St Andrews afternoon trip from Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on a tour in August and although we will be in Edinburgh, the tour does not go to St Andrews. We do have an afternoon free (between a morning city tour and the evening at the tattoo). Would it be possible to take the train after the morning tour to St. Andrews to see the golf course and town and get back in time for the Tattoo? Thanks
PS Are there any other golf courses in the area worth seeing if St Andrews is too far?
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:12 AM

You take the train to Leuchars - about an hour or so from Edinburgh and then a bus meets the train to take you the 5 or so miles into St Andrews - the Old Course is right on the edge of town - yes very possible and easily done - do try to also wander thru this ancient university seaside town - on the sea are some old ruins and nice views. Trains and buses run very frequently. www.nationalrail.co.uk for schedules - just buy your tickets in Edinburgh before the train. There may be direct buses - probably are - from Edinburgh right to St Andrews but i only report the way i went. A highlight of the train ride is when you cross the famous Firth of Forth cantilevered bridge - acclaimed a great feat of bridge engineering. Nice views over the forth from the bridge.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:35 AM

It's about 90 minutes each way on a twice an hour service. So even without actually seeing anything you've lost at least 3 hours of your afternoon.

I'd stay in town and see a show, goodness knows there's thousands of them on.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I just checked the schedule and the Tattoo is not until 9pm and if we even have to be ready to go by 8pm, that should give us a good 7 hours as long as the trains are reliable????
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If I was you - I'd skip the morning city tour and go to St Andrews early in the AM. A guided bus tour of Edinburgh is not really that exciting/important. Riding around while the guide tells you what this and that are and not going inside? OR - having time to see St Andrews?

I would NOT try to see St Andrews in an afternoon from Edinburgh . . . .

It takes a minimum 4 hours in the town if you just walk out on the Old Course, along the sands, the castle and cathedral - plus lunch. You will be w/ those folks on the tour enough already get off on your own for the day . . . .
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 03:14 AM

I disagree a bit with Janis. I'd have no difficulty with this.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:24 AM

There's a bus (number X59) about once an hour from the main bus station in Edinburgh that takes 1 hour 45 minutes to St Andrews. IF your tour finishes in time for you to get the 11.42 bus you'll be in St Andrews just before 13.30. Four hours in St Andrews, bus back at 17.55 gets you into Edinburgh at 19.37 and you still haven't been fed. It's possible, but you won't see half of what St Andrews has to offer. Also be aware that many of the eating places in St Andrews only serve lunches between abt 12 and 2pm. You'll be able to eat later if thta's what suits you but the choice will be more limited.
If you want to cross the Forth Bridge on a short trip from Edinburgh you can be in Dunfermline in barely half an hour with trains every half hour - and the connections to St Margaret, Robert the Bruce and Andrew Carnegie should keep you occupied all afternoon.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM

Why stop for lunch? Just bring a sandwich and eat it watching people tee off on Number 1 tee.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not totally clear re sheila's post. I have no problem w/ going to St Andrews. Highly recommend it in fact.

My problem is w/ trying to squeeze it in in an afternoon before having to rush back to dinner and the Tattoo. If it was me - I'd ditch the tour bus around Edinburgh. Whenever is in Edinburgh (or London, or Paris or most anywhere) you see these massive coaches full of folks pointing out at things the guide must be describing - they don't get off many place (usually none), just ride around gawping.

It wouldn't be a huge loss to skip the coach tour and spend the morning and early afternoon enjoying St Andrews and have plenty of time to get back, freshen up, eat and get to the Tattoo.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 03:33 AM

I certainly woudn't recommend the so-called "Stagecoach Express" bus - especially if you're pushed for time. Going by train is much faster (and you get to go across the Forth Bridge). Maybe it's changed, but when I lived in St Andrews the bus timetable from Leuchars was hopelessly out of sync with the train arrival/departure times, resulting in longish delays waiting for the connection. In this case, you'd be much better off using a local taxi between Leuchars and St Andrews. Doable but a bit rushed.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 07:31 PM

PS Are there any other golf courses in the area worth seeing if St Andrews is too far?
__________________________________________________ _____________
NO! Don't miss St. Andrews. Give up the tour and go for it! I hope you are going on a Sunday so you can walk barefoot all over it. Enjoy the The Military Tattoo- it's fantastic!