Reload this Page >

Ticketless Travel and Transport in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Sean

I am flying ticketless into Paris (CDG). Are there any special requirements imposed by French authorities or is it them same for domestic flights -- a copy of the itineray and a passport?<BR><BR>Also, what is the best means (economical, easiest, safest) to get from CDG airport to the hotel. I know that there are metro stops near the hotel, but is this practical?<BR><BR>TIA<BR><BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Travis

I can answer the Metro question...I do believe it is practical, the metro is a cheap and easy way to get around paris. Once you figure it out, you will never want to take a taxi, plus the taxi drivers at the airport will try to rip you off.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Gretchen

There is no reason to say that all taxi drivers at CDG will try to rip you off. The taxis marked Taxi Parisien have meters and prescribed surcharges for luggage. So-called gypsy drivers will charge exorbitant fares but just don't take a cab that isn't marked Taxi Parisien. The RER is a possibility if you don't have large luggage.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 08:09 AM
elaine

Sean<BR>Having a metro stop near your hotel is a good thing, but handling luggage, even a relatively small wheely carry-on,is not easy. Some metro stations have very long corridors and, especially, many staircases which means you end up carrying your bag up and down stairs.<BR>Which hotel are you staying at, and address please? People can advise you with that info.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 09:28 AM
monica

I just travelled to Paris/London with an electronic ticket - no problems what so ever. All you need is your passport. You don't even need a copy of your itinerary. They will pull your reservation up with your passport.<BR><BR>Regarding the transportation - I would say that it depends on the amount of luggage you have. I took the RER out of CDG, then went on the Metro - easy to do but a pain with my luggage.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Monica

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 09:38 AM
trying

Sean: One thing we are looking at doing during our trip this spring is take the RER from CDG to Gare du Nord, then hop a taxi for the remaining few blocks to our hotel. I'd appreciate others comments on this plan, but what I think it will do is allow us to get into the city quickly and cost effectively, but avoid having to walk from the actual metro stop in our neighborhood to our hotel. Just an idea. (of course you may want to get off of the RER somewhere else along the route).

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Christina

Easiest is not usually most economical. Probably never. But easiest is obviously taking a cab. Cheapest is the metro. I wouldn't do it with luggage, but some people don't mind spending more time and energy and hassle to save a few dollars (that might save you about US$30 if you are alone). Airport shuttle vans are in-between in cost and convenience, I'd say, cost about $12. The Air France airport bus costs about $8-10, the metro/RER about $7. I've never been cheated by a French cab driver, they don't have any high reputation for cheating people (some cities do) that I know of. You have to go out of your way to get an illegal cab and people who do that know what they are doing (if you wait in official taxi lines, which are marked at airports, train stations, etc, they will be legit cabs).<BR><BR>My comments on tryings' idea -- wouldn't try it. Have you ever tried to take a cab anywhere else for a couple blocks? It's not usually a pleasant exchange. If it's a mile or so, okay.