Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   They don't speak Spanish in Spain???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/they-dont-speak-spanish-in-spain-60096/)

Debbie Jan 18th, 2000 01:55 AM

They don't speak Spanish in Spain????

I have been learning some Spanish recently to help with my forthcoming trip to Spain (first time) I have just been told that in parts of Spain the speak a different language /dialect than in the capital city. Is this is really true? I will be going to Bilbao, Lisbon, Barcelona and Madrid.

miriam Jan 18th, 2000 02:40 AM

Hi Debbie, <BR>in Madrid you`ll have no problems. The part of the country where Barcelona is located, is called Cataluna and yes, a lot of people there speak Catalan and that´s more than just a dialect. You`ll understand only a few words, the language is a kind of mixture of Spanish, Italian and French. But on the other hand nearly everybody knows Castellano, which is the Spanish you learn in school, as well. The people of Cataluna are very proud of their culture and there are some people who`re even thinking about independence. A shopkeeper once refused talking Castellano with me and if you think of the Olympic Games-all signs were written in both languages. But I think that even people who normally speak Catalan within the family will speak Castellano with you, especially when they recognize that you`re from abroad. <BR>In Lisbon they speak portuguese. Some people might speak Spanish as well, more than in any other European country. <BR> <BR>Have fun <BR> <BR>Miriam <BR>

ilisa Jan 18th, 2000 04:17 AM

When we were in Spain, I found that in Barcelona, when I asked a question in Spanish, people would answer in Catalan. It posed a challenge, but a fun one.

cervantes Jan 18th, 2000 05:02 AM

Actually the picture is even more blurred. Apart from Catalonia, Catalán is also spoken in other parts of Spain, such as the Balearic islands (Mallorquín dialect), a bit of Aragón and Valencia (although in this latter region they claim it is a different language, called Valenciano). Bask is spoken in most of the Bask country and parts of Navarra. Whereas Lisbon is not Spanish since the XVIIth century, in the Northern bit of Spain they speak Galician, close to Portuguese. Not far from there, in Asturias, there is a local dialect called bable (or leonés). There is also a small tip of Catalonia where another language is spoken: Aranés. In the Pyrenees, a few visionaries try to re-invent a language from the middle ages (fabla aragonesa). Of course, the Spanish in Southern Spain (notably in Andalucía) can also be difficult to understand if there is a strong local accent. <BR> <BR>The funny thing is that ABSOLUTELY ALL those people can speak to you in perfect Spanish if they want to, but it is fashionable and politically correct to mess things up. <BR> <BR>Go to Mexico !

elvira Jan 18th, 2000 06:10 AM

Catalan is pretty easy to decipher if you speak any of the Romance languages (as Miriam said, it's a combo). <BR>Bilbao is in the Basque region, and they speak Euskadi (Basque). No known origin, it resembles no other European language....fortunately, they also speak Spanish, for those of us who don't speak Basque. <BR>You'll find lots of English in your four cities - they are tourist destinations so waiters, hotel staff, etc. usually have a working knowledge of English. <BR>

frankr Jan 19th, 2000 04:49 AM

There exists some prejudice against <BR>Spanish speakers in Catalan areas, but <BR>this does not apply to tourists, it's <BR>only fellow Spaniards who get the rubber ear.The Portugese definitely get a bit <BR>shirty if you address them in Spanish, <BR>it's tempting to use it as they seem a bit similar (to us)(tourists often do it) but it really is a bit insulting to brush aside someone's language, luckily the Portugese are easy-going!Learn a little Portugese & supplement it with English, not Spanish, unless stuck.

Debbie Jan 19th, 2000 06:08 AM

Having spent a short but intensive time on a faily expensive spanish language course I am beginning to feel it was a waste of time and money. I have even heard that the language even differs with that spoken in south and Central America. Frankly I am thinking of dropping it completely and just speaking English. Is it any wonder english has become the language of the World with nonsense like this!

Rex Jan 19th, 2000 06:17 AM

In reference to "nonsense"... in describing variations in language... <BR> <BR>...and just think, some peole actually send their kids to school where they teach religion... <BR> <BR>When will all the English speakers get all THAT mess all straightened out!? <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>www.allexperts.com <BR> <BR>(and no, I don't answer religion questions there)

nancy Jan 19th, 2000 06:37 AM

Debbie, <BR> <BR>I think you should not only save yourself some money by dropping your Spanish course, but it is probably best that you cancel your trip to Spain entirely with your attitude about cultural diversity...."NONSENSE" that different versions of Spanish are spoken in the dozens of countries in the world that use it!?!?! Are you kidding??? What should we do with variations of English that are spoken in the US, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, etc...? I think you are looking for advice on the wrong forum. Good luck sitting on your own couch, listening to the TV talking heads speaking regulation English, and you can eat only regulation Kraft macaroni and cheese! Nancy

dan woodlief Jan 19th, 2000 07:26 AM

Debbie, I would stick with the Spanish lessons (while, I do think Nancy's comments are justified). There are travel language guides that list both the "Spanish" Spanish and Latin American Spanish. I would think it is better to learn both than to learn neither. Do you think Europeans who learn "American" English in school would have the same feelings when planning a trip to London or Sydney? Actually, in the U.S., there are increasingly more people who don't speak the same language, but that is another issue.

ilisa Jan 19th, 2000 07:32 AM

Debbie, I am really wondering how you can even think of venturing into another part of the world with the attitude that languages and dialects older than what we speak here in the United States are nonsense. That astounds me. The United States does not have the market cornered on language. You need to open your mind more. Because if you go on this trip, you will find not only different languages, but different customs and ways of living. Fancy that. If you go with the attitude that all is nonsense, you will have a rude awakening and a most unenjoyable trip.

maria Jan 19th, 2000 09:18 AM

Debbie, <BR> <BR>The bad news for you is that there are 5 official languages in Spain...the good news is that the Spanish people (all of whom speak Castellano) are the most gracious, kind and proud-of-their-country people that you will find anywhere on the face of the earth. Therefore, the fact that you are attempting to speak Spanish at all with them will be appreciated and they will, in turn, do their very best to make you, a foreigner, welcome in their beautiful, historic, cultural melting pot!!! Espero que tengas un viaje muy bueno y que hables mucho con la gente espanola!! <BR> Maria

Cheryl Z. Jan 19th, 2000 09:58 AM

<BR>Learning another language is NEVER a waste of time. (well, ok, my learning Latin in 8th grade is another story - am I dating myself here??) Since Lisbon is in Portugal, learn some basic Portuguese. It's a delightful sounding language and completely different from Spanish. <BR>Don't worry about the language so much - you'll do fine with just some basics as long as you're polite, and trying. Concentrate on discovering the two countries and their people. We loved our first trip to both this past year. And as mentioned above the people are very friendly and helpful. Food is great, much to see and do, and both countries very inexpensive.

elvira Jan 19th, 2000 10:59 AM

The study of another language gives you insight into the culture. The Eskimo language has hundreds of words for snow; Navajo has over 30 words for rain; in Hebrew, there is a word for the relationship between mothers-in-law. Just think about how many English words mean inebriated. <BR>Now, doesn't THAT just put a twist on things...

Rex Jan 19th, 2000 11:45 AM

Cheryl, <BR> <BR>The study of Latin doesn't date anyone; my youngest daughter is taking her third year of it now - - and while I look forward to her taking a "living" language (aren't there only two kinds of languages: dead and dying?) - - I think it is no less valuable than the French, Spanish and Italian that our other two daughters have taken. <BR> <BR>Monolinguistically Yours... NOT <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>

Falcon Jan 20th, 2000 04:44 AM

Debbie your are quite right. Stick to English - no point in learning Spanish if the natives don't want to speak it, preferring some obscure dialect instead. Remember the customer is KING and to get your custom ($$$$$$) they will learn and speak English to your hearts delight.

Louis Jan 20th, 2000 08:00 AM

Debbie, By all means learn Spanish. Not only will it be useful in Spain but also in Mexico, Guatemala, Cuba (where I am from), Puerto Rico, Venezuela and on and on thoughout Latin America. The true name of the Spanish language is Castellano, and it is spoken everywhere in Spain. When someone in Barcelona has answered me in Catalan, or in La Coruna in Gallego, to my statement in Castellano, I've simply informed them in my very good Cuban Spanish that I don't understand him/her and to please speak in Spanish -- and voila -- they speak Spanish, especially in the stores where you will be spending your American dollars. I would not take the attitude, however, that good ole American English is good 'nough simply because you will be spending dollars. That's what gives us gringos a bad name.

Maira Jan 20th, 2000 08:58 AM

Debbie- the true nonsense in your message is that you'd be so willing to believe such an ignorant (and false) statement. The statement is as ridiculous as to say that if you go to England, NOBODY will understand you and/or you will not understand anybody. I speak English and Spanish, both fluently and have travelled extensively in the Caribean and South America. NEVER HAD TO LEARN ANY OTHER SPANISH (?). There is what is called regionalisms, or objects being called by different names, but that's a phenomenon that occurs in almost every country/culture and, by far, should not be a significant deterrent in establishing basic communication lines. <BR> <BR>As far as the statement posted by FALCON, he had me rolling, I guess the stupid, ugly American stereotype still alive and well somewhere....

Jim Jan 20th, 2000 11:04 PM

As an American here in London, English the only useful language in the continent of Europe. By all means learn a foreign language if you must, but to really be able to use it, you need to get to a very high standard and that will really take alot of time. It is pointless being able to ask "where is the hotel" if then you don't understand the answer, with the result that they have to reply in english after all. Forget Elvira's culture crap, in decent museums, galleries etc, the notes are often written in English too.

ilisa Jan 21st, 2000 04:30 AM

Jim, thank you for your wonderful insight into the mind of an ignorant, ugly American. I'm sure many of the people of Europe for whom English is not their first language will disagree with your statement that English is the only useful language in Europe. And culture crap? Thank you for helping me realize that other cultures are crap. Now I feel so enlightened by your worldliness.