Thinking of Paris in September--advice?

Old Mar 13th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of Paris in September--advice?

We were thinking of going to Harry Potter in Florida, but with the exchange rate, Europe is sounding like a better idea.

We went to London and Paris in Mar/Apr 2014. Loved both cities. Husband is thinking of going back to Paris in September. We *were* thinking of Rome/Florence/Venice next year, but that would likely be postponed if we go to Paris.

So, September is still high season, costwise? If we could delay to October, would that be...well, better as in cheaper? Or does it really not make that big of a difference?

How’s the weather during those two months? I know no one can clearly predict it, but typically?

I thought Husband was thinking of a week; come to find out, he’s thinking of TWO weeks. I know, we could do a week in Paris and one in Rome (skip the others for now). If we were to do that, what would be the best way to get there? I’m assuming open-jaw into Paris/out of Rome--but what about between them? Fly? Train?

I don’t know if he wants day trips or what. I’ve bookmarked some websites about that, but will take suggestions. He has said that he would rather not drive overseas; drive elsewhere in the US, fine, but he’s just not comfortable with the idea of driving overseas. So, given that, is there a way we could see any parts of Normandy and WW2 sites? Would we be better off with a tour group for that? Suggestions, if that’s the best way, given our given?

When we were there last year, we stayed at the Hotel Dieu. Yes, it was a very simple room, but Husband really liked the location (and there was a bread festival going on in front of Notre Dame that week). Since they bill in Euros, the price would actually be lower in dollars than before.

Any help would be most appreciated. We have a bit of time, but want to get cracking.

Jolly for us, a friend invited us to visit her this month--in Honolulu. Yeah, terrible. We’re trying to enjoy life before we get too old or our health issues flare (they’re under control now, but who wants to take chances).
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 11:34 AM

You are wise to enjoy travel while you can.

Paris will be very busy in September, but a lot of that business will have to do with industry trade shows. I would expect you to be able to find simple lodging and eat in simple places without difficulty. The only is AC, which I would want, or getting a room/ flat with windows that don't open onto a street.

Rome will be hotter.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 11:38 AM

We spent last 2 weeks of October in Paris [2012] and the weather was amazing! It was like Indian Summer, warm days and cool nights. Glorious sunny skies. However, the last few days we were there got cold and windy. No guarantees with weather but I'd go in October in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 11:43 AM

Since you have been to Paris, Italy would be great, especially if you have two weeks so you would not have to rush and could see other towns and villages close to your major cities. You could see so much more and not use up much time traveling.

Late September or early October would be fine. Do multi-city, into Venice, out of Rome.

Take the train in between. Trains are very good in Italy, right from city center to city center.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 01:19 PM

Paris isn't Disneyland so it doesn't have high season in the summer. It's a major business city and its rates are like any big city -- mainly related to business. September and October is the high season, at least as far as hotel rates go. Rates for attractions don't change at all, nor restaurants. SO all you are talking about is hotel rates and they won't change until maybe end of November or eearly December, some hotels give discounts then.

Some airfare rates might be lower in October by a bit.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 05:52 PM

We were in Paris at the end of last September and really enjoyed it. The weather was perfect.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 08:55 PM

My preferred time to travel to Paris is early October, when there is no chance of a heat wave and it is cool and quite pleasant. I enjoy needing a light jacket or sweater but not a real coat. But like any time of the year, there is always a chance of a day or two or more of rain.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 10:30 PM

September and October are not necessarily more expensive than other months but, as Christina says, it is high season for hotels and restaurants so book early.

For September and October, there is absolutely no need for air conditioning.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 05:15 AM

Despite what Sarastro says, we were in Paris for two weeks this past September and one of the weeks was especially hot. We neeeded and used the AC several nights. Late September and early October are my favorite times to travel. The weather is good, the days are still a bit long and the gardens are still pretty.

Much as I love Paris, and since you have recently been there, I would consider 5 days there and the remainder in Italy in two locations - either Florence and Rome or Venict and Rome. Lovely locations and so hard to decide. Enjoy!
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 07:32 AM

Despite what Sarastro says, we were in Paris for two weeks this past September and one of the weeks was especially hot.

As I live in Paris, I was also here last September and can´t remember a single day or night when AC was required. Very few residents have AC in their apartments as it´s really not necessary.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 07:56 AM

Echoing comments from posters above: I had 5 weeks in Paris and France in 2011 (Sept and the whole of Oct), and 2 weeks in Oct in 2012 and the weather was fantastic both times. Warm (quite hot on a few days), sunny and very suitable for light clothing. No humidity. It could cool down a little since it is the Fall, but even if it does, not by much and it's still very pleasant.

I didn't need A/C either of those visits. I rarely use A/C here in Canada either.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 09:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I will agree with mamcalice…although it was unusual, the middle of September was hot in 2014. Without air conditioning in our apartment, it would have been miserable.

Old Mar 14th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone!

Planning a trip is easier with only one of us working full time. Less scheduling difficulties.

So...Husband is thinking of end of September, beginning of October. From what people have painted, this is a decent time, weatherwise. Of course, subject to change.

The reason we want Paris is that we just loved it and have so much more to see. But we're *a little* familiar with it now, you know? So move from the "familiar" to the "new." And, if we DO go to Italy in 2017, we can spend literally just a couple of days in Rome (to pick up whatever we missed) and focus on the rest of Italy--or not Rome at all. Not worth thinking that far yet.

So, what's the best way to get from Paris to Rome? I saw in a very quick look on Eurorail that it's 20 hours by train. Really? Hmmm...that's a lot of time. Are there pluses to the train that would comepensate for the gobbled time? Or just fly? (Where are Star Trek transporters?!)

Any answers or general suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 07:20 PM

Fly Paris to Rome
Still say, if you have any interest in Venice, fly Paris to Venice, train to Rome, home from Rome. It is usually easier to fly into Venice than to fly out of Venice.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 10:49 PM

I would fly. If you book a good budget airline like easy jet, it could cost less than 100 euros and it only takes about 2 hours.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 10:50 PM

But keep in mind if you go with easy jet, you'll be flying out of Orly, not CDG.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 12:33 PM

If you want low season, go in augurst - it is the lowest season for hotels.
Nobody in France works in august, so you'll only meet foreigners.
AC is a typical north american thing : if you ahve AC at home, use it - I' ve been living all my life in Europe and never had any AC at home and never use it in hotels.
October can be quite cold/windy/rainy - or can be nice - no way to know in advance.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 03:03 PM

I like flying in or out of Orly. It seems less overwhelming to me but then not as easy to get to or from by train.

Fly, of course. Easy and not expensive. Look at skyscanner.net or whichbudget.com (or both) for fares and schedules.

You could also go somewhere else in France. The Cote d'Azur was pretty glorious at the end of September '14.

We did have one cold and wet day in Paris the first week of October.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Husband says he wants Rome first, staying...I don't know where. He has just a half-dozen "must-do's" there for this trip--the typical tourist stuff. Vatican, colosseum, etc., and LOTS of walking, of course.

Then Paris.

Suggestions for lodgings at the low end? I'll put it this way, in London we stayed at a Tune Hotel; in Paris at the Hotel Dieu (Hotel Hospital)--that's our price range. So private bathroom but we don't NEED fancy, just clean and quiet.

I'll be reading threads on Rome when I get back from our quick trip to visit a friend, so in 2 weeks. I prefer to read others' info before asking a FAQ by mistake.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 09:51 PM

booking.com