more miles you need). Hence you do not buy a specific timeshare at all. Every time you want to book you use some of these points.
Would welcome any more infor you could shed!. Thanks!

Feb 2nd, 2000, 08:03 AM
rsd

be careful, be real careful.....I have experienced it myself, a week stay in Malaga, Spain.....The salesman even picked us up from the airport.....but then, he kept bombarding us with all the advantages about buying a time share----and it is not cheap! I rejected him for the first two days---and we did nothing for these two days but were confined to the hotel and faced this not so handsome salesman for seven hours a day. on the third day, we woke up very early, quickly hired a taxi, rushed to the train station and head to Madrid.

Feb 2nd, 2000, 08:37 AM
noname

Okay, Nero, I give up. You've been suckered in! I leave you with this quote from PT Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute..." etc., etc., etc.

Feb 2nd, 2000, 09:07 AM
Sheila

The points system is now the most commonly used in Europe and should not necessarily concern you. I do quite a lot of lega work on time shre in Scotland. If you tell me the name of the exchange organisation these folk are with I can let know ifthey are reputable.

Feb 2nd, 2000, 09:45 AM
jo ann

One of my co-workers recently bought into the Disney Co system, which is also point based: Disneyworld, the cruise boats, Hilton Head and other areas are owned by Disney, and use the same "more points for nicer".
Overall, I still stick with the idea that getting a full week of accomodations at a Med resort sounds too good to be true: the sell job will probably be not just the typical "one hour out of your day" but more like "try to get away - I dare you!"

Feb 2nd, 2000, 10:45 AM
michele

Nero,

I would really think about it. If you go, have a back-up plan. My experiences with these things are limited; one session in Cancun and one in Palm Springs. The Cancun people were obnoxious and hard to escape. The Mariott in Palm Springs was very professional and low pressure, but it eats into your vacation time. I just find the whole racket distasteful and would proceed, if at all, with caution.

Mar 21st, 2011, 09:45 AM

My husband and I attend them frequently, and no, we've never bought in, but we do our research first and check the resale market. Last time we did so, we found that identical timeshares were going for $800 - $1,000 on the resale market, that they were selling for $20,000+ at the presentation.

We don't consider it a waste of time, because we enjoy touring the properties and "doing the math," and I've never found a single one yet that I considered any kind of "bargain."

We don't own a timeshare, and yet we vacation at them often, usually by either renting from owners--for far LESS than their annual maintenance fees and taxes, or by finding "excess inventory" weeks offered by RCI, through sites such as "skyauction." The most we've ever paid through skyauction was approx. $400, and that was for a full week's stay at a luxury 2 bedroom, 2 bath, oceanfront condo in Key West.

We would never make such a major purchase "on the spot" anyway, under any circumstances, no matter what. And we would never trust anyone who tells us their "deal" is "good for today only!"

We're really good though at saying "no." If you're not, then be very cautious about attending.
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM

There are two horrible ways to spend one's leisure time:
1. Having root canals
2. Attending time share presentations

Run
Don't look back.
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM

Especially on an 11 year old thread!