Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Things to check out when you finally return to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/things-to-check-out-when-you-finally-return-to-paris-1696649/)

kerouac Apr 1st, 2021 09:16 AM

Things to check out when you finally return to Paris

More things have happened while you were away.

The Changing Face of Paris: What to Expect When You Return ⋆ SECRETS OF PARIS

tracilee Apr 1st, 2021 09:09 PM

That’s a great website, Kerouac, thanks for the link. Makes me long for our next trip to Paris even more!

YankyGal Apr 2nd, 2021 10:41 AM

Great info - thanks kerouac. I subscribe to this newsletter but somehow missed it.

TPAYT Apr 2nd, 2021 11:06 AM

Thanks for posting kerouac. Excellent information for those of us who miss visiting Paris.

TDudette Apr 2nd, 2021 11:43 AM

Thanks, kerouac. The Marine museum sounds intriguing. Do you suppose the non-marine items and the resto's will bring in more diverse folks?

kerouac Apr 3rd, 2021 03:38 AM

It is nice this spring to see all of the parks and gardens in perfect condition with the flowers and trimming. Last year at this time all of the parks were closed and everything was allowed to go wild in Paris. It had a certain apocalyptic charm as seen through the fences and gates, but it would not be what most people are expecting in a city like Paris.

cheska15 Apr 3rd, 2021 03:53 AM

kerouac thanks as always. Hope you are managing ok in the current situation and that things improve in France by the end of 2021.

Dee_Dee Apr 3rd, 2021 05:34 AM

Kerouac, thank you so much for posting this! I have been wondering (and somewhat dreading) what Paris will look like post pandemic. The article provides insight into so many exciting changes and additions. I have my fingers and toes crossed I'll be back in December!

ellen75005 Apr 3rd, 2021 11:57 AM

kerouac, I saw this too and thought it was so interesting. Thanks for posting it!

I have 16 days scheduled in Paris for October and am guardedly optimistic that I'll be able to go. So far my list of "to-do's" is three pages long - and we're still six months out!

It will indeed be interesting to see the changes from the past year plus.

Ellen

Macross Apr 3rd, 2021 05:45 PM

I told my husband we could bike now that it is friendlier. He was tempted by the scooter's last visit. Did you get the jab yet? We called the Paris hotel we have vouchers for and they said vaccine proof would be needed. Accor. He was so sweet and kept talking and talking on the phone. I think he was bored as they were closed. He was hoping by May for an opening date. Stay well and thank you for the link. My France 24 channel was replaced by the German one. UGH.

Dee_Dee Apr 4th, 2021 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Macross (Post 17228969)
I told my husband we could bike now that it is friendlier. He was tempted by the scooter's last visit. Did you get the jab yet? We called the Paris hotel we have vouchers for and they said vaccine proof would be needed. Accor. He was so sweet and kept talking and talking on the phone. I think he was bored as they were closed. He was hoping by May for an opening date. Stay well and thank you for the link. My France 24 channel was replaced by the German one. UGH.

Macross, FYI, I watch France 24 Live on my laptop now. https://www.france24.com/en/live

Macross Apr 4th, 2021 04:00 AM

Thank you DeeDee, it would come on here right before BCC news on my PBS station.

kerouac Apr 4th, 2021 07:54 AM

There are really large numbers of things like France24 to which you can gain access through the internet, but you have to be determined to find some of them.

Dee_Dee Apr 5th, 2021 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac (Post 17229152)
There are really large numbers of things like France24 to which you can gain access through the internet, but you have to be determined to find some of them.

Kerouac, do you have any suggestions for Francophiles with barely intermediate French language skills? Lately I've been watching French history documentaries on youtube (in English).

ellen75005 Apr 5th, 2021 03:23 PM

Dee Dee, you might want to try Inner French. It's a series of videos and podcasts by a young French man by the name of Hugo Cotton. He speaks at a speed that is very understandable. I speak French pretty well and France 24 is sometimes a chore for me to follow. He has a ton of videos on youtube on culture, grammar and lots of other areas. It would be worth giving it a try.

Dee_Dee Apr 6th, 2021 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by ellen75005 (Post 17229572)
Dee Dee, you might want to try Inner French. It's a series of videos and podcasts by a young French man by the name of Hugo Cotton. He speaks at a speed that is very understandable. I speak French pretty well and France 24 is sometimes a chore for me to follow. He has a ton of videos on youtube on culture, grammar and lots of other areas. It would be worth giving it a try.

Thank you ellen75005! I just found his website and started listening to his podcast on French cuisine. You are so right. He speaks at a speed which is much more understandable for me! I also see he has transcriptions available but to view them you have to sign up to receive them (which I will). I seem to be a visual learner. Thank you for this excellent source! I agree about France 24 news when I try to listen to the French version. I have come to the conclusion that the weather women are paid by their rate of words per minute! LOL!

ellen75005 Apr 6th, 2021 02:30 AM

Haha, yes I agree about the weather ladies! I think that's pretty much the case with everyone who broadcasts the news in France. I turn on the TV news every time I'm in France, but I find that I have to really concentrate unlike when I listen to news in English when I can be cooking or doing something else while I have it on. Have fun with Inner French!