Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tieks for travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tieks-for-travel-926227/)

MelJ Mar 3rd, 2012 10:55 AM

Tieks for travel

In my never-ending quest to find the perfect shoes for travel, I've come across these:

http://tieks.com/

Pricey, but if they are as comfortable as they look, they could be "it." They are light, fold to pack, dressy enough to wear anywhere (or dress down) and the soles look solid and just thick enough to wear better than usual ballet flats. My problem with shoes like this is that the elastic back often pinches and, sometimes, the toe cleavage pinches, as well.

Thoughts? Anyone who's bought and used?

Thanks!

janisj Mar 3rd, 2012 01:13 PM

Never even heard of them . . . cute, but I wouldn't think there'd be any support at all.

(Did you intend to post this on the Europe board -- or maybe in the Lounge??)

Suspaul Mar 3rd, 2012 02:07 PM

I did a google search and went to their online shop, super cute ballet style flats, great colors, etc. but way to expensive for my tastes :((

Judy Mar 3rd, 2012 02:14 PM

Will I look like that if I buy them?

MelJ Mar 3rd, 2012 04:22 PM

Janisj, yes, I knew I was posting in the Europe forum. We have had threads on here about the best travel bag, shoes, purse, etc. before and I wanted the opinions of those who had maneuvered cobblestone streets, hills, long days, packing light, etc. Did you notice the thick rubber on the soles? That was what pulled me in--the idea of more support than the traditional ballet shoes, which I would never waste room in my luggage for.

Suspaul: I agree they are out of my budget also, but if they did double duty and lasted...

Judy: I wish! Right now I only travel with my ugly Merill clogs and I figure anything is an improvement over those--lookswise--but I can't give up the comfort of the ugly shoes :)

nytraveler Mar 3rd, 2012 05:45 PM

They look awfully insubstantial for walking. I think anything that folds provides essentially no support. Ok for evenings but I don;t think there's any way they would be comfy doing 5 or 10 miles during the day. b I think you would feel every pebble and uneven area in the coblestones through those soles.

During the day I usually do skechers Mary Janes - which have soles 2 or 3 times as thick as what you're looking at - and those are fine in towns and on pavements - but you really need something sturdier if you will doing any counryside walking.

frequentraveler153 Mar 3rd, 2012 08:08 PM

I would recommend Footzyrolls for great travel shoes. They are compact, fashionable and less expensive then the ones you mention. I always bring like 2-3 pairs with me when I take a trip.

MelJ Mar 4th, 2012 09:52 AM

Thanks for everyone for the thoughtful replies. I'm now looking at these--a little bit of fun, maybe?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/sperry-t...esultback=2038

LoveItaly Mar 4th, 2012 09:57 AM

Hi MelJ, I have always had very good luck with Sperry Top Siders shoes. In fact I just threw a pair away some months ago as they were worn out but I had had them for years. And of course the great thing about Nordstrom's is that you can return them if they don't work for you.

Suspaul Mar 4th, 2012 11:53 AM

MelJ, did you try to order a pair of Tieks thru their online shop? The few I tried had very limited sizes available, whew....saved me. Still like the looks and colors of them.

MelJ Mar 4th, 2012 06:36 PM

Suspaul, no I didn't try to order them after reading the responses here. Decided to go in another direction (see the Sperry's link above).

avalon Mar 4th, 2012 11:59 PM

I have been interested in the Gravity defyers that are shown in ads on just about every website I visit lately. They have numwerous styles that do not look like athletic shoes and a 30 day money back guarantee< the only thing holding me bacj=k is they only seem to come in medium width and i really need narrow!

MelJ Mar 5th, 2012 07:08 AM

Avalon, I had never heard of Gravity Defyers, but they look terrific. Actually, they look like Clark's. I'm going to see if I can find them locally and try them on. Thanks!

stellamarina Mar 5th, 2012 09:44 AM

Mel J, my mom, sister and I are waiting for our preferred colors to come back in stock. I have heard nothing but great things about these and can't wait to get them for my trip this summer. I see you went in another direction but I am excited for them! :)

MelJ Mar 5th, 2012 03:12 PM

Stellamarina---you'r referring to Tieks? Please let me know how you like them and if they are comfortable for walking.

stellamarina Mar 9th, 2012 02:23 PM

Yes Mel J, I will let you know. Still waiting for them to restock most sizes and colors!

paigewinters Jun 29th, 2012 11:10 AM

Stellamarina and MelJ - I waited for Tieks to restock Leopard and Camel for a long time too, and they finally did so I bought Camel first to try. I had to do an exchange because I'm a half size and I ordered up instead of down, but the process was actually pretty easy so I didn't even mind (they mailed me the new size before i had to send the other back)...As for the comfort - I really can't say enough. I live in San Fran and I've been walking the half mile to work each morning in my Tieks. The rubber soles give really great support and feel really sturdy (my friend has a pair of footzyrolls and it feels like you're walking barefoot in them). I've also fallen in love w the turquoise soles (i was unsure about them at first) and get complements on them all the time. I really want to get another color, I just need to decide which one because buying a pair is an investment. Any suggestions?

paigewinters Jun 29th, 2012 11:14 AM

I just re read that and realized I didn't mention how comfortable they are. They're really comfortable! I never once got a blister, either. Highly recommend them.