Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Three days in Locarno (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/three-days-in-locarno-455570/)

chicagobluesman Jun 30th, 2004 09:26 PM

Three days in Locarno

I'll be spending a long weekend in Locarno--Fri, Sat & Sunday in mid-July. I'm a bit familiar with Ticino from prior visits to Lugano, but this will be my first visit to Locarno. I'm bringing a bicycle that folds into a suitcase, with hopes of finding some very nice biking to do while I'm there.

So...hotel recommendations? I'd like a 4-star property, hopefully near the train station. Also, has anyone biked around Locarno? Any other not-to-be missed day trips in the area?

Finally, any suggestions for making my 10am flight back to the states from Malpensa on Mon morning? Train to Lugano with connection to Malpensa express bus?

Thank you!

jmw44 Jul 1st, 2004 04:36 AM

Hi cbm, at the sbb website I see a 5:59 train from Locarno that arrives in Lugano at 6:48, and another one 6:29 - 7:12. Do you know the times of the transport to Malpensa from there? By the way, you change trains in Giubiasco.

I can't recommend bikerides, but there are good folks here who can, if you'll just continue to top. There are three valleys to explore, Centovalli, Maggia, and Verzasca, but you'll need the input of another biker to tell you if their bike-friendly. There are lovely little towns on both sides of the Swiss end of the lake, Ascona, Brissago, S.Nazarro, Vira, Gerra, etc. And I don't know how far you can extend yourself, but if I could, I'd bike all the way to Cannero Riviera. Later, J.

bobthenavigator Jul 1st, 2004 01:06 PM

If you want a challenge, and a wonderful experience, ask the locals about Val Verzasca just north of town.

Ingo Jul 2nd, 2004 06:23 AM

An excellent 4star hotel close to the train station is the Belvedere.

Regarding bike rides: The Centovalli is great for this. Haven't done it myself, but a member of our Switzerland Support Groupe, Grasshopper, is enthusiastic about it. Take the Centovalli train from Locarno to Camedo and ride all the way back down to Locarno.

Or take your bike with you on the bus to Val Verzasca - like bob recommended - and get off at the last village, Sonogno. From there ride back down to Locarno.

Other option: along the lake promenade Locarno-Muralto-Minusio and further to Bellinzona, which is a charming town with three castles (and a fantastic market Saturday morning).

Ascona, the Brissago Islands and Ronco are places not to miss near Locarno. Also, the small funicular (stop at the Belvedere hotel) goes up to the convent Madonna del Sasso in Orselina - beautiful church and stunning views of the lake and mountains.

That should be enough for three days ...

Ingo

Grasshopper Jul 2nd, 2004 06:39 AM

I LOVE the Centovalli Ride. And the best thing is it's all downhill! Ingo is exactly right. You can ride all the way back to Locarno. You can also rent a bike in Camedo if you prefer. Stop along the route and take one of the gondolas up the mountain for spectacular views and lunch at a "grotto". (You can rent bikes at the train station in Locarno if you prefer not to bring yours). Also, the ride to Bellinzona would be very nice. DO visit the castles. They are extraordinary.

I stayed at Albergo Navegna, about 1k from the train station right on the lake. It was a lovely little hotel. If you don't stay there, please do go for dinner. They have a wonderful terrace restaurant on the lake.

I love Locarno and the surrounding areas. You will have a great time.

chicagobluesman Jul 2nd, 2004 09:42 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied with such great ideas! The bike ride suggestions sound perfect--exactly what I was looking for. I've been leaning towards the Hotel du Lac, as it sounds modest, unpretentious and well-located. But...I might splurge on the Belvedere...although Albergo Navegna looks wonderful, too.

Thanks again--you've helped make my trip!

JN Jul 3rd, 2004 04:58 AM

Hi,
I've stayed at the Du Lac twice and love the location, clean rooms, great Lago Maggiore views, nice breakfast and helpful staff. It is not a 4*, but does, as I recall, have air conditioning. We've only traveled there in the cooler months April and May. I'd assume you'd really need it though in Mid July.

BTilke Jul 3rd, 2004 10:16 AM

In the current issue of Traveler, in the Ombudsman column, there was a letter of complaint about the Belvedere in Locarno (not Bellagio!!). You might want to read it before booking there. However, I have NO experience with this hotel so haven't the slightest idea if the complaint letter was justified. (Basically, the people who complained to Ombudsman said the room was very disappointing and when they opted to stay elsewhere, they were charged for three nights at the Belvedere and things went downhill from there...)

Ingo Jul 3rd, 2004 12:32 PM

BTilke,

that's interesting. Have stayed there 6 years ago and the folks who have stayed there last year upon my recommendation had no complaints at all - they loved it!

Complaints about the room? Hm, what could that be? Btw, people making reservations ahead for a week or so often do not realize that they indeed have to pay three nights if they do not show up or leave earlier. That's according to law in most European countries!

Ingo