Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

This sounds like a good price to me-what do you think?

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 03:58 PM
Patti Suttle

Boy, getting prices and info. on the Eurostar can be confusing! Here is the best price I have been able to get so far75 per person one way London-Paris on the Eurostar, plus a $5.00 Eurostar fee and a $10 mailing fee-(not per person) -you can't actually book until March for our July trip. We cannot ask specifically for "forward" seats but will get "non-smoking" seats. This is a group rate-must have 10 people-which we have.It *sounds* OK to me but I don't know all the ins/outs of the eurostar-even after doing my homework. Would appreciate any comments on this price-thanks!
Patti

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Vicki

I agree that the information available on the Eurostar site is confusing. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way the fares are priced either. I want a fare with a next day return so I can spend one night in Paris but that seems to be the most expensive trip to book. From the info I found it looked to be nearly $200 per person but only half that if you stay 2 or more nights. I don't get it.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Judy

Hi Patty, I am not even close to being an expert on the Eurostar, but when we went 4 years ago, I paid about the same for a one-way London-Paris tkt. FYI, Judy

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 10:46 AM
elvira

$75 one way is a super buy; the cheapest I've seen is a $90 r/t fare for Saturday day trip; there have been occasional "$50" tickets, but it's only a few on a certain train (never available when I've wanted them).

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Patti Suttle

Vicki, Judy and Elvira-I called again and verified this price ($75 per person with a group $5.00 fee and a $10 mailing fee) and it is correct! But, you have to have 10 people-and we do. So, I guess it is a good deal then! It is one-way London-Paris. They said they don't take bookings until 90 days prior so will book at beginning of April (for early July). They said it is the same price as the passholder fare.
Thank you all for your input.
Patti

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:41 PM
steve

I would guess that one could still
take a ferry across the channel. How
much time does this involve, and how
do the prices compare? My daughter is
terrified of tunnels, and I think she
would prefer a ferry if one was available. Could we ride local trains to
get to a crossing (from London), take a
ferry, and then pick up another local train that would get us to Paris?

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:36 AM
lee

Ferry is slow, what about hovercraft. It has been many years since we went that route, and we had a car so did not have to worry about trains etc.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:30 AM
Judy

Patti, Just a quick update from today's paper: 78$ r/t same day return London-Paris thru March 31,,,,,great prices.. I also meant to add that my fare had the taxes and stuff and came to approx. 92$ FYI, Judy

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 06:26 PM
Patti Suttle

Thanks again everyone! I'll be happy with my $75 each plus $15 fees(not per person) fare for July (group rate).
Patti