Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thought Provoking Thread: What Place Have You Visited, That Made You Feel Like Leaving Your Past Life Behind?

Thought Provoking Thread: What Place Have You Visited, That Made You Feel Like Leaving Your Past Life Behind?

Feb 26th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

In other words, after visiting a new area for the first time, what area made you contemplate leaving where you currently live?
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Dothan, Alabama. I knocked over a 7-11 and have been on the lam ever since.
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:03 PM
P_M

Oh, geez, that's a tough question because I've visited so many places I would want to live. The first that comes to mind is Hawaii. But there are so many others. I can't choose!!

degas!! >
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:05 PM

London. And I did. And I have no regrets.
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Surfergirl--

What's it like to move to a new country? Was it hard getting permanent residency (ie legal citizenship, etc). Did you have a lot of friends who lived in London?
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:12 PM

San Francisco. During my first stay there in my son's flat in Haight Ashbury, I found myself thinking, "I could LIVE here."

Of course I immediately reminded myself how much money I'd need to make to be able to live even minimally in that great but expensive city.

Much as I love Europe, I haven't felt that exact feeling there.
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:17 PM

By the way, thanks for the giggle, Degas. Nice to see you in these parts again, in good form with an unexpected offering that leaves us smiling.
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM

It would have to be Ireland. After my first 2 week visit, on my way to the airport for my flight home I had no desire to go back home and could easily see myself living in Ireland.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my grandfather was born there and immigrated to the US in the early 1900's. But since having been to Ireland I have gone through the lengthy paper trail and have gotten my Irish citizenship...hmmm...maybe my dream will become a reality and I will move there one day!
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Spain, and I did it. Making Barcelona the final destination, however, was my stroke of genius.
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:40 PM

milliondollarbbw,
I was in the right place at the right time, and was able to get permanent residency. Yes, I knew people there, and made a great many longlasting friends over the years I lived there that visit me and let me and my family visit them for extended periods. If you don't take the opportunity when it comes to you, no matter how hard it might be to mentally pick up and go, you will regret it for the rest of your life!
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Dotham, Alabama,
Because Degas was there.
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Grand Cayman Island and Venice, Italy. Everywhere else I've ever been I was happy to eventually come home. I guess that is good! And that is a bit of a goofy thing to say about Detroit, but I can't help it.
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:17 PM

I have been to Dothan and can understand the appeal. You kill me Degas.
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:47 PM

One word...Tuscany
Feb 26th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Jerusalem
Feb 26th, 2006, 08:32 PM

Amsterdam. Paris is my favorite city in the world, but I feel most at home in A'dam, because any and everybody can feel at home in A'dam.
I feel similarly about San Francisco and Toronto.
Feb 26th, 2006, 08:39 PM

I actually LIVED in Dothan (the Peanut Capital of the World) for 4 years. There are actually worse places than Dothan, including the small podunk Alabama town I'm now stuck in.

Back to the topic at hand, I could be persuaded to never leave the Berner Oberland.
Feb 26th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Kelliebellie, You are right about Grand Cayman. I begged my husband not to make me get back on the Princess cruise to go home. I could have stayed there and snorkeled for the rest of my life!!!!!
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:34 AM

I think I get this desire whenever I go away. But I'm also aware that a holiday is very different from working in a place. I'd thought about working as a designer in Rome or Florence, but figured it might ruin Italy for me if I was doing the same old job in a different place.

In the end I've satisfied my desires (for now) by buying a holoiday home in Southern Italy - so for a few weeks a year, I get to live my fantasy life, and then I can come home to pay the bills!

My ideal would be 6 months in Italy, 6 months in London - best of both worlds. I need to enter 'Who wants to be a millionnaire' first, however.

On the up side, I recently lost my job when my firm went under, and doing the sums have come to the conclusion that if I don't get the right job in the next few months, I could rent out my London apartment and go and live in Italy on a shoestring. See, life ani't so bad!
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:49 AM

I went to the Cirque d'Hiver in Paris last week and thought of running away to play in the circus band.