Things to see on way to Mont St. Michel?

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to see on way to Mont St. Michel?

We will be going from Paris to MSM on a Saturday morning (arriving in Paris at either 8:00a or 10:30a). We want to arrive at MSM in the early evening as we will be spending one night there, and will view MSM the next morning, and then return to Paris after that. If we were to rent a car and drive, is there something we could see on the way (I know it's about a 4.5 hr drive)? Or, would we be better off just taking the train and not fooling with a car?
Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:56 PM

If you're arriving from an overseas flight, I wouldn't do a 4.5-hour drive right away. Most I can handle is about 2 hours, and I'm really used to driving in France. If you add on stopping to see things along the way, you'll be totally exhausted when you get there.

But you can't take a train all the way to le Mont-St-Michel - I think you take it to Pontorson and then catch a bus. Or you can train to St-Malo and pick up a car there.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

We'll be coming from either Rome (flying) or an overnight train from Venice. We haven't decided that yet.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM

And be aware that if you fly into CDG (and probably Orly, too; not certain about that), you must get into Paris before you can board a train for Normandy.

Since you're only flying in from Rome, I think taking train or driving would work equally well. Driving, of course, would give you more options along the way.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Not sure if its 'exactly' on the way - I loved Honfluer - a little town with a man made harbor. Worth an overnight stay!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:23 PM
tod

I would forget the car idea for such a short period of time. We have driven
to Mont St.Michel and there is nothing to see along the way except teeny little villages which appeared at regular intervals along the road.
The countryside is really flat and mostly agricultural lands with some sort of crop growing.
By the time you have sorted the paperwork for the car hire and got on your way, had a pit-stop for lunch etc., driven for hours and hours, won't you feel a little tired to enjoy MSM the next day? Then you still have to drive back!
At least we took our time and only left from Avranches - spent a wonderful unhurried day on MSM leaving in time to drop the car in St.Malo.(Our original journey started in Chartres a week before).
Pontorson is very close and you could easily get a bus or taxi to MSM.
Well, those are my thoughts & I wish you a wonderful time in that part of France!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:03 AM

We took a ferry to St. Malo Nov. 2005 and rented a car there. I would take the train, you can sleep, read and just relax. Get a car there. Driving in the area is not difficult. Sounds like it's just to MSM then back to Paris, but we also drove up and saw the D-Day beaches which was truly amazing. Enjoy!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:37 AM

We just made that drive in December, but from MSM to Paris. It is mostly just countryside that you see on the route but there is one stop to make on the trip. The Chartres Cathedral is right off the highway; in fact you can see it from the highway about an hour to an hour and a half (as best as I remember) from Paris. A nice hour or so break to see it would be worth it. As far as hotels, I would recommend the Las Terrasses Poulard hotel on MSM. Great views from the room and being on the Mount allows you to get an earlier start than if you weren't staying there. Have fun.