Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Thinking of NOT Moving to Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/thinking-of-not-moving-to-europe-470718/)

degas Aug 29th, 2004 09:51 AM

Thinking of NOT Moving to Europe

With so many of your brave, adventuresome folks packing up and moving back to the wonderful "Old World", its going to be very lonely over here in the land of crass strip malls, jacketless dinners, fast food slop, and "big-box" stores! Please send me a postcard and tell me how it all turns out.

flanneruk Aug 29th, 2004 10:03 AM

Degas:

I didn't know you lived in Britain.

ira Aug 29th, 2004 10:03 AM

Dear Degas,

You really ought to think about it. Since moving to Europe, I've had a great time. Paris is, what can I say?..... a movable feast.

Ernest

viennese Aug 29th, 2004 10:09 AM

Now is the time for me to confess that I am a Texan. Sorry, no time for a postcard, busy to catch this old world charm...

Shanna Aug 29th, 2004 10:15 AM

Oh ha ha

I personally will be too busy sipping wine at a cafe and engaging the natives in fascinating philosophical debate about the political activities of all countries other than my own. That is, when I'm not queued up to get into fascinating museums, restaurants where I'm treated like the ex-pat queen, or meeting the most incredibly sophisticated, erudite and amusing men at parties where I'm wearing unwashed but very nicely pressed blue jeans with 4" high heels, shoes I wear every day as I stand around cobbled strets looking divine in my pashmina. I'm am so sorry, degas, but I doubt I will have time to contemplate those left behind. Well, maybe just a moment before I fall asleep in my matrimonial sized bed with duvet and down pillows, with the windows open to the courtyard below and its fragrant flowers, which is tucked away behind an architecturally fascinating and un-modernized medieval street in the old section of any town, EU. And tomorrow - well, tomorrow breakfast of fresh croissants and perfectly-brewed coffee the gods would kill for, served on the rooftop overlooking the river as the sun rises, domes and belltowers aglow with dawn's pink-gold hue.

Hey, we're all just dreaming here.

degas Aug 29th, 2004 10:46 AM

Shanna wrote: And tomorrow - well, tomorrow breakfast of fresh croissants and perfectly-brewed coffee the gods would kill for, served on the rooftop overlooking the river as the sun rises, domes and belltowers aglow with dawn's pink-gold hue.

Good lord, what a glorious setting: I'm calling my real estate agent tomorrow!

USNR Aug 29th, 2004 12:12 PM

And it's always daylight with glorious sunshine, it never rains, it's never ice-covered and foggy. And the plumber always come within the hour, and I get a telephone immediately, the trains always run on time. And seldom is heard a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day. Ahhh, what a pleasure NOT to live in Europe.

atlcity Aug 29th, 2004 12:18 PM

I know you didn't get any "perfectly brewed coffee in Europe unless you went to an American style establishment.

lobo_mau Aug 30th, 2004 07:17 AM

"Thinking of not moving to Europe?"
I'm happy to know...

degas Aug 30th, 2004 08:07 AM

But I'm intent on visiting longer and more often if that gives you comfort!
One must educate and set others on the right path wherever possible.