Three countries-- three moments of awe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already commented on other threads about restaurants and hotels and so there's no real need to add anything here.

Therefore my "trip report" will consist of telling the reasons why traveling is still so important to me--the moments of unanticipated and unexpected pure awe.

We were lucky enough to have one in each country we went to. In the UK while strolling around London on our first afternoon there, we saw that St. Martin-in-the-Fields was having their Evensong Service at 5 PM that afternoon. This worked out perfectly for strolling coming back to the service and then going to dinner immediately after, since we were still on Eastern daylight Time at that point.

We were there with time to spare and so we looked around the gift shop on the ground level. Had I been able to take anything home, there were so many lovely things I would've enjoyed buying there!

We went upstairs, got situated in the church and waited for the service to start. When the young people started to saying I almost could not contain my tears! It truly was hearing the "choir of angels". I am so grateful that we happened upon the information about this event. It reinforces my traveling style of not believing in planning everything.

The second moment of awe was in Italy. This one perhaps, should have been anticipated on my part but was not. In Florence in the Accademia, it is set up in such a way that you walk around the corner after entering the museum, and find yourself in a corridor at whose end is David lit up beautifully by the natural light coming through the ceiling. The beauty of it took my breath away! I lingered and wondered just how long I would've been able to stay--I did not want to move away from it. I have never reacted to a statue in this way.

The third moment was in France in a small city named Chambery. We stopped there mainly to break up the long rail trip from Florence to Paris. For some reason this really very lovely place has very little tourism outside of ski season. We stayed two nights and on the second day as we were exploring the town, we entered the cathedral, a very old church. The organist was in there rehearsing, I believe, for an upcoming concert. The dramatic music--totally overwhelming in the best possible way--within the beautiful space was another travel experience that could never have been planned.

All three of these experiences were transcendent! I am so grateful that we went on this trip and were able to experience these moments of visual and aural beauty that truly took us outside of ourselves!

All of our trip was really great, but these three experiences alone would have made the whole trip worth it.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Damned Siri!! Above she wrote "saying" where it should be "sing" and I missed correcting her!
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
socialworker - nice thread.

We've had some moments like that too, some also involving music - the trumpeter practising next door to our restaurant in Salzburg who gave us a free lunch-time concert, the wonderful candle-lit concert in Pope John Paul's cathedral in Krakow, the lovely rose garden in full-bloom in florence that we came across by accident.

as you say, it is very often the unplanned moments that make a trip.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 09:22 AM

thanks for sharing socialworker. evensong is truly a unique experience in London
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM

One of our transcendent moments was the first time in France together, having left a very cold and depressing Toronto spring. Saw flowers outside our hotel in Fontainbleau - that was almost enough.

The next day we were in Loches, in the Loire valley, walkding around at sunset, with trees in bloom, birds singing, the ruins of the chateau behind us. "how could we think that we didnt need to come to Europe every year?" we asked ourselves.

The next day we found the Dordogne, and have now lived here for 18 years.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

What a lovely story, Carlux! Amazing the paths that we can set upon unexpectedly......
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 10:11 AM

Your post just turned my drab, rainy, depressing, morning here completely around.

Thank you!
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Sigh! Thank you.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM

>>Damned Siri!! Above she wrote "saying" where it should be "sing" and I missed correcting her!<<

I thought maybe you were using Southern pronunciation.

That was lovely - thanks for posting it.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Great thread, socialworker!

I had a brief moment like that in Florence last year. ms_go was napping, so I set out to wander a bit and ducked into a small church that's in nobody's guide book. A young organist was giving a recital, couldn't have been more than 19 or so. And this guy was amazing. Bach himself would have been impressed!
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM

How exciting: I had exactly the same moment in Florence. I was annoying my husband about what I had read about The Prisoners and my head turned. There HE was, talk about the classic Double Take!! The sun was shining on the fabulous David.

Similar moment in London: evensong at Westminster
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Beautiful. I also loved Chambéry, was there for one day before my flight home from Geneva. Had initially thought of training to Annecy (where I'd been before) but ended up staying because I was not feeling that well. What a lovely old town. It was Sunday, the town was very quiet, I enjoyed walking around discovering the old back alleys and the gorgeous buildings. I also went into the cathedral - impressive. I will go back one day to explore the museums.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM

It is often music that does it, isn't it? Once, on a weekend break in Hamburg in early November, it was a bright day with autumn colours on the trees standing out in the sun against a clear blue sky, but bitterly cold, and I took refuge in a nearby church - I can't now remember which. I found a full choir and orchestra rehearsing the Brahms German Requiem (it was the run-up to the Remembrance weekend, so the music was all the more moving). There were quite a few passers-by held as enthralled as I was.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Awesome moments..Coimbra..organ recital in chapel, only on feast days and we were there !. Florence..late for the Acadamia but the gate keeper let us in as far as the hallway for a peek and there "he" was..aglow in the rotunda. A green flash on seven mile beach..Lisbon.Queluz Palace..3 kindergarten classes on tour were meeting "Dona Maria" and her entourage in full court dress. Awe and wonder abounding on all the little faces (and ours)
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 04:05 PM

Thanks for sharing, socialworker, for it is truly these moments that years later, we reflect on. And while we may enjoy a memorable meal or experience the perfect risotto, I always look forward to the unexpeted moments that make memories.

Like getting totally lost in Venice and ending up taking a ride around the Grand Canal at night just to get back to the hotel. Unplanned, unexpected, but still my fondest memory of Venice.

Just the other day, I came across a picture of me standing at the base of David. It was taken sometime after 1985 - I don't remember it being taken (or how I am the only person there), but it certainly shows the awe on my face. A Kodak moment for sure. Thanks, again.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM

I love these special travel moments .. great thread. My personal experience which often springs to my mind happened in '98. My son, daughter, son-in-law (pre kids days) and I had spent two weeks in a small German village on the Rhine. When our apartment stay ended, we traveled by train to Prague .. relaxing in one of those compartments, enjoying the countryside and views and just being together. Arrived in Prague, went to our small hotel high up near the castle. We asked for a nearby restaurant and were directed to a small place, almost old world in feel. But when we exited after dinner the true magic began. It was misting rain, the castle was all lit and we couldn't believe the beauty! We quickly returned to the hotel, grabbed umbrellas and jackets and began the most gorgeous stroll through that paradise. I honestly believe we had the whole place to ourselves! I can still see the gentle rain, illuminated by those gorgeous street lanterns, the architecture of the buildings highlighted. For those who have been to Prague, I'm sure you can imagine how very special it was.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Hadley, you paint such a lovely picture of your stroll that I can imagine being there!

I also love your reference to the train trip when you say "enjoying just being together". That is what we all hope for, and yet too few of us manage to find it.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 05:49 AM

I love this thread - it captures the true reason most of us travel!

One of many special moments from my trip to England with my mom in 2011 was a visit to Romsey Abbey, in Hampshire. We were on our way back to Winchester from the New Forest, and made an unplanned visit to this delightful little town with its gorgeous abbey. Upon entering the abbey, we were treated to a spectacularly empty church and the sound of the organist practicing for services. While we stood in awe of the combined history, architecture and music, a very modern sound inserted itself into the moment - the ring of a cell phone. The organist stopped playing and answered his phone: " 'elo, luv" - and Mom and I just grinned at each other. It was the perfect juxtoposition of quintessential English history and the modern world.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

You really made me smile, BB!! You are right, how perfect!!

(Parenthetically I also absolutely *love* the English's use of the word "luv". Always makes me feel warm inside.)
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:41 AM

Oh thank you for these lovely moments.

It reminds me so of all the real reasons we travel, not just for ticking boxes off a "must-see" list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -