Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Thorough Trek of Italy Blog (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/thorough-trek-of-italy-blog-1036455/)

branderson925 Feb 3rd, 2015 08:12 PM

Thorough Trek of Italy Blog

Found this:
http://blog-that-shhht.blogspot.com/...e-part-iv.html
In case anyone is looking to really spend a quick trip in Italy. HA

annhig Feb 3rd, 2015 10:57 PM

funny - after all that trouble getting to see the Leaning tower she never tells us what she thinks about it.

oh to be young and have so much energy. Though Pisa, Florence, Venice and Rome in 3 days does seem a little like overkill.

I wonder how long she gave Paris? a whole 24 hours perhaps!

bvlenci Feb 4th, 2015 01:30 AM

My favorite quotation from the blog:

"The Pantheon. I don't know what exactly is the purpose of this building, but it sure looks ancient Roman to me."

She didn't go inside, of course, because it would have added five minutes to her tight schedule.

kybourbon Feb 4th, 2015 04:19 AM

I can't imagine doing several overnight trains in a row.

I think the Italian kids going to Comic Con were teasing her about teh door not opening.

sandralist Feb 4th, 2015 04:53 AM

I didn't click on the link but whether one moves fast or slow really has nothing to do with what one understands or where one will later go in life, or appreciate. The first time I traveled abroad, it was for a 12-week trip, beginning in Athens. Ween I arrived in Athens airport I took the bus to the city, and was so disappointed that everything looked like Los Angeles to me except this one temple up on a hill, which I suddenly reliazed was probably either called the Pantheon or Parthenon. I couldn't remember, and had no guide book to look it up. (I had a map, that's it.) I was 17.

I spend the next months wandering through many amazements, with everything being a surprise (the trip mainly focused on the middle east after Athens). That trip absolutely changed my view of the world in so many ways.

I suspect "Fodorites" would have found it hilarious what I did -- real cause for mockery -- but I still have friends who are Greeks, Egyptians, Palestinians, Israelis, and we still continue the conversations we began then about our respective countries and cultures.

In its own way, it was a great and unrepeatable advantage not to know much of anything about where I was or what I was seeing. I could pursue what attracted me spontaneously when it came to the art and history that I was encountering, as it naturally piqued my curiosity, rather than on some fathead's ideas of what's a "must see" and what to enter and explore. Fortunately, I was not burdened in my life by adults who had traveled abroad and considered themselves sophisticates who made fun of me or other young people, and locals were gracious too. I missed a lot -- but so what? I went back later and saw it with eyes mature enough to appreciate it.

May the young stay forever young -- or at least remember what it was to be young and not mock the young for being honest (rather than pretentious).

sandralist Feb 4th, 2015 11:37 AM

I found time to click on the link and read the entire blog post. I was charmed by her enthusiams and her appreciation of all she saw, and quite amazed by her masterting Rome's transport system so quickly to see so much of what she was determined to see. She is quite the fearless and intrepid solo traveler. I've read stupider trip reports from slow travelers and people on their umpteenth trip to Rome, that's for sure.

zoecat Feb 4th, 2015 02:31 PM

<<I've read stupider trip reports from slow travelers and people on their umpteenth trip to Rome, that's for sure.>>

Are you saying this is a stupid trip report? Can you define what is a "stupider trip report"?

Thanks!

andyrenee Feb 4th, 2015 04:43 PM

I'm so glad you posted this! I found it chock full of information like prices and mishaps to avoid.

branderson925 Feb 5th, 2015 08:54 AM

Hey, I'm young myself and use Fodor's quite a bit for critiquing my possible itineraries. I almost always get told I'd be doing too many places in a short bit. I just posted the link because I thought it was just a little amazing/bewildering to cover all that space in Italy in such a short bit of time. I definitely travel quicker as a 24 year old on a budget than 75% of the people posting here.

I don't think the author of the blog is "stupid" just a little too ambitious. I wonder what really has lingered with her upon returning home. I get the vibe that she's from Europe so it is much quicker for her to get to Italy just to spend a weekend than for me to take a trip. I'm sure she had a lot of fun and made memories but I feel like more time is spent on this trip in transit (nightmare)

And plus, posting on here I think is almost in no way going to get back to the author. Sure it is possible but I really think the chances are slim she were to visit this exact thread and click the link. Hey, you never know.
I apologize for "picking on" a more inexperienced traveler. I see how it isn't of good nature. I just couldn't help providing a couple of chuckles.

annhig Feb 5th, 2015 11:17 AM

I don't think that you picked on her at all, branderson and some of us appreciate a chuckle or two.

others seem to delight in taking a contrary position just for the sake of it.