Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Time needed for these Rome Metro journeys? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/time-needed-for-these-rome-metro-journeys-906318/)

Pammca Sep 16th, 2011 01:01 PM

Time needed for these Rome Metro journeys?

I am planning a trip to Rome next Easter and have created ATAC maps for Metro Circo Massimo to (1) Metro Spagna and (2) Metro Ottaviano San Pietro, but don't how to work out how long each of these journeys will take.

Can anyone tell me approximately how long each journey is? Both journeys will be made first thing in the morning, leaving Circo Massimo at around 7.00am.

Thank you!

BigRuss Sep 16th, 2011 01:49 PM

Rule of thumb is about 1.5 to 2 minutes per stop.

kybourbon Sep 16th, 2011 06:01 PM

It depends on several things. At certain times of day the metro runs more often. Sometimes as often as mentioned above, but at other times 4 minutes or longer.

Traveling from Circo Massimo requires a change at Termini. The underground switching trains at Termini is a mess and has been for a couple of years. When you change lines there you will have to go up a flight or two of stairs (or escalators if they are working)and there might be detours as it seems there is always some construction. It may be so crowded that you can't get on the first train at Termini on line A and have to wait for the next. The metro seemed much more crowded last week than it was last year. I'm not sure if it has to do with some transport problems due to the fire at Rome Tiburtina station a week or so ago.

Rush hour in Rome is typically later than in the states so I don't think you will have as much crowds at 7am.

From Circo Massimo to Termini won't take longer than 10-15 minutes. Transfer time should be less than 10 minutes unless you get confused about direction. Termini to Spagna about 10 minutes. Spagna to Ottaviano about the same.

Line A has been on shortened hours, but is supposed to be back to normal April 2012. It's been my experience with time estimates for completion of projects in Italy that you need to add several months to their estimated time.

fmpden Sep 16th, 2011 06:20 PM

We have found that the buses and trams work much better than the very limited metro.

Pammca Sep 17th, 2011 09:25 AM

Thank you for your replies.

I will be meeting friends in the Musei Vaticani entrance area at 8.00am on a Monday morning and thought the most reliable way of getting there on time would be via the Metro from Circo Massimo to Termini/Termini to Ottaviano San Pietro; however, maybe at that time of the morning (leaving Circo Massimo at 6.45/7.00am), the rush-hour traffic would not yet have reached its peak and travelling by bus would be an option?

I would prefer to make the journey above ground, but I don't want to be late!

Any advice would be appreciated - especially the best bus/tram routes from Circo Massimo to the Musei Vaticani.

Thank you!

kybourbon Sep 17th, 2011 02:49 PM

For your route I would Metro. You would likely have to make bus changes from your location and the buses will make a lot of stops. Buses certainly don't run every few minutes unless you are taking the #64 which runs from Termini past the touristy areas(this would not be the bus you would need).

I would think you could be there in about 30 minutes by metro and then you have a couple of blocks to walk. I prefer the Cipro stop (one stop past Ottaviano) for the museum, but am familiar with the area and metro stop. If you do get off at Ottaviano, don't follow the crowd down via Ottaviano as they are headed to St. Peter's which will make you back track to the museum uphill. You can take via Ottaviano one block and turn right onto via Degli Scipioni. Take that a couple of blocks until via Leone VI and turn left (look at the area on Google maps).

Is there a reason you need to be there at 8? It opens at 9.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...nfo_Orari.html

Pammca Sep 18th, 2011 04:04 AM

Hello kybourbon

Thank you for your very helpful posts - I am aiming for an 8.00am arrival time as I have booked a place on the Rome Museum group entry at 8.30am and I want to leave myself plenty of time for finding the meeting place, and for taking lots of deep breaths before a long day exploring the museums!

My other original query was for Circo Massimo to Spagna - again early in the morning, as I plan to prebook an 8.30am reservation for the Borghese Gallery. Do you also recommend the Metro for this journey? (I'm happy to walk through the park from Spagna to the museum.)

First solo trip to Rome and knee-deep in planning - all part of the wonderful experience of visiting Italy!

With thanks
Pam

kybourbon Sep 18th, 2011 04:17 AM

Never heard of Rome Museum group. Do you have a link? Are you sure you are allowed entry at 8:30? The museum opens at 9.

Spagna is not really close to the Borghese. Where are you staying near Circo Massimo? Will you have the Roma Pass?

Pammca Sep 18th, 2011 08:14 AM

I found information and the link in a post by ParadiseLost
www.rome-museum.com
You go in as a group but then disband and tour the museums at your own inclination and pace.

Google Maps reckon it's a 20 minute walk from Spagna to the Borghese - I'm more than happy to do that rather than get stuck in a traffic jam!

I will be getting a Roma Pass and will mention it when I ring to make the reservation.

annhig Sep 18th, 2011 08:19 AM

how about a cab? they are pretty cheap in Rome and a lot less hassle.

or try roninrome.com for bus info.

kybourbon Sep 18th, 2011 08:59 AM

It's all uphill and I'm not sure Google takes that into consideration.

Paradise Lost post is a bit old and no longer accurate. It used to be the museums allowed only groups in at 8 and individuals later at 9. They no longer do that so there is no need to book with a group. In fact, neither the Vatican Museum or the Borghese book any kind of reservation more than two months in advance. If you can cancel your reservation with rome-museum without losing any money, you can book the same entrance ticket, which lets you bypass the line, directly with the Vatican (15€+4€ reservation fee). You can also book guided tours with the Vatican it that interests you.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

The Vatican tends to change their procedures for entrance and their operating times every year. They probably won't update for next year until at least January. Check back on their website then.

I wouldn't use Spagna stop for the Borghese Museum. If you were to follow the signs for Villa Borghese (this is not the museum - it's the name of the park) in the metro at Spagna, you would be on a long underground trek which takes you to the top of Via Veneto after a long series of moving walkways/steps. You would still have a trek from there to the museum.

I would get off one stop before (Barberini) and hop the 116 bus (check on ATAC how often it runs)on Via Veneto or look at other buses from there. Here's the route for the 116.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9

If you zoom in once on the 116 map link, you will see the M Barberini and M Spagna. Then look at where the museum is up towards the top.

You could also catch a taxi the rest of the way from Barberini (it's uphill!).

You can catch the 910 in front of Termini. Buses to the museum:
- Bus n°: 5, 19, 52, 53, 63, 86, 88, 92, 95, 116, 204, 217, 231, 360,490, 491, 495, 630, 910, 926

Look at options on ATAC where you enter your itinerary. Be sure it's taking you to the museum, not just Villa Borghese (the park). This map link takes a minute to load, but shows all the bus stops/numbers in the center of Rome. You will have to zoom in a time or two to see the numbers and move the map around to the areas you want to see.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=3

Pammca Sep 20th, 2011 07:27 AM

Thanks for all the great advice, kybourbon - I have cancelled the reservation with Rome-Museum and will book directly with the Vatican Museums.

I'll take your advice to get off the Metro at Barberini and catch the 116 bus the rest of the way to the Borghese.

Thanks again!