Barcelona Trip Report

Search

Barcelona Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona Trip Report

So Barcelona was the first stop on our 6.5 week holiday.
Flying from Australia, we arrived 25hours later in Barcelona at 2.15pm. By the time we went to the hotel, it was past 3pm. We checked in, and we stayed at H10 Art Gallery Barcelona, which was an excellent hotel.
Day 1: Sunday Barcelona 26th of August
I wasn't jet lagged and was ready to roll but my DH was jet lagged so day 1 consisted of an early night.

Day 2: Monday 27th of August
- We had breakfast at our hotel, which was amazing.
- Walked around but noticed stores didn't open until 10am
- At 10am went to Vodafone and bought and organised a prepaid sim.
- We then continued to walk around and explore.
- We tried to navigating the metro but got a bit lost. We wanted to get off at La Rambles, but instead got off at another station and proceeded to walk and walk and walk before getting to La Rambles. It was then lunch time. We had a mediocre meal at La Rambles and then another snack food from La Rambles before deciding not to eat their again.
- We then took the train right outside of La Rambles (yep) and we made our way Castell de Montjuïc. So it was a train and then a funicular ( a cool vertical train), then we get off right outside the entrance of the Montjuïc Cable Car. We bought tickets (buy online save a euro). then made our way to the Castell, it had no real lines so we entered immediately. It was very nice and scenic, the castle was interesting.
- We then explored more on foot. Had dinner and that was day 2.

Day 3: Tuesday 28th. Again hotel breakfast
Today we went to the gothic quarter and looked around. We went inside Palau De La Musica Barcelona and did a guided tour. We had lunch at a restaurant nearby called Tosca.
We then went to the Picasso Museum (which was small exhibit of his early work).
In the afternoon we walked along the marina. Barcelona was very hot.

Day 4: Wednesday 29th of August.
-Booked a hop on hop off bus tour, but it was terrible and we didn't do it the whole day.
-We went to Park Güell (we had tickets for 9am - book online as the tickets are restricted. We spent a few hours here taking photos and walking around. We made our way to Sagrada Familia for our guided tour with tower access (approx 1.5 hrs guided tour plus as long as you want up the tower plus about 10-15mins to walk down). The guided tour was great, but the tower access was overrated and I would not recommend. You literally go up an elevator to one of the basilica towers, you get some restricted views of the city and then you walk a few hundred steps down a narrow staircase. It was a really hot hot day, so after the tour we returned to the hotel at approx 4.30pm.
I went for a swim and we had a rest. We then went to get something to eat before going to Magic Fountain.
Magic Fountain started at 9.30pm and the demonstration goes for 30 mins, then it repeats. We watched for the first 30 mins. Then right next to the fountain a group of people were doing a show of some sort martial arts with glow sticks (light sabers?) it was interesting to watch a bit. Then we walked further down and saw a Hip hop act. We got on the train and it was 11pm, so we went straight to hotel and sleep

Day 5: Thursday 30th of August
- We had a sleep in
- Again ate our included and delicious breakfast.
- Took the train to Montserrat at 10.25am
- We decided to take the cable car from the train up to the first part of the mountain. We then took the funicular up to the top (one way), we hiked our way down and took many spectacular pictures along the way. This trip was a highlight for me (i'm a nature lover). Once we completed our long hike, we took the cable car back down and returned to our hotel via train. I walked 20km that day.
We returned to hotel had a little break, then went for dinner literally next to our hotel.
We returned to pack our bags for the day.

Day 6: 31st of August
We took a taxi to the train station. The train departed for Paris at 9.25am. Taking the train was comfortable, relaxing and easy. We arrived at the train station only 40 mins before departure.
Next trip report to come - Paris.