Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Those little misunderstandings... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/those-little-misunderstandings-520468/)

althom1122 Apr 11th, 2005 04:57 PM

Those little misunderstandings...

On our first trip to Europe, we were eating breakfast in Rothenburg and getting ready to head out to walk the wall. I was concerned about having enough film, and although I'd just put a new roll in the camera, asked my husband if he'd gotten a couple extra rolls. He pointed to his jacket pocket and said yeah, he had. Less than an hour later I ran out of film and asked my husband for more. He said he hadn't brought any. Exasperated, I said, "What do you mean, you told me you'd gotten a couple extra rolls." He looked at me sheepishly, unzipped his jacket pocket, and pulled out two "rolls" - from the breakfast table that morning. We laughed so hard it was impossible to be angry...
Anyone have similar stories of vacation miscommunications? :-)
Karen

Betsy Apr 11th, 2005 08:28 PM

At least once a day around here, Karen :-)

Marilyn Apr 11th, 2005 08:43 PM

Where do I start?

P_M Apr 12th, 2005 04:30 AM

This isn't a vacation story, but here it is anyway. Years ago when my husband first moved in w/me we were doing laundry one day. I told him to put the clothes into the dryer. About 30 minutes later I went in to see if the laundry was dry. They dryer was off and the clothes were still very damp. Problem? I only said to put the clothes into the dryer. I never told him to turn on the dryer. We still laugh about that.

twina49 Apr 12th, 2005 04:59 AM

P_M,

I probably shouldn't generalize, but is this a male thing? My 24-year-old son does the same thing. I'll ask him to unload the dishwasher and even though there might be dirty dishes sitting all over the kitchen, he doesn't think to load it up again unless I've specifically asked him to do so.

As far as the subject on little misunderstandings, I heard a joke a long time ago about the first married astronauts who go to the moon and on their way home, the wife asked the husband where the moon rocks are and he says, "I thought you packed them...."

ira Apr 12th, 2005 05:03 AM

> I only said to put the clothes into the dryer. I never told him to turn on the dryer.<

My first wife told me to go out to the garage and turn on the dryer. It said, "Pull On, Push Off".

So I did.

((I))

tamjam Apr 12th, 2005 05:29 AM

Althom1122 - Thank you for sharing your story. It was very cute. I can just picture it in my mind. Hate to say, but I am one who will take a little something for later too.

Indygirl2 Apr 12th, 2005 06:03 AM

I love your roll story. A few years ago I became romantically involved with a man from Ireland. I told him once in passing that I really liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. He exclaimed that the combo sounded awful, but I assured him that it was an American staple. He seemed rather repulsed, however. Some months later, I was visiting him in Dublin. We spent a night with his parents and remembering my love of peanut butter, he'd asked his mom to buy some for me. Over breakfast--with both the peanut butter and "jelly" on the table--I asked him to explain why PB&J sounded so disgusting to him. Finally, he realized that by "jelly," I meant jam. Jelly to him was "Jello." Well, obviously, a PB& Jello sandwich would be completely unappetizing. It was a silly thing really, but we laughed about it for months.

althom1122 Apr 13th, 2005 06:04 PM

Topping... because I feel SURE that others of you have some funny stories to share!

Kayb95 Apr 13th, 2005 06:33 PM

We were staying in Aberfeldy, Scotland and drove (mistake - should have taken the train) into Edinburgh for the day. After dealing with several construction detours and one-way streets, we finally found a parking garage - but it was kind of far from the Royal Mile.

So we started our walk into town and my mother told us to keep an eye out for a loo - as she <i>really</i> had to go. My dad said he saw a sign that said &quot;toilet&quot; so we started walking down this side street, all the while looking for the toilet.

We walked a bit of a distance and decided there wasn't a toilet down that street, so we turned around - not wanting to get lost. When we got back out to the main street, Dad pointed to the sign he saw and immediately realized his mistake. Instead of saying &quot;toilet&quot;, the sign said &quot;To Let.&quot;

We all had a good laugh over that one (Mom not so much - but she can laugh about it now.) We'll never again look at a &quot;To Let&quot; sign without thinking about it. :D

Worktowander Apr 13th, 2005 10:32 PM

There was the time I asked a London hotel clerk for advice on proper attire for a show I was going to see - a skirt, or pants?

With a stunned look she said I should go for the skirt.

Only later did I realize that while I meant trousers, she thought &quot;panties.&quot;

Then there was the time I...