Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   threatening, scary response (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/threatening-scary-response-206802/)

jen Nov 12th, 2001 07:18 PM

threatening, scary response

I think my sense of humor might be sort of dulled today, but i posted yesterday about a hotel in venice and received a creepy response in return. just hoping there's some goodness on this site for newcomers. the hotel, by the way, was the locanda san barnaba.

careful Nov 13th, 2001 03:08 AM

That's why most posters don't put in their real email- you get nothing but spam and creeps.

Patrick Nov 13th, 2001 03:48 AM

I totally disagree. It seems to me that the honest true posters tend to use real email addresses. It's primarily the creeps that use the fake ones. Of course, I know there are a few exceptions, but you won't usually see the most helpful regular posters using fake emails. I have used only my real address for nearly three years, post a lot, and have only received spam once and only received two "creepy" personal emails. Ok, so I suppose I'm setting myself up for some now, but just thought I'd tell it like it is. I think "Creeps" not helpful people hide behind the fake addresses.

Joanne Nov 13th, 2001 03:58 AM

I have to completely agree with Patrick's response.

xxx Nov 13th, 2001 04:05 AM

In agreeing with Patrick I did go and look and there's a very odd response from Surlok, which I think, only makes sense if you assume Fodors edited the thread. I don't think Jen intended that she had an email; simply that it was posted here.

Surlok Nov 13th, 2001 06:09 AM

Yes, Fodors edited the thread. That's weird, because before, that sort of post, saying nothing but nasty things, were usually posted on another kind of thread, or answering another kind of question. <BR><BR>I haven't seen that before, in my experience on this board, I mean, such a nasty answer to a question merely asking information about a hotel.<BR><BR>Honestly, these posts sounded to me as being written by the same person, that posts and them answer to him/herself, under another alias. The post are similar in style, they lack content, depth, and reasoning, and are simply and merely aggressive. Had I been given the gift of guessing, I would say that these posts' author is an adolescent ( or at least someone quite immature).<BR><BR>There were similar posts on three or more threads last night, but there were different threads, more conceptual than actually asking an objective question about traveling.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S<BR><BR>

Surlok Nov 13th, 2001 06:18 AM

Ooops.. I meant " that posts and THEN answers to him/herself using another alias.."

elaine Nov 13th, 2001 06:29 AM

I'm afraid that characterisations like<BR>"creepy", "weird", "nasty", etc<BR>are exactly what the creeps want to see.<BR>I wish we could all (including me) have the self-control and fortitude<BR>to absolutely ignore the unpleasant responses, yes, even when they appear in the middle of an informative or helpful thread. Let's just pretend we didn't see or "hear" them, even when they are doing their best to be provocative and persistent.

Surlok Nov 13th, 2001 06:36 AM

Agreed, Elaine. That's what I usually do. but in this case, it was apparently the first question posted by the OP on this board. I felt that someone should let her know that the answer she got was not representative of the other Fodorites and their attitude on this forum...<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S<BR><BR>

mia Nov 13th, 2001 07:21 AM

I was horrified at some of the responses last night, so many personal attacks, in disguise!It is creepy to write in response to a travel board and to receive such hateful replies,having nothing to do with the topic..and I really do not like the idea that certain people are singled out and called names, as if these "creeps" even knew any of us! I would like to see all of the worthwhile posts (pertaining to travel info-nothing personal or inciting political debate) topped regularly so the creepy stuff can stay at the bottom,where it really belongs.Just MHO ~M

al Nov 13th, 2001 07:27 AM

Reading the posts late last night, insomnia being one of my latest symptoms of the times, I felt that some of the posts were being sent by the same person, using different names.Just some kid/bored person, browsing through legitimate threads and derailing them with hateful remarks,name calling,and just general childishness..someone mentioned that these things happen late at night when certain people are bored/alone/cruising for trouble...looks like that is what happened.I guess ignoring them is the best reply-as hard as it is not to try to tell someone to get lost.I just hope people like Jen do not lose out on information that could be helpful, being turned off by the many nasty responses a normal question can elicit.

nosey Nov 13th, 2001 07:28 AM

May I enter this thread and ask what was your question and what kind of spooky response did Jen get. I have been out of the loop for a bit and trying to get back in. I know that people have been horrible on this forum. I think that the US one is worse. I moved over to Frommers.

Surlok Nov 13th, 2001 07:50 AM

It was a simple and direct question about Locanda San Barnaba in Venice..<BR><BR>And there was another post, " A belated thank you" that was trashed as well. Fodors already edited the thread.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

mimi taylor Nov 13th, 2001 07:57 AM

I agree with you completely Mia, I think that adding to the comments as you do, Surlok, only makes thinks worse. You can't reason with this sort of poster. Striking back is what they want. Ignoring someone is one of the best thing you can to in retaliation

Surlok Nov 13th, 2001 08:05 AM

Pardon me, Mimi, could you elaborate..?? To what comments are you referring ??<BR><BR>S

Ana Nov 13th, 2001 08:11 AM

If it gets weird, just drop it. Go on. There are so many interesting threads. Don't waste your time.<BR>

Surlok Nov 13th, 2001 08:18 AM

Ana,<BR><BR>FYI, I'm pasting my answer above:<BR><BR>"Agreed, Elaine. That's what I usually do ( ignoring). but in this case, it was<BR>apparently the first question posted by the OP (Jennifer) on this board. I felt that someone should let her know that the answer she got was not representative of the other Fodorites and their attitude on this forum..."<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S<BR><BR>

notme Nov 13th, 2001 08:26 AM

Anyone who leaves an actual email address on a message board will probably leave their cars unlocked in NYC with a wallet on the front seat.<BR><BR>It's not about "trust" or "honesty"; it's about asking for trouble.

Patrick Nov 13th, 2001 08:32 AM

I realize "notme" that your post was meant to insult and get us riled up, but I won't stoop to your level. I would never leave my wallet on a seat in a car or leave my car unlocked in New York and I totally fail to understand what such a comparison has to do with a person being honest and himself on the internet, which I am. As a result of my being honest I have made many friends from Fodor's not only on the internet, but having met them across the country.

mimi taylor Nov 13th, 2001 09:14 AM

when you and your friends were having a conversation about food and the nasties turned it around.