Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tickets for soccer match (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tickets-for-soccer-match-330989/)

elaine123 Jun 25th, 2003 11:52 AM

Tickets for soccer match

I would like to purchase soccer tickets for the Portugese home team and Manchester United for August 6. Can someone tell me if this is possible? Thanks.

emjoy Jun 25th, 2003 12:09 PM

I was in London earlier this month and I asked a friend who lives in a suburb how I could get tickets to matches since they don't seem to sell them through standard tickemaster type services. He said because of issues with 'hooliganism', they generally sell them only to people who have joined their clubs, or some sort of organization which means several months of some level of interactions. He told me if I gave him enough notice, he might be able to get me to a season game since he and his father are football supporters (although not ManUtd). ManUtd is so popular in the rest of the world that any available tickets would have been snapped up ages ago.
Although I'd be interested to hear how a decent-non hooligan yank like myself might be able to get tickets to see a match in season so I'll be watching this thread.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 25th, 2003 01:01 PM

I'm a huge ManU fan, as posted here many times before. The tickets are not as hard to get as many seem to think.
Few years ago, when I finally was able to afford to travel whenever I felt like and wherever I felt like, one of the trips I picked was a trip to Manchester to see my team play. I was all over the internet looking for ticket, everybody telling me that's not possible, but since I already had plane tickets and hotel reservations I went anyway. Well, guess what? The scene around Old Trafford, is no different then any football game here at home. If you don't have a ticket, you will be able to buy one from somebody. It's not as prevelent as here in States, but it's very possible. Since then I do have a regular guy that gets me tickets to 2-3 league games and at least 1 Champions League game at the Old Trafford. 2 years ago I sat next to the home players box during a Champions League game for 15 BP above the face value. I was able to get Sir Alex, Beckham, and one of the Neville brothers to autograph my program. So as you could tell, it's not as impossible as many will tell you. Here in States, the tickets broker program is well developed, in Europe it's not, so many Europeans will tell you it's impossible, but being from America, I will say it again, money talks. If you really want to be there, you will be there.
If you really want to assure yourself of being at the game, ManU, as well as just about all the other teams, have a VIP type program for each game. The price differs, depending on the importance of the game, etc..., and it is kind of expensive to begin with, but usually it does include the following:
pre-game breakfast, lunch at the stadium cafe, usually a member of the team will show up as well.
game ticket
after-game get together, again with 1 or 2 team members showing up.
As I said, that's an expensive option, usually starting at about 150-200 BP per ticket at the Old Trafford, but if you are one of these people that wants to make sure before you fly to Manchester, it's a good option. You could inquire about this on ManU.com or lastminute.com
Good Luck!

elaine123 Jun 25th, 2003 04:09 PM

Approximately how much would these tickets run if someone was lucky enough to obtain them?

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 25th, 2003 05:21 PM

My experiance has been around 10-15 BP above the face value.

elaine123 Jun 26th, 2003 04:09 PM

Is BP British Pounds? Thanks!

higgy Jun 26th, 2003 11:26 PM

not sure how aa frequentflyer can say 15 / 16 gb pounds above face value. as a guide i travelled to 4 games last year and the average price charged by the touts 80 pounds. they wanted 120 for the man city game. the reason the price is so high is that so many people from all over the world travel and dont care what they pay . it kills it for the local genuine fan who could not pay that week in and week out. but having said that tickets are available , wait until near kick off time. they will drop the price

garrick Jun 27th, 2003 02:54 AM

WWW.manutd.com. Which Portuguese team are they playing on August 6th ?

Kate Jun 27th, 2003 04:53 AM

In response to emjoy's comments, it's actually not very hard at all to buy tickets to most games. You purchase tickets directly from the teams who are playing (the home team has the biggest allocation - search for their website for info on buying tickets, you can often buy them online). Only purchae from the visitor team if you really are a fan and want to sit with them.

The only games that are significantly more difficult to buy for in the UK are:
any game involving Man Utd or Arsenal.
any derby game (when two teams from the same or neighbouring towns play each other)
any cup final or semi-final
end of season play-offs (qualification games for promotion to a higher league).

You should be able to get tickets for virtually any other team.

emjoy is also wrong about tickets being sold ages ago for popular teams. Tockets typically don't go on sale until about 3 weeks before the match for key games. If it's a really popular team or game, then season ticket holders or club members will usually be given first chance to get tickets, before it is opened up to the general public.

ManUtd operate a system different from every other team due to their popularity. Unless you us AAfrequentflyers more devious methods, then first you have to be a member (and I think there's a waiting list for this). Members names are then put into a ballot or some such thing to "win" tickets.

elaine123 Jun 27th, 2003 01:23 PM

Sporting Lisbon is playing Manchester United, so my husband says...

emjoy Jun 27th, 2003 01:35 PM

oh how I hate to read the words, emjoy is also wrong...' unless of course it's in a post about getting tickets to see a ManUtd! It's nice to know it isn't as difficult as my London mate made it seem, but then he's not rolling in sterling so I'm sure he considers paying 80 pounds for a ticket just ridiculous. But, if I travel to see them (not sure how I feel about Sir Alex at the moment), it's nice to know I could even get tickets at the door.
thanks

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 30th, 2003 06:52 PM

Manutd.com just came out with "Hospitality packages" for many the games. "Dreambreaks" are a match ticket / accommodation package which consists of match ticket, a minimum of one night's accommodation, museum tour, stadium tour, matchday programme, discount meal voucher for Red Cafe, and discount shopping voucher for Megastore. The site lists 19 different home games.
Here is the link:
http://www.travelcaresports.com/dreambreaks/

elaine123 Jul 2nd, 2003 04:06 AM

Thanks AAfrequent flyer for the info. I'm going to check into this.