Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - Centraal Station to our hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 01:17 AM
s.fowler

We'll be arriving in Amsterdam on the Thalys at Centraal Station. Our hotel is over near the university. [on Singel] We don't want to struggle with trams, so what I am asking is what is the taxi system there? Is there a queue? If so where is it? Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 02:07 AM
frank

Taxi from rank outside station, can't remember much of a queue, nor exact location. <BR>NB - I can understand that you don't want to have to figure out the tram routes & drag your bags on when you just want to get to your hotel, but trams will be more convenient during the rest of your stay so its a good idea to buy your tram ticket before you hop into the cab - buy at a building opposite the front of Centraal station, ask for a strippenkart, its the best buy.(15 tickets - can be shared)

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:23 AM
AC

Hi Ms. Fowler: <BR>Finally a chance to help you!!! (LOL) <BR>I took the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam and when I got Amsterdam I went directly to the Tourist Office on the upper level of the Station. They gave great advice including use of the trams. Bought my tickets for the tram there and changed money with no fees. Everyone was friendly. Excellent directions including getting to my hotel. They told me excatly which tram to use and where to get off. Try it as it was the easiest thing in the world. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Sjoerd

The taxi stand is at the West exit of Centraal Station. Normally, there are many taxis waiting for arriving passengers.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:44 AM
s.fowler

Thanks fodorites! [Now I can cross *that* off my list of things-to-obsess-about]