Three nights between Venice and Orvieto

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three nights between Venice and Orvieto

This is one for all you experts who love to plan itineraries. I'm helping friends who will be leaving Venice by car on a Saturday and will turn in the car in Orvieto on Tuesday. They love the countryside, seaside, and beautiful scenery. What should they see between Venice and Orvieto? (They will have seen Tuscany and Florence) Any lodging ideas along the way?

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Meander thru Le Marche but stay in Umbria. I suggest Spello or Bevagna as a base location--or Assisi. A stop in Ravenna is worth an hour.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:33 AM
DRJ

I have two wonderful options for you.

Hotel Monte Conero in Le Marche is atop the promontory on the coast south of Ancona. Remodeled monastery, comfortable and with a good kitchen.

Le Case Gialle is a group of four or five apartments a few km from Bevagna, Umbria. Great hosts, lovely area and an on site pool.

Google for them both and enjoy.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:41 AM

I agree with Bobthenavigator - except that Ravenna is worth more than 1 hour. You need that just to see all the historical Mosaics. On another travel board several years ago, there was a thread about the most under-rated place in Italy. Ravenna got the most mention. In addition to the Mosaics, it has a very cute downtown shopping center. As you wander through the streets, you are aware of something strange - it's very quiet. There are no cars - most commuters are riding bikes - the three speed kind. Instead of the honking of horns, there is the "ring-ring" of bells on the bikes.

Urbino is also a fascinating town to visit.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Ravenna, Urbino, Gúbbio, Perugia, Todi, Orvieto. That's the itinerary that I would follow.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your wonderful replies! My friends Margaret and John are very grateful for your suggestions.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 11:45 PM

I agree that Ravenna is worth more than an hour--spend at least a day there. A stop in Bologna is also worth a day or so (more, if you can manage it).

Also, Urbino and Macerata are great stops along that route, and Le Marche is a great place to explore. It has seaside, countryside, AND beautiful scenery. Stop in Sirolo and Monte Conero for excellent views of the sea. Stop in Fano for a historic beach town.