Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Three women going to Portugal (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/three-women-going-to-portugal-679174/)

gailhwwg Feb 12th, 2007 11:36 AM

Three women going to Portugal

Three of us, all in our sixties and seventies, are going to Portugal from May 11th coming home May 20th. None of us has been to Portugal before. It is our thought to actually stay in no more than two cities, and to hire a car and driver for day trips etc. Money is not a huge concern, but comfort and ease of travel are. We all like historical sights as well as beauty, good food and local pottery,tiles etc for shopping. One friend says "just stay in Lisbon," another says "no, go out and stay in cities away." Have any of you ideas for an itenerary, hotels you liked (5 star is just fine, or fabulous posadas), restaurants, places you say we can't miss? We don't want too go south but north of Lisbon (beaches we don't need). Any help will be appreciated. Gail

isabel Feb 12th, 2007 01:29 PM

Sintra and Obidos are two towns that are wonderful and close to Lisbon. Sintra is very easily done as a day trip, Obidos is a little further. I would overnight in Obidos and do Sintra as a day trip from either Lisbon or Obidos. There is a pousada in Obidos but the Hotel Josepha d'Obidos is right up against the town walls near the main gate and is a lovely hotel as well.

The next major city (tourist worthy) north is Coimbra. There are three world heritage monasteries between Coimbra and Lisbon, in addition to the one in Lisbon (actually Belem).

There are several incredibly long threads on this forum titled "Things to do in and around Lisbon" which should give you tons of information. Matt and Lobo are two guys who live in Lisbon who are on this forum and they are incredible weaths of information. Try to go to a "Lisbon Dining Club" meeting.

gailhwwg Feb 12th, 2007 01:47 PM

Dear Isabel--Thanks so much, just the kind of thing I am looking for. Gail

omostra06 Feb 15th, 2007 12:07 PM

loads of lovely places to visit just north of Lisbon, Tomar, Abrantes, Constancia all 1 hours drive from Lisbon. lovely historic towns, especialy Tomar with its world famous heritage listed castle and convent.
i have lots of info and pictures of the central Portugal region on my website, its a property site but just click on the central portugal button for the info on the area.
http://www.gekkohomes.com
or email me if you want specific info on something, be glad to help. weve lived here for two years and love it

annabelle2 Feb 15th, 2007 03:25 PM

Isabel mentioned three great places besides Lisbon to consider: Sintra, Obidos and Coimbra.

It has been some time since I was last in Portugal but I have been there several times and it is a wonderful country.

In Sintra I was lucky enough to be a guest of friends who had rented a quinta, a gorgeous villa overlooking Sintra. Next door to us was an elegant hotel that may appeal to you -- the Seteais Palace. We had a drink there and it was very nice! You may want to check it out.

The problem with that area (where the hotel is) was that it was not w/in easy walking distance to the town center.

Sintra is a really pretty spot with a castle on the hill. Obidos is a postcard-perfect walled town. Coimbra has interesting Roman ruins (I am recalling mosaics?).

AllieNC Feb 15th, 2007 05:46 PM

I recommend the lovely old walled city of Evora, which is about 1 1/2 hours west of Lisbon, very close to the Spanish border. Evora is an exemplary World Heritage Site, has a small university and is wonderful for just walking around. The countryside around Evora is gorgeous, stark farm and cork oak lands & has not been developed. We found ancient megaliths and burial sites down long dirt roads, in farm pastures, with sheep grazing around them! Quite an experience. This is my favorite part of Portugal. Friends have raved about the luxury hotel Convento do Espinheiro which is a few miles outside of Evora -- it sounds perfect for you. There is a posada in Evora but I don't recommend it.

omostra06 Feb 17th, 2007 10:02 AM

that should be EAST of Lisbon...

gailhwwg Feb 19th, 2007 12:37 PM

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my request for info. We have about decided to fly into Porto and stay there for four nights, taking day tours and then going down to Lisbon for the next five nights, agaqin with day trips. We have found ahotel called the Pestana Palace in Lisbon- does anyone have any comments on it (the Lapa and the 4Seasons just sound too darn expensive at $600 plus a night per room-we like our opwn rooms)? Have you any ideas for a nice hotel in Porto, and how do you recommend getting from Porto to Lisbon-rail or plane? Have any of you used "Tours for You" for private day tours? All ideas and help appreciated ,mightily. Best, Gail