Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Three to a room (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/three-to-a-room-698805/)

Shirleya53 Apr 21st, 2007 08:08 AM

Three to a room

My two sisters and I are going on Globus Heart of Europe tour. We will be sharing the same hotel room. Has anyone had the experience of three to a room in the European hotels?

MademoiselleFifi Apr 21st, 2007 08:18 AM

Yes, I've shared triple rooms with my mother and sister many times. Often the third bed is a smaller child-size bed. I'm of medium height (5'6") and didn't have problems with those.

ira Apr 21st, 2007 08:26 AM

Hi S,

3 women, 1 bathroom

Plan the logistics beforehand.

((I))

halfpint Apr 21st, 2007 08:29 AM

In London, a daughter and I shared a double room (twin beds) until the other daughter came, they expanded it to a triple with a rollaway between the beds whereas we had to enter and leave the beds from the end (very crowded) but it was fun anyway and of course they added to the cost for the rollaway. European rooms are generally smaller than here in the states, however we don't spend that much time in the rooms. Have a great trip. Halfpint

halfpint Apr 21st, 2007 08:30 AM

Hearing Ira with the (three women to a bathroom), goodness, think of the good old days when a family of maybe half a dozen kids and one bathroom in a home. Perfectly doable (In my opinion that is). Halfpint

janisj Apr 21st, 2007 09:31 AM

&quot;<i>Has anyone had the experience of three to a room in the European hotels?</i>&quot;

What do you want to know? If you are on a tour and booked as a triple you will have rooms for three. What they will be like depends entirely on the individual hotels/rooms.

nytraveler Apr 21st, 2007 12:05 PM

If you've booked triples on atour you shold have actual beds - either a double and a twin or 3 twins. for the extra a tour charges they should not be brining in a roll-away cot.

BUT - realize the room may be very crowded with 3 beds - and you may have to find inventive places to put your luggage so you don;t have to walk on it (in the tub when you're not using it?).

crefloors Apr 21st, 2007 12:44 PM

I certainly will not assume to tell anyone how to spend their hard earned dollars, but I pay what ever for a room by myself and can't tell you how glad I have been to have that small haven of piece and quiet at the end of the day. When I was in Stockholm with the family, my neice and I were supposed to share a room and when we got up there, it was so tiny I could not believe it. It was a very old building, had been converted to hotel, very small rooms. I fortified myself with a glass of wine (whine) went down to the desk and asked if they had another room...they said yes a single, I pulled out my plastic and within minutes the neice was trudging down the hall to her new room. BOTH of us were very happy. LOL

travelbunny Apr 21st, 2007 01:01 PM

..tour groups often use the larger chain hotels. Rooms tend to be a bit larger than the usual European rooms..still pack light and have a great time.

ira Apr 21st, 2007 01:55 PM

Hi H,

&gt;...think of the good old days when a family of maybe half a dozen kids and one bathroom in a home. &lt;

Which is why I suggested planning the logistics beforehand.

If they all have to have their luggage outside the room at 07:00 and be on the bus by 08:00, it will take planning and compromise.

((I))

andasamo Apr 21st, 2007 05:32 PM

My mother, sister and I shared triple rooms in Budapest and Rome. In both cases, the third bed was smaller but my sister and I took turns. The rooms were a bit cramped due to the extra bed squeezed in, but we didn't mind overly and were able to store our suitcases under the bed when necessary. Sharing one bathroom wasn't an issue at any point during our vacation.

For us, being together to chat at the beginning and end of each day outweighed the (in my opinion minor) inconvenience of sharing one room. We definitely plan to share a triple room again on our future trips.