Berlin - live here for one month or more

Old Sep 6th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin - live here for one month or more

Hi all,

I plan to spend one month or two in Berlin towards March/April 2012. I would like to get some tips to find an accommodation like renting a flat in Berlin because in a hostel it won't be comfortable (I work from home) and in a hotel it will be too expensive. I will go with my mate.

Thanks for sharing your experiences
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 11:08 AM
yk

What's your budget? A few years ago we stayed at an apartment in Berlin. We were perfectly happy with it. It looks like the apt we stayed in (Apt 1) is now only avail for monthly rental at 750€/month.
http://www.privat-apartment-berlin.de/
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

hi yk!
thanks for your reply, yes it is the kind of apartment I would rent for one month. Say that my budget is about €750 max/per one month. I only need the Internet so that I can work during this time. If you have any other ideas please share!

As regards this type of service, did you pay a safe deposit before signing any contract? And if needed, when was this deposit reimbursed?
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 08:15 AM
yk

When we stayed there (Fall 2009), I do not recall needing to pay a deposit. We basically paid full in cash upon arrival. However, it was only a 1-week stay. The owner may have changed his policy since, esp now that it's a montly rental. If you're interested, go ahead and contact the owner and see what the policy is.

The apt is a few subway stops North of Alexanderplatz. It's not as ideally located right in Mitte as other hotels/apts. However, the price is significantly lower than most other apts I was looking at, so we were willing to spend a little more time on commuting in order to save some money. It's only a short walk from both U-bahn & S-bahn stations, as well as multiple tram lines, so we felt it was quite convenient for us to get to anywhere. This apt was recommended to me by another poster on Fodors (sandy_b, I believe).
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM

750 euros is 25 euros a day, that's not very much for two people, so be realistic.

You will either have to be fairly far from the center of things or look for something in less expensive areas like Kreuzberg or Prenzlauer districts.

Your best bet is to google "cheap apartment rentals Berlin". Here's one resource I came up with by googling:

http://www.dirtcheapberlin.com/artic...tal/Page1.html

Good luck! Most Fodorites stay in a bit more expensive places. Check out Lonely Planet's Thorntree forums for better information for you.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM
yk

Hi again,

I found my trip report from my Berlin trip and I wrote a fairly detailed description about Apt 1:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-5980772
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks easytravelr for your link!
Thanks yk for your trip report, I will read it now to learn more about it.
To be honest I've changed my mind lately and I think that I will try to find another solution to live at least 6months, so a more conventional appartment.