Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   time between trains from Frankfurt to Berlin (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/time-between-trains-from-frankfurt-to-berlin-1046649/)

lmcart0812 May 28th, 2015 09:05 PM

time between trains from Frankfurt to Berlin

I am thinking of traveling from Frankfurt to Berlin by train and will have to switch trains at least once. Some of the times have a delay of 14 min and others have a delay of 29 min between trains. How much time should I give myself to switch trains. Both trains will be ICE.

greg May 28th, 2015 09:18 PM

Which Frankfurt station? Frankfurt(Main) Hbf or Frankfurt(M) Flughafen?

Which web site are you looking at?

Which station are you looking at the change?

If from Frankfurt(Main) Hbf, every ICE leaving :13 past each hour travels to Berlin Hbf without having to change the train. Look at www.bahn.com.

Dukey1 May 29th, 2015 03:06 AM

I would say 14 minutes between trains is plenty of time even if both trains are on time and you have to travel down one stairway, through a tunnel, and up a second stairway.

RJD May 29th, 2015 03:51 AM

This is the German railway. I have made a 5 minute differences in train arrival and departure times in a small station, but ten minutes should be plenty in Frankfurt.

nytraveler May 29th, 2015 04:41 AM

You don;t need a half hour between trains unless you are mobility challenged and will have alot of problems moving your luggage.

Since you have to get off the arriving train very quickly (be at the door with your luggage before it pulls into the station) to allow the ongoing riders (assuming the train continues to another destination) to enter - you wo;t need 25 minutes to get to the next train.

But I would look at bahn.de to see if you can get tickets for a train wth no changes.

BillT May 29th, 2015 04:48 AM

Yes if everything goes off without a hitch then 16 minutes should be fine but.... If your train runs a little late, you were not able to be the first off the train, and you have luggage issues, then I would say the 29 minutes gives you plenty of time so that you need not stress out.

PalenQ May 29th, 2015 05:27 AM

Like greg says many direct trains Frankfurt Hbf - main station in city centre to Berlin but if coming from the airport you have to take a local train or S-Bahn into the Hauptbahnhof and those run all the time - you would want to have as much time as possible if you have a discounted non-changeable non-refundable ticket so if booking that leave plenty of fudge factor time for planes to be late.

Otherwise just hop the next convenient train if you have a full fare ticket - easily bought at the airport train stations.

For lots on German trains check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. German trains now are often late but on this run you will not change after leaving Frankfurt Hbf.