times recommends cheap sleeps in Paris

Mar 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

times recommends cheap sleeps in Paris

Sunday times carried a feature on budget hotels in Paris (29.3.09). Has anyone stayed in one:
1 Grande Hotel Leveque in Rue Cler
2 Hotel du Champs de Mars also in Rue Cler
3 Hotel Eldorado - Place de Clichy
4 Mama Shelter (not sure district)
5 Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in Marais
6 Hotel du Nord et de L'Est.
Mar 31st, 2009, 12:48 PM

Mama Shelter is some new hipster place designed by Starck way out near Pere Lachaise cemetery in the 20th. The location is the only thing that keeps the rates down, no doubt. Haven't stayed in any but have heard of them all, most are well-known budget hotels, espec 1,2, and 5 (which have been listed in about every guidebook for decades as good cheap hotels).
Mar 31st, 2009, 12:54 PM

I went to the Mama Shelter website and the room rate was advertised at 199 euros. I don't think that is a budget-hotel rate. I also would not stay all the way out by Pere Lachaise.

I stayed at the Hotel de College on Rue Thenard near the Sorbonne and I paid 89 euros for a single in November. I thought the hotel was very nice and the staff was wonderul.

Thin
Mar 31st, 2009, 12:55 PM

Sorry, Hotel College de France.

Thin
Mar 31st, 2009, 01:31 PM

I have stayed at the Leveque and the Champ du Mars.

It's been a while since the Leveque and I hear it's been upgraded, it was basic and clean when I was there.

Champ du Mars is much cuter, but the management team includes a man who should NOT be in the hotel business so I probably won't bother to go back. I don't need to pay to be treated rudely LOL! (And it was not just Americans he was an equal opportunity rude. Lots of moaning every time he had to give a guest a key for example!)
Mar 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM

Stayed at the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in Marais in 2001 and would stay again. It is in a great location (my favorite in Paris) and they have remodeled since then. it was fine then and should be even nicer inside now.
Mar 31st, 2009, 02:40 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Leveque back in 2002. A basic, tourist class hotel with the advantage of being on Rue Cler. If you need a bed to sleep in, it will do, but not much beyond that..

Rue Cler is a pedestrian only street with a post office at the corner of La Motte-Piquet..

If you stay there, have a meal at Cafe Roussillon at the corner of Rue Cler/Rue de Grenelles. Very good menu and good wines by the glass/carafe.
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

With reluctance, I had my own recommendation. It is picture perfect but eccentric, all rooms are £70 (68 euro), doubles en suite. Smack in the middle of Paris.

But its got its drawbacks!

Its cheap because they neither employ waiters or maids. Which is not as bad as it seems. Most of the big breakfast is set out beforehand and you merely help yourself. Anything cooked is done by yourself ie boiling/poaching/frying eggs and grilling toast. There is a big pan of porridge available to help yourself. You must, they insist, clear your cutlery and tray away.

The helpful receptionist issues you with clean linen but you have to make your own bed and bring dirty linen back to reception on departure.

I think this situation has been arrived at by the eccentric British manager who can not keep his staff. He insists on commanding guests attention on arrival with tales of how the British single handedly won the war especially in France. All the rooms have potraits of the Royal Family and the bar closes at 12 on the dot, with the British National Anthem.

Anyone else stayed here?
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:37 PM

Stevelyon, are you willing to divulge this hotel? Sounds just a bit like Fawlty Towers!

I'd definitely be willing to save money by making my own beds.
Apr 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes - what a fool - I didnt put the name.
Hotel Fou Avril.
Will do a search for the address unless you beat me to it.
Apr 1st, 2009, 01:09 AM

Hotel Fou Avril?

Doubtless managed by the people who run the Poisson d'Avril fish shop next door.

And conceived by the people who devised the Moon Under Water boozer. An offshore business, based in San Seriffe to avoid tax.
Apr 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM
ira

Hi SL,

Yes, we stayed there one year.

We were particularly fond of the Full English Breakfast - cold oatmeal, cold eggs, cold beans, cold tomatoes, cold bacon, cold toast, cold coffee, warm orange juice - served on alternate Sundays (but only if they fell on an odd-numbered say).

Apr 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

I feel real cheated now - I only got what the Manager called the Britnental which was a fusion of Scottish and French - porridge served with croissants.