Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Things to do near venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/things-to-do-near-venice-860834/)

Tony_in_venice Sep 26th, 2010 09:44 AM

Things to do near venice

Hi All. Now I'm in Venice. I arrived yesterday slightly earlier than expected and enjoyed looking around. Today I looked around thoroughly and have basically done everything that was on my list. Venice was great, and I was fortunate that the weather was fine. Even with the crowds and high prices, I still enjoyed myself.

However I have one more day left, I can either spend it in venice, and perhaps visit some of the smaller museums or art galleries, or I'm thinking about taking a day trip to somewhere nearby. I would greatly appreciate some suggestions for suitable day trips from Venice. Perhaps within an hour or so by train or bus. I've visited a lot of museums recently, so i'm thinking something other than museums might be preferable. Thanks.

nytraveler Sep 26th, 2010 09:54 AM

Have you been to Murano to see the glass-blowing? To Torcello to see the ancient monuments? To Burano to see the quaint lace making village?

If you really want to leave Venice you could go to Verona, which is fascinating. We did it by car but I'm sure that train is easy too.

Waldo Sep 26th, 2010 09:59 AM

If you saw and did everything on your list in ONE DAY in Venice, you have a very short and incomplete list. I'm sure I can speak for many others that it would take much more than one day to really take in Venice. I may be wrong, but that's my humble opinion.

Challiman Sep 26th, 2010 10:04 AM

Ditto what Waldo said! I hope you'll spend more time there, so many interesting things to see and do. Since you have Internet access, just take a look at the trip reports from Venice! Lots of good ideas there.

StCirq Sep 26th, 2010 10:06 AM

Wow. You "did" Venice in a day? Astonishing. But if you really think you've covered it all, you could take the train to Padua or Vicenza or many other places in the Veneto - or as mentioned out to the islands.

Tony_in_venice Sep 26th, 2010 10:56 AM

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Have I seen everything Venice has to offer? No of course not. I realise that I have only scratched the surface. My list of must sees was quite short, and in fact I have almost spent two days in Venice which was enough to tick them off. In fact I make a point not to make it too long because then I feel obligated to visit all those things, when sometimes I like to just take things as they come. I could easily spend another day here or even a week looking at things, but I'm not sure when I will be back to Italy, so I'm thinking a day trip to see something with a different flavor might be an alternative worthwhile considering.

So any suggestions? One problem is that I have just about had my fill of a) museums and b) churches

HappyTrvlr Sep 26th, 2010 11:14 AM

Take the train to Padua, Bassano del Grappa, or Vicenza.

Sidny Sep 26th, 2010 12:45 PM

I'm admittedly no expert on the area, but I rec staying in Venice. If you've checked everything off your list, then just wander and see what you see--it sounds like you don't mind not having a detailed itinerary. IMHO, you're more likely to see something interesting (not including churches, museums, etc.), in Venice than in any other town that's within day-trip range.

Venezia123 Sep 26th, 2010 04:03 PM

Take ferry to Brano

suze Sep 26th, 2010 04:45 PM

I spent 5 days in Venice on two different trips, just wandering around. Didn't even go to any museums. There's all kinds of interesting things to see around every corner.

But if you're bored with it... How about taking a vaporetto out to one of the islands &/or the Lido? That's pretty straight forward and easy to do and would take up most of your second day.

I_heart_Venice Sep 27th, 2010 05:52 AM

If you list your short list, other suggestions could be more easily forthcoming...

k9korps Sep 27th, 2010 06:03 AM

You want to spend some money? The Cipriani runs a free, private water taxi to the hotel on Giudecca. The taxi stand is on the water and a little east of San Marco (near the Alilaguna boat stop). Take it and go to "Cip's" for dinner -- on the water with a view of Venice. Before dinner, you can wander around Giudecca.