Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Three weeks back,,,,in serious withdrawal.....croque monsieur recipe needed!!!

Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

I came home for lunch(beautiful outside today) made a feeble facsimile of a croque monsieur, cracked open a cold orangina(ordered on line) and put on some Edith Piaf. Not a bad combination! Made my sandwich taste a little more authentic! Has anyone tried to perfect the croque monsieurs of Rue Cler? I know I need a heavy "peasant bread" , bechamel and a strong swiss type cheese. I think the secret is what they put in the bechamel and how it is toasted . I have googled and you tubed and tried many variations but need to improve more! Does anyone detect white wine in the bechamel? Help me foodies!
Merci.
Theresa
Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM

I think there is no substitute for Gruyere cheese, for flavor and melting quality.

You can make Bechamel, or Sauce Mornay (which is Bechamel with cheese).

But, I just toast the bread first, layer on some ham, then mix shredded Gruyere with mayo and some dijon, spread that all over and pop under the broiler until golden brown. Browning the cheese a bit, or more, imparts a really nutty flavor. Good baguettes are hard to find stateside, but the frozen two loaves for $1.99 at Whole Foods are very good. Texas Toast bread works very well, too.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DJBooks, I used gruyere at lunch and I agree about the nutty flavor after toasted! The ones on Rue Cler put a generous amout of cheese because it envelopes the sides and holds in the bechamel in a pocket. When I melt mine, the cheese and bechemal mix(not necessarily a bad thing). The sandwich on the whole, is stronger tasting than mine. I know, the wheat is different for the bread, and I think their cheese is stronger. I will be at a Central Market in a few days and hope to stock up on firm breads and cheese! Thanks again.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM

I use bechamel alot in cooking or as a base: i believe the most trad. recipes have you cooking the inital roux to which you have added some milk or cream for a full 10 or 20. min. to really cook the flour, and bring out the flavors. Most importantly is the 1 whole clove which you added to the roux and which cooks along with everything else those long minutes. It may be that that you mistake for the wh. wine. It is really miraculous the subtle unique (non-clovy) flavor it imparts.

Funny, i like the croques too, and don't feel i do them well. harder than they look!
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Grande,
EUREKA! Maybe the clove is it! I have never heard of this and appreciate you sharing. Thurs I get my bread and will try a new batch this upcoming weekend! Merci.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:26 AM

I would try a little freshly ground nutmeg using a microplane in the bechamel sauce
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM

Artlvr

Do you remember the name of the place on Rue Cler where you got the croque monsieur? I had my first one outside of Paris (and loved it), but have yet to find a good one in Paris. Thanks.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM

You might look for an aged Gruyere for more flavor.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM

nwtraveler - I had a very good croque monsieur at Le Lutétia, 33 quai Bourbon, on the Ile Saint Louis, during our Christmas trip.

Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
wug

Ahhh, Paris! You dream of Croque Monsieur, I dream of crepes! YUM!!! And baguettes! YUM!! Reading your post made me hungry and dreaming of that beautiful city!

Lucky for us, a number of years ago a French couple opened a bakery nearby. That ONLY place I've ever found in the US that sells baguettes that taste just like Paris. They have all the authentic pastries, etc. too. HEAVEN!!!
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM

I was once told (and I believe it) that a mound of shredded cheese toasted in the oven will have a lot more flavor than a slice of the same cheese toasted in the oven. Something about more surface areas being toasted.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM

Rachel Ray *just* made this on the food network this weekend... if your a RR fan. I'm sure the recipe is there.
Central Market- you must be from Texas!!! I picked up some yummy cheeses this past Sunday.. past the lips and straight to the hips MmmMmm- totally worth it!
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM

Any other places for a great croque monsieur? I just marked down the one on Ile St. Louis.

Oh, I had looked on the web for a recipe and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croque-monsieur Click on the photo on the right for a close up! Looks YUMMY!!!

Monica
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

As far as croque monsieur "research" ahemm....! The best place to me on Rue Cler is a shop about half way down on the right(coming from Motte Picquet). It is on the corner and has a cart out front with sandwiches , quiches and macaroons on the side. It is not far from Halles Bosquet at 50 Rue Cler which is a fruit and veggie market on the left.(also on a corner) I don't think they are across from each other, but close. Their bread is firm enough to hold up the massive cheese and bechamel without falling over. The cheese is toasted perfect and the right amount of ham. The worst croque monsieur I had was close to St Paul metro at a brasserie. I think they used american white wonder bread! It was nasty. Very basic with a scant amount of cheese, little bechamel. Anyway.,,,the ones on Rue CLer are consistantly good.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Just checked pagesjaunes. Looks like it could be 52 Rue Cler, Boucheries Roger. NOt positve from the photo but am pretty sure this is it.