Search

Tickets for cultural visits, museums and churches / Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2016, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tickets for cultural visits, museums and churches / Italy

Hello everyone.
Im back with more questionS for my trip to italy including Venise (4nights), Florence (5nights) and Rome (7nights).
So I was wondering about the tickets to museums, churches and cultural stuff, Do I get them online? If yes, are there any official websites for this?
Or should I wait to buy them at the entry of each one?

Is there a list of things to see ABSOLUTELY?

Thanks again alot.
You guys are the BEST!
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Everyone has (or should have) a very personalized list of things they absolutely must see. I wouldn't want a stranger to make up my list of things to see, any more than I'd want a stranger to choose my new car. You pay a lot for your trip, and it's worth your while doing a little research to find out what would most appeal to <b>you </b>.

It would help if you could tell us something, as specific as possible, about your interests. For instance, "I'm very interested in Renaissance painting", or "I'm fascinated by ancient Roman civilization", or "I really like late 20th century architecture." Something like that would help us to guide you to things that would make your visit to Italy very rewarding.

Some of the very popular museums and archaeological sites have very long lines to get in, and if you want to visit any of these, you should try to buy the ticket online. Just because these places are very popular doesn't mean you should definitely see them, though. For example, I've heard from many people who visited the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, because they heard they absolutely shouldn't miss it, but who were very disappointed.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 10:07 AM

I just got home from five days in Venice where I got a 72 hour vapporetto pass after I got there. I also got the pass to the Doges Palace plus two other museums. I loved the Doges Palace. For other sightseeing I just bought individual tickets as I needed them. No need to buy before the trip.

I was about to leave Venice and only had a short time to go into San Marco since every time I went by earlier there was a very long line. I went up by the front of the line so I could see the mosaics on the outside of the building, and to my surprise, the guard motioned me and several others standing nearby right into the basilica. On other trips I have attended a mass there which is lovely since the lights are turned on and you can really see the beautiful mosaics.

In Florence I bought the 72 hour Firenze card as soon as I arrived. The Bargello museum is the easiest place to buy it. There probably won't be a line there.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 11:17 PM

If you've ascertained that the Uffizi is something you want to see, here are two hints:

1) Be among the first to enter when it opens.

2) Walk at a good pace through the first dozen rooms or so, there is an endless pattern of repetition - how many very old "Madonna with child" can you want to inspect in detail? By the time you get to other items, you're suffering from museum legs already, so keep going.

The Accademia hosts the real David, which is the only item many visitors really want to see. Well worth it in most people's opinion, much nicer of course than the weatherbeaten replica out in the square by the Duomo.
You need reservations, can be done online.

In Florence, challenge yourselves and gain bragging rights by climbing not just one but both of these:

1) The inside of the Duomo, to the very top of the cupola (before you get there, the path takes you almost all the way around the inside from high up, worth the huffing and puffing already!).

2) The freestanding tower next to the Duomo.

C'mon, be a hero - you'll never forget it!
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 04:07 AM

The good thing about the Firenze card is it covers almost anything you might want to see in Florence. It costs$72 Euros, but if you get individual tickets, some of them cost 15 euros apiece. I really liked being able to just walk right into a museum or church without waiting in line.

One of my favorites was the Museum of San Marco and then the Newly redone Duomo museum.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 05:57 AM

There is no single answer to your questions. For instance, I might recommend seeing the Guggenheim in Venice, but you might hate it.

As for tix, that, too, is hard to answer. Every place is different. The Ufizzi and Accademia tix, for example, are best ordered via the international phone line -- no surcharge, no advance pay, timed tix. Others can be ordered online or walk-up. Depends on what you want to see and do.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 01:49 PM

If you're wondering why there are no art works in the huge Duomo in Florence - they are stored, and many of them exhibited, in a museum where they are safe, cared for, and humidity-controlled. The baffling thing to many is the name of the museum: Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore.

It is located in the curvy street that flanks the Duomo - the word opera means "works" - nothing to do with the fat lady who sings. Santa Maria del Fiore is the saint to whom the Duomo is dedicated.

Lots of visitors stop, look at the sign, and move on, not realizing what they miss by not going in. The mock-up of the history of the Duomo's construction alone is, to me, worth the price of admission.

When I was there, you could just pay and walk in, no reservations required.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks u guys! I guess since we're gonna be there during late november/early december, we won't be needing online reservation in advance, especially since there is no great sales in buying online. So while wandering in the city, we're just gonna stop by each little place and enjoy every bit of it.
Again, thanks u all. U're the best!
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 04:20 AM

I think that is a good plan for Venice, but if Florence is at all crowded, you may want to get the Firenze card to save waiting in very long lines. I found it very useful and it meant I could skip lines everywhere.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 03:55 PM

The original David was out in the weather for twice as long as the replica has been, so it's pretty weather-beaten itself. It's been repaired numerous times, and needs some more work right now. It's also been the victim of some very bad restorations.

The replica is in front of the Palazzo Vecchio, not the Duomo.

The reproduction is a very good one. I recently read a article by an Italian art critic who said that he didn't think the vast majority of people could tell the difference.

I've never understood why people think they <b> have </b> to see the original in the Accademia, but don't seem to mind seeing the replica of the bronze door (the Gates of Paradise) of the Baptistery. I've never heard anyone say you really <b> must </b> see the originals in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo.