Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thinking of going to Paris or Italy for a long weekend...

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:39 PM
sandi

My husband and I designated $2500. to spend a few days in Napa or Sonoma California since we couldn't afford a longer trip to Italy. The more we thought about it we realized that with my FF miles, I could get ticket w/ miles to $250.00 each. If we stayed in a fairly inexpensive hotel, we could actually go to Paris or Venice for 3 or 4 days and come home. (We've never been to France but have been to Italy twice)

Has anyone gone to the trouble to jet to Europe for a long weekend?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:50 PM
nycer

Where do you live? I live in NYC and I have taken trips to London and then another time to Paris for a long weekend. They were both 4 day trips and worked out fabulously. In order to make it a real success I think these are the factors to consider:

1) No connections, only direct flights!
2) Can you sleep on the plane? If so great, you will be ready to run once you get to your destination. Otherwise, you may spend several days jet lagged, which cuts into a large portion of your trip.
3) Pack light and carry your bags on the plane. Don't waste precious time waiting for bags, you won't need too much stuff anyway! My husband practically wears the same outfit for three days.
4) Pick a centrally located hotel.
5) Accept the fact that you probably won't see everything, just enjoy the fact that you are on a holiday to Europe, jet setting about!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Doug

I have done it THurs night after work flying back Mon afternoon and had a great time. My experience tells me to only do this to cities that I have been to before and have some knowledge of including the language because the best laid plans of mice and men....

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Grasshopper

I've gone to London from SFO for 4 days and had a great time. Nycer's info is very useful. A direct flight is key. I've also done 4 or 5 day business trips to the Netherlands frequently. I could easily imagine those being pleasure trips.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Sandi, your plan is sound and I do the Thursday-Monday thing once or twice a year. I agree with the carry-on mode. Depending on when you want to travel, you might be able to bag a cheap ticket and earn a load of miles vs. using them, but that's entirely your call. You'll have a wonderful time. GO FOR IT!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:26 PM
marybeth

hi---i have gone to both paris and london on 4 day trips.
a few suggestions---
1)try to get only direct flights---saves alot of time and wear and tear to your body in terms of feeling tired/jet lag.
2) paris---i have a wonderful inexpensive hotel i stay in paris. Hotel d' Orsay--- about 120 euros a night. no frills---but charming and clean. phone # 011 33 1 47 05 85 54
fax # 011 33 1 45 55 51 16
located on the left bank behind the musse d' orsay.
3) don't overload your itinerary---just relish and enjoy the fact that you are in paris--take in the atmosphere and the people. and the food of course!!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 04:04 PM
AGM/Cape Cod

My parents for their 70 and 80th birthday took the family to Paris and London, respectively, for long weekends. We had a great time each trip (getting upgraded to first class on the way to London added another dimension to the weekend). My two suggestions are not to lay down in the hotel when you arrive and to not stress about seeing everything. My niece's teacher told my sister "you won't believe where Sarah said she is going for the weekend" and she was truthful.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:42 AM
sandi

Thanks everyone. We're just beginning our research and are very excited. I usually skip over many of the Paris posts because we've been so consumed with Italy. If you have any suggestions on a 3-day itinerary for a first timer in Paris, feel free to give me your top ten list.

We understand that we won't be able to see "everything" and we're fine with that. Your suggestions are most welcome. We love museums, parks, cathedrals, cafes etc..pretty easy to please.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:50 AM
M

I would go with the one with the shorter flight time. Make sure you consider jet lag adjustments and losing time flying there. From NYC to Italy you can lose a day with the time difference and jet lag. Paris isn't as bad, London even better.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Wendy

Sandi if you pick up Fodor's gold guide for Paris they have wonderful 3 day ininaries in the first few pages.

I also absolutely vote to go for it!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 11:50 AM
sandi

An example of a flight that we had in mind is:

Leave DFW (Dallas) Thurs.10/17 @ 5:35p
land CDG @ 10am 10/18

Have 18, 19 & 20th to run around

Leave CDG 10/21 @ 10:55am
land DFW 10/21 @ 2:25p

What do you think?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:20 PM
janeygirl

I'm doing almost the exact same plan from Chicago next week except that I'm leaving Chicago on Wednesday and my return flight leaves CDG at 2:30 the following Monday. So, I get an extra day over what you're planning. I've also made similar trips to London this way. (I tend to get a little homesick, especially for my dog when I stay longer)

Nonetheless, I don't think you'll regret a trip the length that you're planning, particularly if you follow the previous posters advice.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Alice

I propose that a couple can visit Paris for at least 5 days for under $2500, given the reduced cost of your airfare at $250 pp. My estimated budget is as follows:
500 Air
600 Hotel (2** at 85-90 with breakfast 7-8 pp) - suggestions for moderate hotels abound
100 Taxi to/from airport to hotel (50 each)
70 Metro passes (2)
70 Museum passes (2)
400 Meals ( lunches 10 pp / dinners avg. 20-30 pp; no Michelin dining here!)
500 Miscell spending (plenty of leeway here at 100/day)

Total Estimate = $ 2240

Plenty of time to visit all the majors: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Louvre visit, Musee d’Orsay, Rodin Museum, Notre Dame, Montmartre, stroll thru St Germain, Latin Qtr, Marais (Place des Vosges is nice). An evening concert at Sainte Chapelle, maybe a “Paris Illuminations” tour another evening. Café and jardin-sitting a must. Nice if you can use “S’il vous plait, Merci, Monsieur, Madame, Bonjour”. Plenty of information on this board - You can do it!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Grasshopper

A few tips for making the most of your time. You might want to take Paris Shuttle from the airport to your hotel. You can reserve online at www.parishuttle.com

First thing, take Bateau Mouches. It's not just a touristy thing to do. It gives you a great sense of what is where and a first peak at all the amazing sites. Keep moving when you get there. Don't sleep until 9 or 10 the first night. Tylenol PM helps me sleep on the plane and get through the first night without waking at 3 am.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Dorothy

Just a suggestion; if you are flying on AA non-stop from DFW to CDG in October, buy cheap coach tickets (less than $500) and use your miles to upgrade to business class (25,000 AA miles each way per person). You will still accumulate almost 10,000 base AA miles (more if you are gold, platinum, or executive platinum). When you fly business class, you can use the arrivals lounge at CDG and shower and freshen up. At DFW you can use the Admirals Club (no charge for business and first passengers). When flying home, you can use the Admirals Club at CDG (great croissants and coffee).

We have travelled to Paris for long weekends many times and you do not have to spend anywhere near $2,500 per person, even if you purchase your airfare. Extremely nice hotels abound at $100 per night or less. The metro is cheap and safe. Eating out is reasonable. We almost always spend $750 per person or less, fly business class, stay in posh hotels, and eat well.

Have a great trip!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:38 PM
insomniac

I wouldn't do it because I live on the west coast USA (Seattle) and have a VERY hard time with jet lag & time changes. I would just be staggering and disoriented the entire 3-4 days. That's JUST ME, but I figured I throw it into the pile...

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:02 AM
jw

Sandi, the Dallas/Paris/Dallas plan sounds great to me. If you can upgrade as someone suggests, you'll get a lot of rest on the plane plus the advantage of the courtesy rooms. Bon Voyage!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:54 AM
sue

Hi,

In todays Boston Globe there is a travel article about a mom and her 16 year old daughter who went to Paris for 4 days.Thursday-Monday I am sure you can find this ariticle on-line. Enjoy

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:06 AM
sandi

I wish I coule find coach tickets for less than $500.00. I look on AA.com and travelocity and couldn't find anything for less than $800.

And actually, after calling AA, the return flight that's available (when using miles) is the following day. So we'll have four nights!

Thanks to everyone for your replies and the budget information. There's much to do now! I know only a few words in French and don't even know the currency conversion rate. Time to get busy.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Alice

Just think of the Euro as a "dollar" and you will be close enough. The 'polite words' in French will enhance your verbal exchanges - most Parisians who deal with tourists will probably switch to English most of the time. And my budget is under $2500 total, not per person!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -