This weekend in Switzerland: Please help with itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be in Switzerland this weekend. Wanted expert's opinion on my possible itineraries

I am arriving in Zurich on Sat morning around 8AM, leaving Basel SBB at 720PM. I have thought of the following itineraries. I have a Swiss Pass

1. Sat: Zurich Airport-Lucerne (store luggage)-Arth Goldau-Rigi Kulm-hike to Rigi Karltbad-Vitznau-Lucerne stay the night
Sun: Roam around Lucerne old town, trip to glass factory, transportation museum- train to Basel

2. Sat: Zurich Airport-Lucerne (store luggage)-Arth Goldau-Rigi Kulm-hike to Rigi Karltbad-Vitznau-Lucerne , see old town.
Sun: train to Lauterbrunnen; Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg-Lauterbrunnen -train to Basel

3. Sat: Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg-Lauterbrunnen
Sun: Roam around Lauterbrunnen, Wengen (open to suggestions)

1. Involves least traveling. But weather forecast in Rigi is cloudy.
2. Involves quite a bit of traveling, Not doing Lauterbrunnen justice. But the train travel from Lucerne to Interlaken involves the scenic Golden Pass.
3. Again a lot of traveling. But may be worth it. Haven't ever been to Lauterbrunnen to be sure. Is it worth going to Lauterbrunnen for a day? If I do this how can I best plan my itinerary within the scope of the Swiss Pass?
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 11:48 PM

The weather will be fine all weekend. "Föhn" is expected, a warm wind from the south (mountains), making for extremely blue sky, high temps and perfect views.

I am not sure about the trail conditions for hiking up on Rigi mountain. They got a good dump of snow in the last days, might be snow covered/muddy this weekend. But you could at least enjoy the views and hop on/off the cog-trains at different stations.

I would probably go for option 2. Start early (around 8 am) so you have enough time for Mürren and the other places. If you don't want to pay the surcharge for the cog-train from Wengen via Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald then stick to the Mürren side of the Lauterbrunnen valley. It is a good choice for a first impression of the area.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply and information. I was also leaning towards option 2 (will be a good use of the pass). I would be catching the 7:55AM train out of Lucerne. Is it also possible to see some of the waterfalls around Lauterbrunnen within my limited time?
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone confirm if the Lauterbrunnen Grütschalp cable car is still in service?

If not, what is the best and most scenic route to do the Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg-Lauterbrunnen loop
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 09:33 AM

No, the gondola Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp is not in operation this weekend.

Hm, maybe just go up to Mürren from Stechelberg (although it is going to be shut down) and walk around a bit.

Another option: If you go up to the other side of the valley from Interlaken you can take the bus as far up as Beatenberg. Pretty good views of the lakes and the mountains from there. If you want to you could go up to Niederhorn mountain by taking the gondola - runs every 20 minutes, cost is CHF 15.60 with Swiss Pass (50% discount). Gorgeous views from the top.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ingo, please explain.

If the gondola to Grutscalp is shut down how do the people who live in Murren leave town?

Do they have to take the gondola to Gimmelwald and then the gondola down to Stechelberg-- then the post bus to Lauterbrunnen?

Pepper
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information Ingo. sbb.ch shows a regional directly from Lauterbrunnen to Murren on sunday 4/29. What is that route?

I have to look into Niederhorn Mountain.

Should I go to Wengen instead?

If I follow plan 2, I will have ~5 hours in Lauterbrunnen (10:30AM-3:30PM). I was planning to fill that with Lauterbrunnen- Grütschalp-Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg- Trummelbach falls-Lauterbrunnen in this period.

What else can I fill my time with. One option is the Niederhorn Mountains.

Lauterbrunen-Wengen-Mannlichen doable?
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 01:09 AM

Pepper,

yes, that's right. When the Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp - Mürren connection undergoes revision and doesn't run the Mürren locals take the cable car down to Stechelberg with one change, then the Postbus (or their own car) to Lauterbrunnen.

thrincique,

oddly enough, I cannot find the information anymore. Looks like the Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp - Mürren gondola/tram do run this weekend. In any case, one change at Grütschalp is necessary (from gondola to tram) so sbb.ch is incorrect on that. But it seems you *can* do the round trip. Highly recommended.

You could go up to Wengen, but I'm not so sure it's worth your time. The views are not *that* much different than from Mürren. Maybe try Trümmelbach waterfalls between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen instead (bus stop).
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Ingo,
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the Lauterbrunnen- Grütschalp-Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg- Trummelbach falls-Lauterbrunnen loop.

If not possible due to closures I would do the

Lauterbrunnen- Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg- Trummelbach falls-Lauterbrunnen.

What I was thinking is if I can do something apart from this? And is this doable in 5 hours. I also wanted to hike one section of it. Which section would you recommend given my short time?
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 06:56 AM

It is doable in 5 hours. If you want to walk/hike part of it I'd suggest Winteregg (tram stop between Grütschalp and Mürren) - Mürren, stroll through the village and down to Gimmelwald. These are the most scenic parts.

If there is enough time you could walk back to Lauterbrunnen from Trümmelbach waterfalls. Follow the road for a short while, then turn left, cross the river, then turn right in direction Lauterbrunnen. You'll walk by Staubbach waterfall and have enough time to watch it than just see it from the distance and shortly when riding the bus.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

How much time would it take to walk
(1) Winteregg-Murren

(2) Murren to Gimmelwald?
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Luaterbunnen is having storms. Should I change my plans?
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 12:27 AM

Probably too late now, but I would have preferred Beatenberg/Niederhorn.