Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Three nights in Zurich in Early May. Is Wengen a good option? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/three-nights-in-zurich-in-early-may-is-wengen-a-good-option-1721883/)

skis_and_songs Apr 16th, 2024 07:09 PM

Three nights in Zurich in Early May. Is Wengen a good option?

Dear Fodor’s Readers

We arrive in Zurich from America in early May and will have three nights there. We have never been to Switzerland or to Lauterbrunnen or Wengen but friends say these are spectacular. We would love to see them, but we are not sure that makes sense in early May as a) we will be jetlaged and b) I’m not sure early May is the best time. Plus, I’m sure there is much to see in Zurich. Should we make a day trip and stay overnight in Wengen or save that for another trip. If not going to Wengen, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Skis and Songs

Ingo Apr 16th, 2024 10:20 PM

I would probably head straight to Lake Lucerne and stay there for the 3 nights. Pick Luzern if you don't mind crowds and want to be right in the middle of everything. Or pick a smaller town like Weggis, Vitznau, Brunnen if you prefer quieter.

From there make day trps depending on weather. A cruise on the lake, Mt. Rigi, Engelberg with Mt. Titlis, even Wengen is possible. Or explore Luzern.

WeisserTee Apr 17th, 2024 02:45 AM

Another option is going to Bern -- there is a direct train there from the airport -- beautiful old town, some good hotels (we like the NH Bristol which is a short walk from the train station) and excellent restaurants (esp recommend zum Zahringer). If you're willing to make one train change, head down to Thun. It's on a lake, has a nice old town, including a castle, and a very good hotel (Hotel Krone) with on-site restaurant (perfect if you're jet-lagged). From Thun, it's an easy train ride to Interlaken, where you can catch the local to Lauterbrunnen and then up to Wengen. Tip: if you take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, be sure to face backwards on the ride up. The view is stunning. The next day you could go to Kandersteg or one of the other mountain sites, plenty of choices! Even Zermatt (about a two hour ride, go from Thun to Visp, then Visp to Zermatt).

Lucerne is beautiful but very crowded with tourists, esp group tours. Vitznau is lovely, we stayed at the Vitznauerhof hotel, an absolutely superb 4 star property (get a lake view room) with an excellent on-site restaurant. A short walk to the train up to Rigi, which has terrific views.

FWIW, we like Zurich, so if you're staying there, it has a very nice old town, is on a lake with Alpine views (weather permitting) and it's easy to day trip to places like Rapperswil. Some good restaurants too -- our favorites are Bindella, Nagasui, Glogge Egge (unfortunately, you'll miss mussel season), and Tao. Cafe Montmartre is utterly charming and perfect for breakfast or afternoon coffee break. The Storchen Hotel has a great cocktail bar.

A friend will be here in Basel for a week about the same time. I'm meeting her at Zurich airport for a week-end break -- staying at Hotel Krone in Thun, going to Wengen the first day and to Gstaad the next. Most places in Gstaad will be closed for the season, so few tourists. Makes it perfect for taking long walks and lingering in one of the few cafes that stays open for the locals.

skis_and_songs Apr 17th, 2024 04:16 AM

Ingo,

thanks so much for your post. I appreciate it. I will especially check out the smaller towns you mentioned. I should have added that we absolutely love the mountains and small towns. Cities are fine, but if they are crowded, we much prefer simpler surroundings. Plus, my wife is a landscape photographer. One other item is that we depart from Basel after the last day. All the best, Skis and songs

WeisserTee Apr 18th, 2024 07:08 AM

(fingers crossed this post doesn't also spend hours in moderator limbo)

If you're ending up in Basel (where I live), Zermatt could be a good option and it's easy to spend a few days there. From Zurich airport, you can catch a direct train to Visp (leaves the airport at 11:45 am) and then from Visp catch the scenic train to Zermatt. There are also several travel options that involve just one train change to Visp, then catching the train to Zermatt.

Works for Basel as well...Zermatt to Visp then direct train to Basel.

skis_and_songs Apr 20th, 2024 05:55 PM

Thank you very much. This sounds interesting.

by the way, what would likely weather conditions be like in Wengen in early May? Would we need hiking boots for the snow? Could we get by with sneakers in town?

WeisserTee Apr 21st, 2024 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by skis_and_songs (Post 17555587)
Thank you very much. This sounds interesting.

by the way, what would likely weather conditions be like in Wengen in early May? Would we need hiking boots for the snow? Could we get by with sneakers in town?

We were in Wengen yesterday and had heavy snow showers! But it was still fine for walking in sneakers or light hiking shoes. Here is a photo from yesterday

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...ff04d7449.jpeg

skis_and_songs Apr 21st, 2024 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by WeisserTee (Post 17554444)
Another option is going to Bern -- there is a direct train there from the airport -- beautiful old town, some good hotels (we like the NH Bristol which is a short walk from the train station) and excellent restaurants (esp recommend zum Zahringer). If you're willing to make one train change, head down to Thun. It's on a lake, has a nice old town, including a castle, and a very good hotel (Hotel Krone) with on-site restaurant (perfect if you're jet-lagged). From Thun, it's an easy train ride to Interlaken, where you can catch the local to Lauterbrunnen and then up to Wengen. Tip: if you take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, be sure to face backwards on the ride up. The view is stunning. The next day you could go to Kandersteg or one of the other mountain sites, plenty of choices! Even Zermatt (about a two hour ride, go from Thun to Visp, then Visp to Zermatt).

Lucerne is beautiful but very crowded with tourists, esp group tours. Vitznau is lovely, we stayed at the Vitznauerhof hotel, an absolutely superb 4 star property (get a lake view room) with an excellent on-site restaurant. A short walk to the train up to Rigi, which has terrific views.

FWIW, we like Zurich, so if you're staying there, it has a very nice old town, is on a lake with Alpine views (weather permitting) and it's easy to day trip to places like Rapperswil. Some good restaurants too -- our favorites are Bindella, Nagasui, Glogge Egge (unfortunately, you'll miss mussel season), and Tao. Cafe Montmartre is utterly charming and perfect for breakfast or afternoon coffee break. The Storchen Hotel has a great cocktail bar.

A friend will be here in Basel for a week about the same time. I'm meeting her at Zurich airport for a week-end break -- staying at Hotel Krone in Thun, going to Wengen the first day and to Gstaad the next. Most places in Gstaad will be closed for the season, so few tourists. Makes it perfect for taking long walks and lingering in one of the few cafes that stays open for the locals.

Dear Weisel Te,

Thank you! Wonderful ideas, I suspect we will be there at the same time as you and your friend. We will probably stay one day in Zurich and then follow your ideas. If we leave late morning from Zurich and need to be in Basel on Sunday would you recommend going straight to Thun or perhaps doing Thursday in Bern and Friday Saturday in Thun before returning to Basel. Also, what kind of footgear would you recommend in Wengen/Lauterbrunnen? Should we alter the plan to spend a night there or is a day trip to and from Thun/Interlaken best given the short time. (I do hope to return another time, but that is never certain.)

All the best,

Skis_and_Songs

skis_and_songs Apr 21st, 2024 06:01 PM

Sorry, I just saw this after posting. Is it likely to be this foggy/ cloudy in early May. Obviously we would like to see the mountains.

WeisserTee Apr 22nd, 2024 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by skis_and_songs (Post 17555926)
Sorry, I just saw this after posting. Is it likely to be this foggy/ cloudy in early May. Obviously we would like to see the mountains.

🙂 I am in Basel most of the time since I live there. As for weather, it’s spring so it can be changeable. Some photos from yesterday (snow) and two weeks ago (brilliant sun) and everything in between …

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...37a6d7c9f.jpeg
Thun
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...a496fd11e.jpeg
Gstaad
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...1886d8a87.jpeg
Bernese Oberland
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...131a89c96.jpeg
More Bernese Oberland

kleeblatt Apr 22nd, 2024 09:45 AM

Do what the Swiss do.... check the weather forecast daily. It's about 85% correct.

Melnq8 Apr 22nd, 2024 09:48 AM

Love that flower photo WeisserTee.

marlaoros7833 Apr 22nd, 2024 10:08 AM

i am arriving in Interlaken on April 28th. What is the best itinerary for two days with some hiking? thanks