Search

Romania in january

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romania in january

Hi ,
i going to Bukarest,Romania at 11-15.01.15 for business.
i thought to stay at the weekend - friday to sunday and travel to apollonia brasov .
i read that the temprature in Romania is around 0 deg. and below .
do you think its possible to travel in brasov in this temprature ?
what can i do there for the weekend ( I'm not a skier) ?
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 03:19 AM

Yes of course it's possible to travel in Brasov (and to Brasov, if that's what you meant) when it's freezing. The A3 is up to motorway standards only as far as Ploiesti - but most of Romania's economy uses the E60 on to Brasov to export to the rest of Europe year-round, and there's an adequate direct railway service.

It has the standard prettified Eastern European pseudo-historic town centre, with some interesting buildings nearby, though surrounded by some of Europe's ugliest factories (those no longer used being especially ugly).

Though much of the Dracula mythology round the nearby Bran Castle is invented, it's a reasonably entertaining place. Steak on a stake was on the menu last time we went
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most of the towns leading up to the Transylvanian plateau are interesting to visit. Roads will be clear and the ski resorts not a bad place to become a skiier.

Don't get fooled to stay in any communist era hotels (cheap and rubbish) or check into any so called international ones (pricy and rubbish) look out for smaller hotels with what look like lower prices and a modern set of buildings. These tend to be good value and the owners will have lived/worked in the West and understand the basics of customer service.

What to do, eat, drink, visit museums, and Duckula's castle various. Some of the better state museums are ok. If you get up onto the Plateau you will find the Hungarian stuff more interesting.
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 07:21 AM

Hello,

Of course it will be possible to travel to Brasov in January. Transylvania is very nice in winter, especialy if it will a little bit of snow.

Brasov is one of the most beautiful towns of Romania. On the way to Brasov, a nice stop will be in Sinaia Mountain Resort for visiting Peles Castle, the castle of the Royal Family.

Another famous Castle is in Bran, Bran Castle is famous because of Dracula Legend.

Brasov itself is a medieval old town with a very nice old city center - there will be nice to visit Black Church and The Council Square. A nice view over the city is fromm The White Tower or Tampa Mountain (get there with the cable car). Brasov has lots of accommodations very nice - guesthouses in the old city.

You can stay one night in Brasov and the other night to have it in Sighisoara, a medieval citadel included in Unesco World Heritage. On the way, you can have a stop to discover how it looks a Saxon Village. Viscri Village with its Fortified Church is worth a visit - also, Unesco WH.

Since I know pretty well the area, feel free to ask for more. Regards !
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 09:45 PM

2 of us have 9 days to spend in Romania in April. Should we get a guide? Should we use the train to go from place to place or a guide to drive us?
can you recommend any guides? any other thoughts to make our trip more interesting? Thanks so much
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will get more replies if you start your own thread.

Click on my name for my Romania TR. I traveled mostly by rail and did not use a guide, aside from a Greeter in Bucharest.
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 10:37 AM

The best option is to have a guide with a car to drive you to all the places.
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best option for the guide, maybe, not necessarily for the traveler.

Having suffered with a truly terrible guide in Romania, and traveling on a budget, I opted to go it (mostly) solo on my second visit, and have no regrets.
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 11:30 AM

Agree ! But you cannot generalize. Some people are very pleased with their experiences with some guides. The advantage is that a professional guide knows the hidden places that are not in the guidebooks and can provide some experiences that are not written in guidebooks.