Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thinking of a vacation to Europe for anniversary with husband but without young kids? Has anyone done this and enjoyed it?

Thinking of a vacation to Europe for anniversary with husband but without young kids? Has anyone done this and enjoyed it?

Jun 19th, 2000, 05:54 AM
Anniversary

My husband and I have three small children (under 8) and we are considering leaving them home with relatives for a 10-day trip to Europe. It would be for our 15th anniversary. We would want a romantic get-away, but I am a little reluctant to go. I am concerned that I would be so worried and pre-occupied and missing the kids that I would have no fun, so that it would be better to wait a few years until the kids are old enough come along without being a burden.

Has anyone taken such a trip without the kids? Did you enjoy it or were you overcome with guilt? Was there anything you did to make things go smoother for all involved? I know these things are very personal and individual and no one can predict how my kids or I would do, but I'd still like to hear any experience you would care to share.

Jun 19th, 2000, 06:47 AM
herself

My husband and I always took a yearly trip without our four children. I was very lucky with sitters. Either my mom or dad would take over my household or an older neice would do it. Guilt is a mind set. You will feels guilty. Go, have a great time, know that you will be better parents for the break, know that your children will complain, but be fine. We stopped taking those trips for the teenage years. No one wants to babysit four teenagers and at least one of the four refused to come on vacation with us and if you forced them -- you would pay dearly. My kids are all adults now, they laugh about our family vacations and about their adventures when mom and dad went of their annual run away. Now, I babysit my grand child when my son and daughter-in-law go on vacation. Someday soon, I will be sitting for other grand kids.

Jun 19th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Bram

Hi,

My wife and I were in France for 2 weeks in the summer of'98. We left our 6 and 8 year old with our in-laws. Although we had a great time, if we were to do it over again we would go as a family Every time we saw a family together we both felt sad and spent a great deal of time talking about "what it would be like to have the kids here" or "dont you think Zoe would love this". Take the kids and have a great time.

Jun 19th, 2000, 06:54 AM
kk

Even when my child was small, I had no difficulty taking a trip with my husband and leaving my son with my parents. Thus, my outlook is very different from yours to begin with. I would never even ask the question you've asked. I would just go, look forward to doing so with great relish, in fact. I hope you go and have a great time.

However, if you are sure you would worry youself silly, then that doesn't sound like enjoyment to me. So, as we often say on fodors....it depends on your priorities.

WHY do you think your children can't get along without you? What's behind your guilt and fear? Maybe if you dig into that, then you can figure this out for yourself.

Besides, doesn't your husband need you, too? Maybe he has been a little left out with all this devotion to raising three children.

Dr. Fordor, where are you for advice???

Jun 19th, 2000, 07:40 AM
Cecilia

A trip with kids is tottaly different from a trip without them. What's the purpuse of your trip? I think you if you want to get closer to your husband it has to be without kids, besides it like knowing him again. If you decide to go without kids, you surely will feel a little guilt, but once you made the decition, you must think is for the best. 10 days is not that long, we made a 3 weeks trip, we enjoyed it very much but were ready to see our kids by the time we got home. Also I think I missed them so much, I am better momy now. Donīt be scare and go, they will be allright.

Jun 19th, 2000, 08:08 AM
sally

Dear Anniversary: Anyone with small kids deserves a vacation without them!! My husband and I felt a tad guilty and missed our son when we first started leaving him, but he was in good hands and always had fun, so we got used to going off on our own and believe me, it is a necessity not a luxury in a marriage. We now have one grown son and a pre-teen, and every year (and more
often if possible), we go off by ourselves. We do vacation as a family-
in fact the three of us went to London last Oct.-but we take time for just us,
too. Over the years, it has made us a happier couple and more able to deal with whatever parenthood brings, and I really do believe that. I do understand
how you feel, you will miss your kids, but you need time as a couple. Do go, but be sure that you are comfortable with who they are with and then enjoy your trip. YOU deserve it as does your
husband.

Jun 19th, 2000, 08:55 AM
Ed

Our first trip to Europe together was without the kids, ages 16, 14,10 and 8.

Yes, some guilt, but we called home often and enjoyed the trip. And in later years took them along too.

Certainly by age 8 at least one or more of the youngsters is able to help design a trip to suit them too, or at least help, and to enjoy and remember it.

But Moms and Dads deserve a romantic break from time to time. And breaking ground on a first (I presume?) trip to Europe is more easily done and more 'risk' free with just the two of you.

Blaze the trail, and on your next trip when the kids are a bit older, do it as a family.

You'll find the kids will have missed you when you get back home, but a few days with the relatives will be a bit of an adventure by itself ... and they may even appreciate you a bit more when you get back home.

Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria
www.twenj.com