Bologna was the second stop of our 17 day visit to Italy in October 2012. After 6 nights in Venice, we would be here 4 nights before moving on to Umbria.
After a pleasant two hour train ride from Venice, we arrived in Bologna mid-to-late afternoon and grabbed a cab to the hotel, The Metropolitan. It is located on a small side street between the train station and Piazza Maggiore, and would probably be walkable from the train station for a day trip, but I wouldn’t recommend it with luggage. The lobby area is small but very nice and the staff was very accommodating. After we checked in I asked the front desk if they could call the restaurant Serghei for a dinner reservation – they were able to just squeeze us in at 9:00.
And squeeze us in is just what they did! After settling into the room, catching up on some reading and e-mailing and what not, we headed out for dinner. Serghei was just short walk from the hotel- not even 5 minutes. Had we been staying longer, I would have liked to return. We were squeezed into a tiny table in the vestibule by the cash register and front door. I have a feeling they accommodated us as a favor to the hotel clerk, and had we called in ourselves we may not have secured a table on short notice as we did. We were given menus, I think, but to order the waiter simply told us what was available and we chose from that. I always want to try the dishes an area is known for, so I ordered the tortolini in brodo (and yes, the broth is divine!) and Ed had some type of pasta with ragu. For second I ordered bolito which was fine, but I think I got the last remains of what was available for the night. Ed’s second course – roasted pork shank (“Stinco” I think) was the winner of the evening. I’m basing that on his review, as, come to think of it, he didn’t even share with me.
Happy we were so close to our hotel, we enjoyed the short little stroll back home and hit the hay.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona to Malaga
- 2 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 3 Which Area in London?
- 4 Milan airport--which one
- 5 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 6 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 7 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 8 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 9 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 10 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 11 1st time to Europe
- 12 Paris November 2017
- 13 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 14 Paris Apartment
- 15 Trains - website?
- 16 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 17 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 18 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 19 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 20 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 21 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 22 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 23 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 24 Getting around Lisbon
- 25 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
Three short days in Bologna - Part 2 of the Hanabilly saga