Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Things to do in IRELAND any suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/things-to-do-in-ireland-any-suggestions-767851/)

cassiesmu Feb 16th, 2009 08:31 AM

Things to do in IRELAND any suggestions

Ok, so we have picked out or places to visit. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do in each area? It is our Honeymoon and well, things that are a must and things that may be unique? We love to do anything. I am just looking for ideas like Pubs that are a must or certain sceneries that cant be missed?

We fly into Shannon this May.
Drive to Dingle for 3 days.

Then we drive to Kenmare for 3 days.

Then we drive up to Galway for 3 days.

Then we are staying at the Dromoland Castle for 3 days.

We are planning on seeing the Cliffs of Moehr (sp?)
Playing Golf- I know the courses at the nice hotels are expensive are there any that are close by these cities that are cheaper but just as good?

ANY suggestions would help out!

Thanks

jent103 Feb 17th, 2009 09:34 PM

Hi cassiesmu - what made you want to visit these particular areas specifically? (They're great choices, just wondered what your particular thought process was. That might help people give better advice.)

Around Kenmare, I'd investigate Killarney National Park; I've hiked the Gap of Dunloe and took a boat tour across the lakes, and there are several other sights within the park. In Dingle, definitely drive the Slea Head loop. I think there are also horseback riding opportunities there; hopefully someone else will chime in if you're interested in that. I wish we'd had time to visit Inch while we were in Dingle.

The Cliffs of Moher are great, but won't take more than half a day if you only see them from the visitors' centre. We took the boat tour and I really enjoyed it (cliffs-of-moher-cruises.com).

tod Feb 17th, 2009 10:49 PM

Hi Cassiesmu - We will be around in May as well. We love photography and wildlife. One of our main aims is to find the rare flowers that bloom on The Burren in Springtime.
If you go there look down into the cracks between the rocks for these superb little plants.

NEDSIRELAND Feb 18th, 2009 01:43 AM

BallyBunion Golf Links is on the Dingle Peninsula. Old Head is near Kinsale, County Cork.
Greg Norman's Doonberg Course is close to Dromoland Castle.
All three, and Lahinch (further up the County Clare Coast) are very expensive by U.S. Standards.
Less expensive but fun to play is Spanish Point Golf Links (9-hole) just 2km south of Miltown Malbay in County Clare and Connemara Isles Golf Links, about 40km west of Galway City; but the latter is too rocky for me.
If you really want a Golfing experience, continue North from Galway to Mayo and to Belmullet. Carne Golf Links there is rated in the same category as BallyBunion and Royal County Down, but it's reasonable to play and they have about a dozen 'Buggies' (i.e., riding carts). My last trip there I was picked up hitch-hiking by 2-couples in a Mercedes Van: They were from The Woodlands (Conroe, TX, where the Houston Open used to be played). I guided them to the Course.
http://www.carnegolflinks.com

cassiesmu Feb 18th, 2009 06:50 AM

We wanted to stay away from Dublin..nothing too metropolitan. Some of these places I found on forums here. Then we were told we have to see Galway so we added that on the end of the trip...we really want to see traditional Ireland...nothing too crazy busy.

cassiesmu Feb 18th, 2009 06:52 AM

Also on the GOLF...I was looking on some of these courses and they say we have to have a handicap certificate...are all courses like this?

NEDSIRELAND Feb 18th, 2009 07:11 AM

Golf in Ireland: The Irish don't usually go off the first tee very early in the AM. I'm an early morning golfer: like to tee off before 8:00AM. I think that qualifies one for a discount on the Green Fee at Carne.

They list a whole bunch of places to stay, mainly in Ballina. Left out my favorite: Crocket's on the Quay. I think I would stay in Westport, mainly for the Trad Irish Music and the N59 connects from Westport to Bangor Erris. I've also stayed at BrigOwn in Ballina (a few doors from Croclet's), at Evelyn Cosgrove's Hilltop House in Bangor Erris and at a nicer place off the main road where Evelyn sends her 'overflow' guests. In Belmullet I've stayed at Drom Cain B&B and at the Western Strands Hotel. the latter was very noisy on a Thursday night: There was a group from U.C.S.B. doing their Riverdance impression and my room was above the Bar..

rosetravels Feb 18th, 2009 07:42 AM

Great choices. I'm less fond of Galway as it seemed like a university crazy pub scene (new Ireland) rather than the fun & friendly pub scene we were looking for. We loved Westport for the fun pub & music scene and the great day trips in the area. I can't remember where Dromoland is and Westport may be out of your way. But I'd find somewhere other than Galway for those 3 days.

CAPH52 Feb 18th, 2009 07:55 AM

Sorry to disagree with you, Rose, but I like Galway. As you know, my daughter did her internship there (and met her husband!)so I'm somewhat biased!. I very much agree with you about Westport. But if it's not feasible to fit it in, I think Galway is a good choice.

For one thing, you can do a wonderful day trip to Inis Mor (Aran Islands) from Galway. And there are some great pubs in Galway. The Quays, Tigh Coli, An Pucan and Tigh Naughton (or something very similar!) to name but a few!

colbeck Feb 18th, 2009 11:55 AM

Perhaps things have changed, but a few years ago we played several of the courses in the areas that you will be visiting. These included Ballybunion Old, Lahinch, Tralee, Waterville and Old Head. As I recall (and my husband agrees) that we indeed did have to carry handicap cards. Neither of us can remember what the minimum handicap was. These courses all required caddies as well, which really added to the cost. They are all beautiful links courses, but very pricey, especially Old Head, which is near Kinsale. (Which, by the way, is a great town to visit in west Cork)

Some of the less known couses may be more flexible in their rules, and less expensive. However, playing a links course, if you can, is an enjoyable part of the Irish experience.
There are online sites (www.irelandgolfandleisure.com is one)where you can book tee times ahead, as many of the well known courses are difficult to book, unless done a good deal ahead of time.

BumblyWumbly Feb 18th, 2009 01:16 PM

When my parents came to stay with us, they played golf in Ballyheigue Castle Golf Club which I thought was a lovely setting for a game. It's really close to the beach too if you want a walk along the famous Banna Strand.

Listowel is nearby and is one of my favourite towns. The pubs are the real deal, if you have to pick just one, try John B. Keane's and check out all the theatre posters on the walls.

Driving from Shannon to Dingle you will probably go via the Connor Pass. If so, try to stop off for a walk along Glenahoo Valley. You'll probably need an Ordnance Survey map to find it, but once you do, you might find you have the whole valley to yourself apart from the sheep and horses. There's a waterfall at the top of the valley, if you're fit enough to hike that far! My husband would have a fit if he thought I was telling the internets about our favourite walk, but since it's your honeymoon...
btw, there is parking at the entrance to Glenahoo valley, you just need to drive up a little track to the side of a run-down-looking house that has a cobbled yard to the front. Don't drive up the track just before it, because it's a dead end, and there's a cranky old woman living there :D

Also recommending Annascaul, and buying small local guidebooks whenever you find them.

rosetravels Feb 18th, 2009 02:20 PM

Caph is right (and she's now fortunate enough to be an Irish-in-law! ;) ) The day trips from Galway are great - one of the Aran islands plus Connemara. Our daughter, at 22, really liked Galway.

We stayed in Kenmare for a week and loved it. Our favorites: we had a great day driving around and then hiking on Sheepshead Peninsula and another day took a very special trip out to Skellig Michael on a boat, from the ROK. If you're interested in history or birds do look into that. It's weather dependent but very cool.

cassiesmu Feb 20th, 2009 08:58 AM

BUMBLY WUMBLY- your suggestion is exactly the kind of things I hope to hear about on here.
Can you email me [email protected] specifics about Glenahoo Valley. I wasnt sure about which "track" (is that a dirt road) to take. I dont want to upset any old ladies. Also where do you find a ordance survey map? I am really really excited about your suggestion...I wont tell your husband! haha.

thanks

cassiesmu Mar 3rd, 2009 01:02 PM

I need help:

We are driving from Shannon to Dingle.
Which route should we take? I need specifics..is there a website that I should use to help map it out?

Someone earlier mentioned Glennahoo Valley via the Connor Pass. How do I figure out where this valley is? I cant seem to find it.
Also, my book suggest the slea head drive route but doesnt give me specifics on how to get there from Dingle or on our way from Shannon.

Then (not the same day) we are driving from KENMARE to GALWAY.
Any suggestion on where to stop for lunch? or shop?

Thanks

GreenDragon Mar 3rd, 2009 01:12 PM

I use www.viamichelin.com for route planning. Make sure to estimate 35 mph on any trips! :)

Connor Pass is on the road that is north/south across the middle of the Dingle Peninsula. You can't miss it :) It is a fantastic view, though a bit harrowing on the way south to the top. The way down (still south) to Dingle is wider - that's the way the buses go.

Slea head is on the outer road around Dingle. It's a big loop around the end of the peninsula, and you can either begin and end in Dingle town, or go the northern route. It is, IMHO, one of the most beautiful drives I've ever been on. Perhaps even THE most beautiful.

Dingle has lots of great pubs. It also has a great Chinese restaurant we ate at called Tir-na-Ri (land of the kings - the owner's name means King in Chinese).

Other things to see in the Galway area include the Burren - a great day trip would be exploring the Burren and then ending up at the Cliffs of Moher near sunset. In the Burren are various sites like Caherconnel stone fort, Poulnabrone Dolmen, Ailwee caves, and Ballyvaughn (Monk's Pub has good food, right on the water). Then you could finish off the day in Doolin for some music, if you like :)

jent103 Mar 3rd, 2009 03:12 PM

Agreed; viamichelin.com was very helpful, as was the guideline popular on this site to add 50% to the times it gives you! I would take the Killimer-Tarbert ferry from Shannon to Dingle - this saves you having to drive in Limerick.

The Slea Head drive is just beautiful. It's pretty straightforward from Dingle town.

Irishgal127 Mar 8th, 2009 09:15 PM

Hi...just got back from the areas you want to go to - the Slea Head Drive is awesome -- if you are not a "NO FEAR" driver...there is a GREAT tour given by Sean O'Conner - you can get his number in the Travel Center every day - we did the Slea Head Drive with him and it was a lot of fun...I can NOT imagine driving those roads (some were so tiny it looked like a one-way to me!)

Did the dolphin tour (corny as it was) got into see Fungie and watching him swim right next to our boat!

Had a great dinner in dingle and an awful one - lolol...The pub we loved the best was (oh darn....forgot the name) but big yellow pub - music there EVERY night of the year! Great place--- avoid Deidre's Cafe - very expensive lunch - so many great places in dingle - if you've not booked a place to stay ,...Emlagh Lodge was awesome.....Maggie was a gracious host...if you need any more specifics -- email me at [email protected] - more than happy to share!

Irishgal127 Mar 8th, 2009 09:18 PM

Forgot to ask - you fly into shannon and drive right away to dingle??? Not staying in Shannon area at all??? Long drive for a first day after a long flight -- have you thought of flying from shannon to cork - and driving over from cork? or staying a night in shannon area?

The cliffs are worth the trip - so beautiful ...(have some shots if you'd like to see) - the burren is wonderful and just so much - you won't regret the trip - one peice of advice....PACK LIGHT!!! Pack everything you want to take - then leave 1/2 at home - we way overpacked and it was awful!

BumblyWumbly Mar 11th, 2009 02:30 AM

Shannon to Dingle isn't that long a drive (2.5 hours?), it would be be about the same as Cork to Dingle.

For a drive from Kenmare to Galway, I would stop in Adare, but you could also take the less obvious route through Killarney, (possibly Killorglin,) Tralee, Listowel - any of those towns would give you good shopping/lunch opportunities.