Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on a winter train trip in Great trip.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of you may know that I generally take a train holiday in the winter. I am making plans, assuming decent health. I prefer small villages or towns. I am not your typical tourist as the train rides is the main thing followed by a fair amount of pub time. So here some places I am thinking about and would appricate your input. Filey, St. Bees, Bardon Mill, Hellifield, Settle, Little Preston.

Thanks a bunch
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM

Suspect you'll know about this already, but if not, hope that this is useful

http://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk/
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM

Don't know any of those places but YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:39 PM
ron

There's no Little Preston in my UK atlas; do you mean Long Preston?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a Little Preston that is part of the parish of Great Preston near Leeds. And there are train stations nearby -- But I wouldn't think that is where you meant??

Of the ones you list - the only ones I've been to are:

Bardon Mill (Great for Hadrian's Wall) The only pub I remember specifically is Twice Brewed Inn which is in Once Brewed a couple of miles from Bardon Mill.

Settle -- which I'm surprised you haven't already visited what w/ your train/rail interest

and Filey (by accident on the way to Scarborough one day ) Looked like a typical pleasant seaside town/beach. Don't know how great it would be in the winter.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM

I'm guessing you have it mind to take the Carlisle-Newcastle line - pretty countryside views from the train, but you don't get to see any of Hadrian's Wall. I once stayed in a B&B that was technically in Bardon Mill but felt like miles from anywhere. You might prefer to stay in Haltwhistle, which is a pleasant little town with quite a few pubs within staggering distance of the railway station.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM

Ron

Little Preson is near Leeds.

Roger - go for it.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 11:19 PM

I know some of these places well - recently spent a few days just outside Hellifield, which is a busy village (has a main road running through it and a pretty constant stream of traffic). Main attraction is the location in that it is in gorgeous countryside, ideal for walking, and also not far from one of the Dale's most popular and spectacular attractions (Malham Cove). The countryside is beautiful in winter and no reason why you shouldn't visit then - you'd be very unlucky if there was sufficiently bad weather (i.e. heavy snowfalls) to disrupt traffic as this is on a major route.
Filey in winter would be 'bracing' and more than a little bleak and many places will be closed (but not the pubs!). I tend not to visit during the winter months as I find it all a bit drear and depressing, although I am sure others do find a certain attraction in a deserted seaside town out of season. It rarely snows a lot on the east coast.
Like Ron I think you might mean Long Preston, probably most famous for its Rohan Outlet.......
I am sure as a train expert you'll know all about Ribblehead, but this place is amazing!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribblehead_Viaduct
In fact we did once struggle to open our car door up there because of the strength of the wind - and this was in May!
Settle is a nice little market town.
Lastly I would recommend you bring very warm clothing.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
filey, good choice, can be b@@@ cold, sea front small arcade area probably closed though fishing boats still launch from the beach. Area away front is typical dull failing area. But on the cliff front some nice hotels. The Brig is bracing
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. First, I did mean Long Preston, not little Preston. Janis, been through Settle, never stayed.Patrick, actually I will be coming from St. Bees and I did spend two days in Haltwhister..enjoyed the village and the bus to visit parts of the Wall Morgana, Two years ago the weather was just plain bad. However, I really don't dress much different from other times. I do take a jacket with a heavy liner, gloves, skull cap and sweater. If it's really bad I head to a warm pub. Well I have been known to hit the pubs even in nice weather.