Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Europe (
-   -   Ticket problem (

gladrod Jun 16th, 2006 11:11 AM

Ticket problem
Anyone ever get a speeding ticket in England? They want me to send in my licence, but I can't drive in the US without a licence. Any one ever have any experience with this? Thanks for any help.

LoveItaly Jun 16th, 2006 12:51 PM

I am confused gladrod. Are you a US citizen and resident? Were you visiting England and got the speeding ticket? Are you still in England? Or are you a resident of England, got the speeding ticket and plan on visiting and driving in the US?

Eloise Jun 16th, 2006 12:59 PM

LoveItaly, It hardly matters, but Gladrod, to judge from previous posts, is an American who got a speeding ticket while visiting England.

Gladrod, Most authorities in any country will recognize a notarized photocopy. You will have to go to a notary public, and his putting his seals and signature and whatnot on the document will probably involve a fee, but at least you will be able to keep your original US licence.

RufusTFirefly Jun 16th, 2006 02:35 PM

Don't send it and let them extradite you back to England. With airfares today, it could be worthwhile.

SandyBrit Jun 16th, 2006 04:32 PM

gladrod - Yes my DH who is an American received a speeding ticket last year when we were visiting in the UK. Those speed cameras will get you every time.

First off there was an automatic fee from the car rental place for providing his name and address to the authorities.

Secondly he ignored the part about sending in his licence but he did pay the fine and that seemed to satisfy all involved. I do not think it is wise to ignore a speeding ticket in England especially if you plan on a return visit and driving.


scot1 Jun 16th, 2006 04:39 PM

my dh got a speeding ticket in March this year from july 4 in Sardinia last year!! We ignored it, despite the fact that we were going on holiday to Italy the nxt week(easter) but nothing happened & i have since discovered hrough a lawyer friend that apparently they cannot impose a fine from another country, even in eu, once you have left the country!!

LoveItaly Jun 16th, 2006 05:35 PM

Eloise, "it hardly matters" are usually so tense..I hope you can find a way to relax.

ira Jun 17th, 2006 04:44 AM

Hi G,

If you were in a rental car at the time you got the speeding ticket, the police will bill the rental agency who will put that on your CC plus a fee.

Don't send your license.

Mail them a copy along with a check or money order.


SandyBrit Jun 17th, 2006 05:58 AM

gladrod - DH paid with his credit card


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:29 PM.