The current plan is to visit Italy again, this time with my Dad too. UK has been shelved this summer, or rather the anticipated 2 week trip. I certainly hope to at least visit London for another long weekend.
If plans stay settled, it will be 6 nights on Lake Como before we move on to Venice. This will be my third trip (also my Mom's third trip).
I'm trying to figure out new things to do - having been there twice we've already visited a number of villas for instance (some of which we will see again with Dad in tow). We went on a seaplane ride the last time, too.
So far, here is what I have. I was wondering if anyone else had other ideas too. As I find more I will come back and post them here so that this can be kind of a repository of "things to do and see" on Lake Como.
We have spent little time wandering Como itself, time permitting, we may at least take the funicular ride. Friends of mine usually stay in Cernobbio and rave about it so we might have to check that out if we have time. We also haven't been to Isola Comancina.
There is a slice of WWII history here in that Mussolini was executed on the western side of the Lake (Mezzagra?).
There is a small castle high above Varenna and I may try that hike this trip. We stay at the Eremo Gaudio so we already get great views.
We went to Milan the last time for all of four hours. This time we might actually get reservations for The Last Supper.
I have yet to venture much north of Varenna/Menaggio. Am I missing out on much by not doing so?
Thanks for any comments.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 2 GTG Paris December 2017
- 3 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 4 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 5 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 6 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 7 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 8 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 9 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 10 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 11 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 12 Paris Apartment
- 13 Visit to France
- 14 Barcelona to Malaga
- 15 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 16 Trains - website?
- 17 Which Area in London?
- 18 First time in Spain
- 19 family trip to Germany and more
- 20 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 21 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 22 Packing Champagne
- 23 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 24 Milan airport--which one
- 25 two days in Nice
Third time visitor to Lake Como seeks new things to do and see.